Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Re: Long term effects of COVID on attendance

Postby Red » December 23rd, 2021, 10:02 am

BCPanther wrote:People realized that it's a helluva lot easier, and exponentially cheaper, to sit at home and watch it on the big screen with better views than you could ever hope to have in the arena.

This echoes the point that I made last year. I wouldn't be surprised if college sports see a precipitous decline is attendance over the next decade.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TBS_20 » December 23rd, 2021, 10:41 am

Go look at Baylor's new 7-7.5k arena. I'd much rather have that
TBS_20
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » February 2nd, 2022, 11:09 pm

For those planning on going to Arch Madness, be aware that proof of vaccination or negative test is required. Masks are also required. May not be news but I hadn't heard it until tonights broadcast. This will undoubtedly affect attendance to some degree in a negative way. I'm so over Covid.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » February 3rd, 2022, 12:34 am

bleach wrote:For those planning on going to Arch Madness, be aware that proof of vaccination or negative test is required. Masks are also required. May not be news but I hadn't heard it until tonights broadcast. This will undoubtedly affect attendance to some degree in a negative way. I'm so over Covid.

I didn't know about the proof of vaccination/negative COVID test until they said during tonight's game too. Must be new. Gonna be a lot of pissy people and maybe bad attendance
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » February 3rd, 2022, 12:36 am

Bulldog2323 wrote:Drake attendance also disappointing right now. We sold more season tickets than we had since at least the 2008 season but only about 60% of them are showing up to games. Many are blaming Drake's mask mandate but I think it's more than that. Iowa State going from 2-18 to #9 in the country and undefeated absolutely taking away the casual fan attention.

Drake attendance tends to improve in conference play at least a little bit. We'll see how it goes.

SIU apparently leads the Valley in attendance and has 4,000 tickets sold every game but feels like crowds have been a lot smaller than past years except for the students that are showing up in force. Tonight's game aside because of winter weather.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » February 3rd, 2022, 7:49 am

bleach wrote:For those planning on going to Arch Madness, be aware that proof of vaccination or negative test is required. Masks are also required. May not be news but I hadn't heard it until tonights broadcast. This will undoubtedly affect attendance to some degree in a negative way. I'm so over Covid.

Does anybody know if fully vaccinated means the booster too? I also noticed the Enterprise Center policy states that they offer free onsite testing to the insured, but this was put out in October. Is that still happening and will it be running the full time at Arch Madness (including Thursday night)?
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bjhracer » February 3rd, 2022, 7:58 am

Has anyone been to an event this year where they actually asked to see vaccination status? I’ve been to multiple events including in St Louis over the last month or so. Each event said mask required and proof of vaccination or negative test. None of the events asked for a card and none of them asked for mask.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Milanmiracle » February 3rd, 2022, 8:18 am

Bjhracer wrote:Has anyone been to an event this year where they actually asked to see vaccination status? I’ve been to multiple events including in St Louis over the last month or so. Each event said mask required and proof of vaccination or negative test. None of the events asked for a card and none of them asked for mask.

I went to the theatre in Chicago over Christmas and they required masks and proof of vaccination just to get in the door. Masks were strictly enforced the entire performance.
Milanmiracle
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » February 3rd, 2022, 8:22 am

SalukiWorld wrote:

I didn't know about the proof of vaccination/negative COVID test until they said during tonight's game too. Must be new. Gonna be a lot of pissy people and maybe bad attendance

Aren't tickets already purchaced by some? Wonder if you can get your money back if you don't want the hassle? Just was hoping things would be kind of normal this year.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SalukiWorld » February 3rd, 2022, 3:58 pm

Bjhracer wrote:Has anyone been to an event this year where they actually asked to see vaccination status? I’ve been to multiple events including in St Louis over the last month or so. Each event said mask required and proof of vaccination or negative test. None of the events asked for a card and none of them asked for mask.

I went to Vanderbilt/Loyola and they required proof of vaccination (at Vanderbilt). Masks aren't really being enforced anywhere even when required.
SalukiWorld
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic