Oregon player dumps Altman for Marshall

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Oregon player dumps Altman for Marshall

Postby shockalot » June 18th, 2011, 4:03 pm

My guess is that if Walker comes to WSU he will be on an academic scholarship, but that is just speculation.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » June 19th, 2011, 12:25 pm

shockalot wrote:My guess is that if Walker comes to WSU he will be on an academic scholarship, but that is just speculation.

Doesn't matter. It would still count against WSU's allotment.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » June 20th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Really? So, that would mean that a walk-on who happens to be able to earn an academic scholarship but is accepted on the basketball team would mean a loss of one of the 13 allotted basketball scholarships in order to be on the team, but not if he didn't have an academic scholarship. Makes no-sense to me. And you are certain of this rule?
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » June 20th, 2011, 8:37 pm

You know, now that I think of it, I am not sure if it would apply in the case of Walker if he were to end up at WSU. I don't know how that works with tranfers. I would have to get some clarification on the rule in that instance, but my guess is that it would still apply.

But it is a rule for incoming freshman for sure. I believe the rule is that if you recruited the player at all, any scholarship he receives from the school, academic or otherwise, will still count against your allotted scholarship count. The rule is pretty much a necessity, otherwise teams could just hand out academic scholarships left and right and stockpile talent.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockalot » June 21st, 2011, 6:29 pm

Interesting. I wonder if it would apply or not to someone who has already attained an undergrad degree. I'm guessing not, but really don't know.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » June 22nd, 2011, 12:30 pm

We've had a number of walk-ons who we had recruited that didn't count against the 13. If an athlete receives an academic scholarship it has to be based on merit and available to the general student population as well. If schools were just passing them out there'd be a major investigation. And we've had very intelligent walk-ons with academic 'ships. Ledford being the most obvious.

How any of that relates to what's being talked about here I'm not 100%.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » June 28th, 2011, 6:25 am

Please don't concern yourselves with the scholarship situation at WSU. If Andre Walker wants to attend WSU and play out his final year, he will, and he will do it on an athletic scholarship and the roster will remain in tact.

That being said, I don't see a scenario that doesn't end up with Walker at KU. They also have available scholarships and that's just where I think he'll go, but I sure hope I am wrong. Not only would he be a steal this late in the game, he's a game changer in the Valley. His addition immediately puts WSU right back in the discussion for the Valley title with CU and ISUB.

As far as Dana pulling one over on Gregg....puh-lease. 3G has sailed by PolyesterD in the coaching world and he's not looking back. There were no pleasantries exchanged between those 2 coaches, I assure you.

Barring any missteps or injuries, Armstead will be a solid leader for the 12-13 Shocks and one of, if not the premiere PG in the Valley that season. Now, what surrounds him that season is certainly open for debate.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ictjay » June 29th, 2011, 6:42 am

:Stupid:
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » June 29th, 2011, 11:51 am

ictjay wrote::Stupid:

Do you have a point to make? Please feel free to speculate what you think is not factual about anything I said. :huh:
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Chuck » June 29th, 2011, 6:40 pm

2livewu wrote:
ictjay wrote::Stupid:

Do you have a point to make? Please feel free to speculate what you think is not factual about anything I said. :huh:

2livewu, I don't dislike WSU but if websites like this can't speculate then what's the point of our existence.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting