Austin Chatman - 2011 PG - Colorado, Wichita St, Creighton

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Austin Chatman - 2011 PG - Colorado, Wichita St, Creight

Postby LJay » September 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

HOLY CRAP!!! Talk about psycho and out of touch, how about a guy on an Valley board that has no allegiance to any school leading in number of posts (going back to VT) by a large margin! WOW!!!!

If you don't feel the fun in the recruiting process that's fine but every school here has fans who are thusly wired and we will enjoy it immensely.

For the record, CU needs a point guard in this group and Campbell or Chatman both look good and either would be welcome.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » September 19th, 2010, 9:55 pm

LJay wrote:HOLY CRAP!!! Talk about psycho and out of touch, how about a guy on an Valley board that has no allegiance to any school leading in number of posts (going back to VT) by a large margin! WOW!!!!

If you don't feel the fun in the recruiting process that's fine but every school here has fans who are thusly wired and we will enjoy it immensely.

For the record, CU needs a point guard in this group and Campbell or Chatman both look good and either would be welcome.

Wow, relax there cowboy! It is fine posts like this that make me defend myself. Now without attacking you LJay, I will answer every allegation you just made.

First, you are correct, I have no allegience to any Valley team, I went to college at a school not in the Missouri Valley conference. That said, I enjoy watching basketball and participating in the conversation. I also, as a matter of fact, do have certain interests in two Valley teams, Drake and Creighton. Drake because I have very close relatives that currently attend and / or attended that institution, a few as athletes. Drake is in the process of recruiting more of my close relatives. And while I would like the relationship between me and those athletes to be kept private, DUBulldog should be glad to confirm that I do indeed have these valid interests in Drake. Second, and everybody including Wichita State fans knows this nugget, I am a season ticket holder to Creighton men's basketball. In fact, I control four said lower bowl, inside the baseline tickets. Those two reasons should more than validate me having opinions and posting said opinions on this board. Is that fair enough for you?

As a matter of fact, I do like Wichita State as well. I just like them. There fans are cocky and they demand success, that is what attracts me to many teams I follow, so I like the Wichita State mentality. That in itself should be reason enough for me to post, but it might not meet your rigorous standards of who can post, but whatever. Even discounting my like of Wichita State, the Drake and Creighton connections more than make me valid on this board.

Now as far as me having more posts than anyone, you are factually wrong there. Both baller and Dawgiestyle took me out long ago. I took several sabbatacals from Valley Talk in which they both lapped me. That is a fact, so I would hope you would retract that incorrect statement you made alleging my post count superiority, it is incorrect and anyone that believes I have more posts than anyone else is buying into a fallacy.

Onto recruiting, you are correct. I don't get into it. Just like college baseball, it's not my bag. I do peek now and then just to see what teams are doing, but this stuff is far from exact. That said, if you are into it, go for it, have fun! Nobody is knocking anyone for playing the recruiting guru game, for some, I'm sure it's a rush. My only concern with this thread was that you and a few Shocker fans were going a little over the top on one college recruit. Why start the flame wars over a high school senior? There is plenty of other stuff you can fight about if you like, why set yourself up for a possible epic backfire? So I'm not bagging on armchair recruiting gurus, just curious why a thread about a 17 year-old kid is turning thermonuclear. On the other hand, if you are the armchair recruiting guru that travels to camps, AAU events, talks to high school players and their parents, yes, you are creepy. I have a feeling you don't take it that far, though.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Duan » September 20th, 2010, 7:43 am

MoValley John,

If LJay pisses you off enough to make you want to get rid of your CU season tickets, can I buy them?
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jayball » September 20th, 2010, 7:49 am

For the record...if there is a record. This Jay fan doesn't think anyone is locked up. It seems we have a shot with a couple of decent PG recruits and hopefully one of them signs on.

I enjoy keeping up with some recruiting news, but I've definitely learned not to count on anything. It is pretty easy to sell potential to fans. Results come from hard work and the right fit at a school. Nothing is guaranteed.

However, I do like that it seems our staff is a bit more coordinated on the recruiting front this year and has gotten several early commits in areas of need. This is a departure from the last few years under Dana. If we get one of the 2 PGs, that would fill four of our five open slots and most Jays fans will be pretty happy about that.

For whatever reason it seems like we are going head to head with more Valley schools. Early on it seemed like UNI was taking our targets. Then we snuck one out of MSU territory. The last few seem to have had some interest in WSU. I think Chatman might be the first to do official visits to both schools and supposedly be down to those two. I'm sure Valley schools have often targeted the same kids, but this year there definitely seems to be more head to head competition. Just something else to get worked up about with conference foes. I am glad to hear we are going up against WSU and MSU and UNI because all three schools seem to have done a good job identifying talent.

I do hope we beat all of you for the recruits we want. :)

Then I hope those recruits work out.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby FreddyMac » September 20th, 2010, 10:08 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:I admit I want Chatman to be a Shocker. With that said, I guess I can understand if he doesn't want to ride the bench and probably redshirt for a year in Wichita while he will probably get a chance to earn plenty of minutes in Omaha. With guards like Murry, Kyles, Williams, Ragland...etc there wouldn't be much time for him next year.

I think I read this somewhere else and it's pretty funny. Creighton started a sophomore point guard and a freshman shooting guard at the end of last year. We've also got a freshman guard coming in this year that can play both positions. That's not to mention that Gibbs will be eligible when Chatman gets here. IF he chooses Creighton over WSU it certainly isn't because he's afraid of sitting the bench at WSU and not at CU.

Also, the insinuation that Creighton MUST be pulling the Marshall is leaving line to sway Chatman is hilarious. Like Creighton has nothing better to sell Chatman on than telling him Marshall might leave.
FreddyMac
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Jays26 » September 20th, 2010, 10:31 am

FreddyMac wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:I admit I want Chatman to be a Shocker. With that said, I guess I can understand if he doesn't want to ride the bench and probably redshirt for a year in Wichita while he will probably get a chance to earn plenty of minutes in Omaha. With guards like Murry, Kyles, Williams, Ragland...etc there wouldn't be much time for him next year.

I think I read this somewhere else and it's pretty funny. Creighton started a sophomore point guard and a freshman shooting guard at the end of last year. We've also got a freshman guard coming in this year that can play both positions. That's not to mention that Gibbs will be eligible when Chatman gets here. IF he chooses Creighton over WSU it certainly isn't because he's afraid of sitting the bench at WSU and not at CU.

Also, the insinuation that Creighton MUST be pulling the Marshall is leaving line to sway Chatman is hilarious. Like Creighton has nothing better to sell Chatman on than telling him Marshall might leave.

Great first post Freddy! My thoughts exactly!
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » September 20th, 2010, 11:09 am

On average, every school has just over 3 schollies to fill every year. With a transfer here or there, it averages out to be just over four spots every year. Even on teams like Duke, most of them won't be difference makers. Of those four, you only have one or two that really do a good job and you only get an all-conference, difference maker guy every now and then. I see how people can get excited about recruiting, I see how many enjoy followingt recruiting, I get it. But to get worked up about it, to taunt opposing fans about it and to accuse other teams of negative recruiting, well, maybe it's time for a dose of reality.

Then on the other hand, Drake is using their recruiting prowess to sell season tickets.
http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=204994556
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » September 20th, 2010, 12:38 pm

FreddyMac wrote:

Exactly, Creighton has nothing better to sell Chatman than to tell him Marshall might leave. That was a solid point! Good job! Plus, everyone knows WSU guards > CU guards. He'll have an easier time taking minutes from them then he would from the guards at WSU.

Man I love getting Creighton fans worked up. Keep 'em coming!
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » September 20th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
FreddyMac wrote:

Exactly, Creighton has nothing better to sell Chatman than to tell him Marshall might leave. That was a solid point! Good job! Plus, everyone knows WSU guards > CU guards. He'll have an easier time taking minutes from them then he would from the guards at WSU.

Wow...too funny :lol: "getting Creighton fans worked up" ever heard of the pot/kettle thing???

You had said earlier "Think long term Chatman" and I couldn't agree more, if this young man does think long term, than his choice would be Creighton, because time has shown they seem to be at the top of the conf. more often than others. And the next few years is looking pretty nice! :D
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FreddyMac » September 20th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:Exactly, Creighton has nothing better to sell Chatman than to tell him Marshall might leave. That was a solid point! Good job! Plus, everyone knows WSU guards > CU guards. He'll have an easier time taking minutes from them then he would from the guards at WSU.

Right, we are all totally worked up, hysterical even. The "Uhhhhhh, well, uhhhhmm, oh yeah, I was just riling you up" response got old several years ago.
FreddyMac
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting