UNI lands 2013 SG

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

UNI lands 2013 SG

Postby uniftw » April 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

http://mundelein.suntimes.com/sports/12 ... -iowa.html

Mundelein’s Robert Knar, who used a quick release to averaged 22.3 points per game this winter, pulled the trigger on Monday morning.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound junior guard will play Division I basketball at the University of Northern Iowa.

Knar, who ranks No. 2 in all-time scoring for the Mustangs (1,897 points), likes everything about the basketball program in Cedar Falls — especially the system that coach Ben Jacobson runs.

“It’s Mundelein-esque,” said Knar, who is coached by his father, Richard Knar.

Jacobson, who guided the Panthers to a 20-14 record this winter, has been targeting Knar for some time.

Knar selected the Missouri Valley Conference school over Bucknell. He also drew interest from a number of other schools, including Stanford.

“I chose (UNI) because the academics are great, which has to come first.” Knar said. “I also like the people there, the basketball environment and the coach.

“I can’t thank him (Jacobson) enough,” said Knar, who owns a 4.025 grade-point average. “He was a big factor (in the decision).”

Knar said that he had a 30-minute talk with his dad, who played his college ball at Illinois-Chicago, on Sunday night — and the two agreed that Northern Iowa was a good fit.

“Of course, I had to clear it with mom,” said Knar, with a smile.

His former club coach, Mike Weinstein, also is on board.

“It’s a no-brainer for him,” said Weinstein. “He’ll do well there.

“He’ll be playing for a great coach, who isn’t (planning on) going anywhere,” Weinstein added. “And he’ll be playing in a great atmosphere (McLeod Center, which seats 6,650 fans).”

The Panthers have played outstanding basketball of late. They earned NCAA berths in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2010. They reached the Sweet Sixteen in 2010 after upsetting Kansas.

Knar, who made two all-state teams this winter (ICBA third team, News-Gazette special mention), has plenty of work remaining at Mundelein. He needs only 23 points to match Kyle Kessel’s all-time scoring mark.

He also has a shot to become the all-time leading scorer in Lake County. He’s chasing ex-Deerfield star Ryan Hogan (2,406.)
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

UNI lands 2013 SG

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UNI lands 2013 SG

Postby uniftw » April 30th, 2012, 7:03 pm

http://triblocal.com/mundelein/communit ... ois-title/

Mundelein High School junior, Robert Knar, has been nominated for the title of Mr. Basketball of Illinois. This player of the year title is voted on by the coaches and media throughout the state of Illinois.
Knar is 6’1”, 175 pounds, and a point guard for MHS. He currently holds a 4.025 GPA. Schools currently interested in him are Stanford, Virginia, Indiana and other mid-major schools. Some of the highlights of his basketball career are as follows:

•Knar has started every game of his career, freshman through junior year
•22 points per game
•7.4 rebounds per game
•6.1 assists per game
•85 3-point shots made this year
•2.8 steals per game
•All-time leading 3-point shooter in Mundelein history [more than 250 and counting]
•Second all-time leading scorer in Mundelein history [1,765 points]
•Second all-time leader in steals in Mundelein history
•Fifth all-time leading rebounder in Mundelein history
•Eighth all-time leading scorer in Lake County history [110 years], 500 points away from the all-time record held by Ryan Hogan [Deerfield High School and the University of Kentucky]
•All-conference and all-area as a freshman and sophomore, also all-state as a sophomore
•Currently has seven scholarship offers
•As a starter for three years his records are: Freshman year – 19-13; Sophomore year – 29-5; currently as a junior – 22-7
•He will end his career as the all-time winningest player in school history

“Robert has always been destined to be a basketball player,” said Richard Knar, Robert’s father and also head varsity basketball coach at MHS. “When I was at Northridge Prep he was always on the bench drawing plays on my clipboard and, during the game, he would come up and show me the play. He would also go out on the floor during the naming of the starting line-ups and fire the team up and give them high fives. He is an old school kind of kid. His favorite player is Pete maravich and he always wears old warm ups from the past teams. Now he is playing for me!”

Update to the stats....I believe he finished closer to 24PPG and 103 3's while shooting 45% from deep
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » May 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Always good to have a coaches kid on the team.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » May 1st, 2012, 1:37 pm

High school teammate of UE's Ryan Sawvell.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UE 71 » May 2nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

Can't wait to see Sawvell slap an in the lane shot back in his face. The next three years should be interesting.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ali » May 2nd, 2012, 1:11 pm

Kyle wrote:Always good to have a coaches kid on the team.

Don't go there... we have a bad history :)
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » May 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

UE 71 wrote:Can't wait to see Sawvell slap an in the lane shot back in his face. The next three years should be interesting.

Won't be next year, he'll still be in high school. They'll only face each other for two years unless Sawvell doesn't play next year.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » August 4th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Knar will miss his entire senior season with an ACL injury.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » August 5th, 2012, 6:49 am

DUBulldog wrote:Knar will miss his entire senior season with an ACL injury.

Too bad. Hopefully he has a strong recovery.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting