UNI landing top 150 transfer?

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: UNI landing top 150 transfer?

Postby uniftw » May 30th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:ACC (NIT) transfer
25.7 minutes
4.7 points
2.2 rebounds
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -jesperson

Plenty of things about JP for UNI fans to get excited about.
Also plenty of things for non-UNI fans to think, "ho-hum."

He started every game for a very good team in the ACC as a true soph. That's not ho-hum.

Now he has an entire redshirt year to get better and be ready to play in the Valley which is a lesser conference competitively.

Why did he leave a very good ACC team which he started every game for?

It depends on who you ask.

The fact is he needed a redshirt his freshman year, and that was the plan. He had that taken from him due to injuries to others that year. It's rare to see a player play as much as he did his frosh year (even with sitting the first 11 games due to a likely redshirt) and then redshirt him his SO year. Honestly, UVA should be a good team this year.

I would be he will be a very very good player at UNI. The system that UNI runs will be very good for Paul....especially with who will be there with him in 14-15
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbird Recon » May 30th, 2013, 3:57 pm

uniftw wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:Why did he leave a very good ACC team which he started every game for?

OK. I'm asking you.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » May 30th, 2013, 4:40 pm

uniftw wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:
valleychamp wrote:He started every game for a very good team in the ACC as a true soph. That's not ho-hum.

Now he has an entire redshirt year to get better and be ready to play in the Valley which is a lesser conference competitively.

The fact is he needed a redshirt his freshman year, and that was the plan. He had that taken from him due to injuries to others that year. It's rare to see a player play as much as he did his frosh year (even with sitting the first 11 games due to a likely redshirt) and then redshirt him his SO year. Honestly, UVA should be a good team this year.

I would be he will be a very very good player at UNI. The system that UNI runs will be very good for Paul....especially with who will be there with him in 14-15

Selling cars in Cedar Falls?

Customer: How's the safety rating?
Salesman: Great, and look here, your iPhone will sync directly to the stereo!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 9th, 2013, 3:22 am

Redbird Recon wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:ACC (NIT) transfer
25.7 minutes
4.7 points
2.2 rebounds
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -jesperson

Plenty of things about JP for UNI fans to get excited about.
Also plenty of things for non-UNI fans to think, "ho-hum."

He started every game for a very good team in the ACC as a true soph. That's not ho-hum.

Virginia is a very good ACC team? Since when? They were okay this last season, but still an NIT team.

He wouldn't be transferring to UNI if he was going to be starting for UVA next season. That pretty much goes without saying.

4.7 points in 26 minutes a game isn't very impressive.

Might be a good pickup. Sounds like a lot of excuses for poor play so far. Also sounds like an idea that a little used player on a middle of the pack ACC team will be great in the Valley. Guess I have more respect for the conference than that.

There's a lot of silly lines in here about this being a huge get. You're getting a cast off from a decent ACC team that hasn't actually done anything impressive yet in his career. This isn't a huge get. It's a 6’6" kid who did nothing as a starter last season. Nothing about his college career is anything to brag about... his high school seasons were impressive, but if anything two poor seasons of D1 ball have him as a bust so far. I'm sure he'll add good depth, and maybe he can be a solid contributor, but I don't see anything to be excited about from him so far.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » June 9th, 2013, 6:53 am

I disagree with the above. Kyle Wilson, Karon Bradley, and Phil Thommason were all highly regarded high school players (ranked at or near 100). They had poor stints as underclassmen at their school and transferred to WSU where they were successful and an important part of the Shocker team. Wilson was one of our best players, and he and Bradley helped the team to a sweet 16. Thommason came a year later and was a transition player from MT to GM, but still one of the better players on a mediocre WSU.

All that said, I believe that Paul was rated slightly higher than the WSU players and had a better career at the BCS he played at. We will see how he finishes off his career at UNI, but he has a chance to be the part of something special if Tuttle and Mitchell blossom as upper classmen.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » June 9th, 2013, 10:47 am

rlh04d wrote:Virginia is a very good ACC team? Since when? They were okay this last season, but still an NIT team.

He wouldn't be transferring to UNI if he was going to be starting for UVA next season. That pretty much goes without saying.

4.7 points in 26 minutes a game isn't very impressive.

Might be a good pickup. Sounds like a lot of excuses for poor play so far. Also sounds like an idea that a little used player on a middle of the pack ACC team will be great in the Valley. Guess I have more respect for the conference than that.

There's a lot of silly lines in here about this being a huge get. You're getting a cast off from a decent ACC team that hasn't actually done anything impressive yet in his career. This isn't a huge get. It's a 6’6" kid who did nothing as a starter last season. Nothing about his college career is anything to brag about... his high school seasons were impressive, but if anything two poor seasons of D1 ball have him as a bust so far. I'm sure he'll add good depth, and maybe he can be a solid contributor, but I don't see anything to be excited about from him so far.

I find it funny that you, of all people, is one to come on here and unabashedly tear down this player. You are the first guy to come on here with a 3,000 word essay every time someone expresses any sort of doubt or criticism toward a Shocker player.

The fact is this, Paul was a top 100 player coming out of HS, with dozens and dozens of offers from elite programs. As a true Sophomore he started all season on, yes, a very good UVA team in the ACC. When he decided to transfer, he again had dozens of offers all over the country. His final choices came down to UNI, Florida, SLU, and Southern Cal----not bad for an "unimpressive castoff".

Its hilariously stupid that you claim to "have respect for the conference", as you have been one of the loudest on here condemning this conference. If you are not intelligent enough to comprehend the competitive depth and quality between the Valley and the ACC without viewing it as "disrespect" for our conference, then I don't know what to tell you.

If Paul was a Shocker commit, there is no doubt that we'd have 5 pages of people like you and Aargh detailing every last corner of his HS and transfer offer sheets, coupled with youtube videos, and flattering quotes of why he chose WSU over the other elite programs.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 11th, 2013, 12:09 am

valleychamp wrote:I find it funny that you, of all people, is one to come on here and unabashedly tear down this player. You are the first guy to come on here with a 3,000 word essay every time someone expresses any sort of doubt or criticism toward a Shocker player.

The fact is this, Paul was a top 100 player coming out of HS, with dozens and dozens of offers from elite programs. As a true Sophomore he started all season on, yes, a very good UVA team in the ACC. When he decided to transfer, he again had dozens of offers all over the country. His final choices came down to UNI, Florida, SLU, and Southern Cal----not bad for an "unimpressive castoff".

Its hilariously stupid that you claim to "have respect for the conference", as you have been one of the loudest on here condemning this conference. If you are not intelligent enough to comprehend the competitive depth and quality between the Valley and the ACC without viewing it as "disrespect" for our conference, then I don't know what to tell you.

If Paul was a Shocker commit, there is no doubt that we'd have 5 pages of people like you and Aargh detailing every last corner of his HS and transfer offer sheets, coupled with youtube videos, and flattering quotes of why he chose WSU over the other elite programs.

And I find it funny that you took 250 words and four paragraphs to complain about me making long posts.

I don't think I've ever said the MVC was a bad basketball conference. It's a terribly run conference that is doing everything it can to become more and more bush league with every move, but it's not a bad basketball conference by ANY means. Virginia would have been lucky to finish third in the MVC last season. The ACC was mediocre last season, and it took Virginia having the 300th ranked nonconference SOS to get to the win-total they had.

I'm sorry that I'm not joining in on the "program changing, huge, huge, HUGE DEAL!!!!" bandwagon for a guy that scored 4.5 points a game for an NIT squad. Great, he was well regarded out of HS. So far as a D1 player he's averaged maybe 3 points a game. He could very well be an MVC POY winner his first season ... but he hasn't shown a thing yet to get that excited over except expectations that he hasn't lived up to. I'm not criticizing his ability; I'm saying the reaction here is silly for a guy with two poor D1 seasons behind him on an average team.

Man what a temper tantrum.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 11th, 2013, 12:26 am

Wufan wrote:I disagree with the above. Kyle Wilson, Karon Bradley, and Phil Thommason were all highly regarded high school players (ranked at or near 100). They had poor stints as underclassmen at their school and transferred to WSU where they were successful and an important part of the Shocker team. Wilson was one of our best players, and he and Bradley helped the team to a sweet 16. Thommason came a year later and was a transition player from MT to GM, but still one of the better players on a mediocre WSU.

All that said, I believe that Paul was rated slightly higher than the WSU players and had a better career at the BCS he played at. We will see how he finishes off his career at UNI, but he has a chance to be the part of something special if Tuttle and Mitchell blossom as upper classmen.

And he certainly might follow in their footsteps. It doesn't change the fact that being a highly rated recruit who averaged 1.5 ppg one season and 4.7 ppg the next and has apparently lost his spot as a starter can reasonably be described as a bust through two seasons of D1 ball.

If he turns things around at UNI, great for UNI fans. But I wouldn't be describing a guy with those stats as a "HUGE GET" yet until he actually does something in D1 ball that justifies that hype. Wilson, Bradley, and Thommason ended up doing so. They were still busts before transferring.

He's a career 34% shooter who finished out the season with his minutes dropping pretty consistently and shot almost 21% with 2.3 ppg in the final six games of the season. His recruiting profile says he has potential to be great; his stats say he's a future bench player. The UNI fans in the thread are acting like Seth Curry just transferred.

I don't judge a player by his offer list. I judge a player by his stats. And his are mediocre at best.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » June 11th, 2013, 9:57 am

Those stats were generated with a completely different style of play. I think he will have a major impact on our team, but it's probably a little too soon to be dancing on the ceiling over a year in advance of him suiting up for UNI.

Definitely a good get for the Panthers IMO.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » June 11th, 2013, 4:49 pm

It's certainly not a bad get… :Cheers:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting