Another DU Commit--Ore Arogundade

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Another DU Commit--Ore Arogundade

Postby Redbird Recon » August 14th, 2013, 5:00 pm

kcmsaluki12 wrote:He had a 12+ scholarship offers.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/ore-arogundade
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » August 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:

Lists 14 other offers besides Drake. Of course, it is quite possible (and probable) that there are offers that verbalcommits.com doesn't know about (all that site does is compile info from Rivals and Scout in one spot).
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Redbird Recon » August 14th, 2013, 7:15 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:

Lists 14 other offers besides Drake. Of course, it is quite possible (and probable) that there are offers that verbalcommits.com doesn't know about (all that site does is compile info from Rivals and Scout in one spot).

Verbal Commits will post any offer submitted to them with a corresponding source.
Absolutely awesome source for recruiting enthusiasts!
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby agrinut » August 15th, 2013, 7:27 am

Redbird Recon wrote:Verbal Commits will post any offer submitted to them with a corresponding source.

What is a corresponding source? The only people who really know what offers a kid has are the player and the coach and only one of them can talk about it.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AngryShock » August 15th, 2013, 6:43 pm

agrinut wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:Verbal Commits will post any offer submitted to them with a corresponding source.

What is a corresponding source? The only people who really know what offers a kid has are the player and the coach and only one of them can talk about it.
A lot of kids post these things on Twitter. A lot of these kids and the HS/AAU coaches talk to recruiting types and tell them and it gets reported on Twitter. There are other sites that will report on offers and there are also hometown newspapers that get the info from the kid or coaches. Odds are, if there's an offer made, someone knows it and it's been reported and odds are Verbal Commits has it on their site. I'd take their number of some random person saying there are x amount of offers to someone and then never says who they are. If anything, I could see where a site like VC would have more offers listed than really exist as some kids get mistaken on if an offer has been made or just a fair amount of interest. I don't know how often that happens but it does from time to time.
WheatShockers.com
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » August 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

AngryShock wrote:
agrinut wrote:

A lot of kids post these things on Twitter. A lot of these kids and the HS/AAU coaches talk to recruiting types and tell them and it gets reported on Twitter. There are other sites that will report on offers and there are also hometown newspapers that get the info from the kid or coaches. Odds are, if there's an offer made, someone knows it and it's been reported and odds are Verbal Commits has it on their site. I'd take their number of some random person saying there are x amount of offers to someone and then never says who they are. If anything, I could see where a site like VC would have more offers listed than really exist as some kids get mistaken on if an offer has been made or just a fair amount of interest. I don't know how often that happens but it does from time to time.

Similarly, my brother was recently offered a partnership in a firm. After thinking about it for some time, he accepted only to find out it was a partnership option if he agreed to a lesser salary. My brother is 28 and being mildly recruited in the web design field. I can only imagine what a 17 year old thinks when a coach shows interest.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » August 19th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Perfect fit the Drake and the MVC. Ray G. hitting Illinois hard and showing some benefits.

I love the "who offered him a scholarship" penis measuring game. It's fun to watch and means nothing in the end. The validation fans get from who "offered" a recruit is hilarious.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AngryShock » August 19th, 2013, 8:39 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Perfect fit the Drake and the MVC. Ray G. hitting Illinois hard and showing some benefits.

I love the "who offered him a scholarship" penis measuring game. It's fun to watch and means nothing in the end. The validation fans get from who "offered" a recruit is hilarious.
You can't blame them from a casual observer standpoint. It gives you a vague idea of what people are thinking. It guarantees nothing but gives the casual fan an idea of where he currently stands.
WheatShockers.com
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » August 19th, 2013, 10:40 pm

AngryShock wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Perfect fit the Drake and the MVC. Ray G. hitting Illinois hard and showing some benefits.

You can't blame them from a casual observer standpoint. It gives you a vague idea of what people are thinking. It guarantees nothing but gives the casual fan an idea of where he currently stands.

Right. But the problem is no one outside of the recruit really knows the truth. One internet site says one thing, another says another, etc.

Plus, as we know, Team A can offer a kid and two months later signs another player at that position. But then Team B gets a commitment and the kid says Team A "offered" me. Maybe, but the offer wasn't even on the table anymore.

I'm not saying we shouldn't follow recruiting. But at this level trying to "rank" them and see which recruit is better than the other is fruitless.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AngryShock » August 20th, 2013, 7:42 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
AngryShock wrote:

Right. But the problem is no one outside of the recruit really knows the truth. One internet site says one thing, another says another, etc.

Plus, as we know, Team A can offer a kid and two months later signs another player at that position. But then Team B gets a commitment and the kid says Team A "offered" me. Maybe, but the offer wasn't even on the table anymore.

I'm not saying we shouldn't follow recruiting. But at this level trying to "rank" them and see which recruit is better than the other is fruitless.

But if you're going to follow recruiting, this is a part of it. How else are fans to analyze recruits and speculate who has the better class or whatever? And even if Team A's offer is no longer on the table, you still see that they thought the player was worthy of an offer so it doesn't hurt in the analyses.

And nobody does know but the recruit and those closest to him, but they talk. Recruiting is a fairly well publicized thing and if there's an offer, odds are somebody knows and it's online. Sure, not all end up that way, especially the lower the recruits status. But the better the recruit, the more that is known about who's looking and who's offered. Most recruits aren't going to just sit on that info. They want it publicized as it only helps them and gets them more pub.
WheatShockers.com
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting