WSU trying to cash in on recruiting with recent success

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: WSU trying to cash in on recruiting with recent success

Postby Wufan » December 14th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Ottawa, KS grad Semi Ojeley is leaving Duke at semester. He will be eligible second semester next year as a sophomore. He was the 31st rated player in the nation and is 6-7, 230. He averaged 38 PPG for a 25-0 program as a senior.

Word is Marshall is still offering scholarships to guys. Could Semi be one?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » December 16th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Wufan wrote:Ottawa, KS grad Semi Ojeley is leaving Duke at semester. He will be eligible second semester next year as a sophomore. He was the 31st rated player in the nation and is 6-7, 230. He averaged 38 PPG for a 25-0 program as a senior.

Some correction and clarification of this post. Semi Ojeleye has already used his So season at Duke. He will be a Jr in eligibility next year.

There is no source other than a few ShockerNet posters who claim Marshall is still recruiting for next year. I don't understand the WSU fans who want Marshall to go all Dan Muller on the Shox and kick half the team to the curb every year. Muller doesn't even do that any more.

"Guys alwasy transfer out" pretty much equals "guys always get cut". Then next year those same ShockerNet posters will be chomping at the bit for Marshall to get 17 commitments again and cut the players they were begging him to get this year.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 16th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Aargh wrote:
Wufan wrote:Ottawa, KS grad Semi Ojeley is leaving Duke at semester. He will be eligible second semester next year as a sophomore. He was the 31st rated player in the nation and is 6-7, 230. He averaged 38 PPG for a 25-0 program as a senior.

Some correction and clarification of this post. Semi Ojeleye has already used his So season at Duke. He will be a Jr in eligibility next year.

There is no source other than a few ShockerNet posters who claim Marshall is still recruiting for next year. I don't understand the WSU fans who want Marshall to go all Dan Muller on the Shox and kick half the team to the curb every year. Muller doesn't even do that any more.

"Guys alwasy transfer out" pretty much equals "guys always get cut". Then next year those same ShockerNet posters will be chomping at the bit for Marshall to get 17 commitments again and cut the players they were begging him to get this year.

Thanks for correcting my post. I was wrong when I posted that on shockernet as well, but forgot to correct it here.

The whole Michael Mulder verbal is why it appears we are still offering. I thought for sure we would be done when we went one over in the fall, but then we went two over, then Frankamp, and now Mulder. Since I have no idea what the hell Marshall is doing, I might as well root for this one too.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 17th, 2014, 10:21 am

The Mulder "commitment" was what tipped me off that Marshall was done. Mulder announced his commitment, his HS coach announced Mulder was a Shocker - and then dead silence. No scouting services picked up on it. Nothing that's normally seen with commitments. I think he committed and then got a phone call that said, "sorry. You had a chance earlier, but now it's just too late. Please check back in the spring, to see if anything opens up".

The scouting services surely contacted him for confirmation, and I don't think any of them confirmed the commitment.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 17th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Aargh wrote:The Mulder "commitment" was what tipped me off that Marshall was done.

Per Jeff Goodman, WSU has inquired about Semi…
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 17th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Wufan wrote:
Aargh wrote:The Mulder "commitment" was what tipped me off that Marshall was done.

Per Jeff Goodman, WSU has inquired about Semi…

That inquiry could have been whether Ojeleye is going Juco for a year and would consider transferring at semester break next year and pay in-state tuition for one semester. Also might want to be in consideration in case some current players have injuries (or worse) that keeps them out of basketball for an extended period..

I can't quite equate inquiring with recruiting.

I believe Ojeleye would only have the rest of this year for eligibility in a JuCo, but a JuCo might be willing to give him two semesters of tuition (especially a Kansas JuCo) for a second semester (majority of the season and NJCAA championships) of play.

That way, he'd only have to be inactive in games for one semester instead of 2 and could pick a D1 destination that doesn't have any scholarships for second semester this year.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 18th, 2014, 12:36 am

Conner is a walk on pure and simple. Discussing him as anything different than Zach Bush is meaningless at this point.

Semi is interested in WSU and WSU is interested in Semi. Coach Okon has a relationship there, albeit a small relationship. We'll see what happens.

Nobody wants to see players come and go every year, but just like fans aren't perfect, coaches and yes players aren't perfect. It's the job of coaches to win and, imho, find somewhere where the student athletes can succeed.

Every 4 year kid has graduated with a degree when Gregg was his coach. We can rehash every transfer out of Gregg's program if you would like.....I don't know if it will make you feel better or not.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird Recon » December 18th, 2014, 8:32 am

Is there any dead weight on the Shox roster currently?
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 18th, 2014, 11:42 am

Redbird Recon wrote:Is there any dead weight on the Shox roster currently?

I would say no, however freshman Zach Brown and JUCO Tevin Glass are quite clearly the # 12 and 13 players on the roster.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 18th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:Is there any dead weight on the Shox roster currently?

In my opinion, we have 6 players that are proven to be able to compete on a top 20 program.

VanVleet, Baker, Carter, Cotton, Wessel and Kelly are no doubters.

At this point Nurger and Holland have proven they can be very successful against top 100 type teams. If they continue to develop, they'll be fine. Nurger could be a star eventually. Holland probably has a mid ceiling because of his size, but I love his heart. He's finding his niche.

Those 8 could all be MVC champs for whatever years they are at WSU.

Shaq is an odd dude. Supremely talented. Unbelievably slow motor. If this kid had VanVleet's motor he'd be in the NBA next year. But that's a pipe dream. He's often compared to JT Durley. JT's motor was just fine on the court, he didn't like practicing or conditioning but turn the lights on and he was good, even as a freshman. It's not that way with Shaq. He'll have a couple of games against random teams in conference and opponents will be like "how is he not starting" and "that kid is unstoppable" .....the rest of the time not so much. If he ever buys in watch out but I sincerely doubt that ever happens, I just don't think he has it in him.

Corey Henderson is being brought along nicely. I probably like this kid more than most, but he'll be a star at WSU.

Certainly Gregg missed on both jucos this year. Big Bush has been slow to catch on and Glass has been disappointing. Neither is likely to see meaningful minutes and both have to be fighting for a scholarship next year, at a minimum. Fans that aren't fans of jucos got their proof this season. Missing on jucos will cost this team a chance to compete for the biggest prize.

Finally, Zach Brown's athletic skill set belongs at any school not named Kentucky (and might there too). Has a lot of work to do, but I can't see him going anywhere. Way way way too much upside even if he doesn't play much this year.

At a minimum, there are 3 question marks (Glass, Wamukota, Morris) to return with Morris by FAR and away the most likely to stay. The coaches are certainly preparing for Baker to leave. With 2 seniors using up their eligibility, any fewer than 5 incoming kids seems like a mistake to me. And right now 4 is the number we have coming in (Conner will NOT be on scholarship so he doesn't count) so when you hear we are still recruiting, believe it. Again, all of this just my opinion.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting