Loyola gets top-150 guard

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby RoyalShock » September 24th, 2014, 10:42 am

Roosevelt Smart, from the same prep school as WSU incoming freshman Zach Brown and Rauno Nurger.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... elt-smart/
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Loyola gets top-150 guard

Postby ahunte1 » September 24th, 2014, 11:54 am

Good pickup for the Ramblers. He's originally from the Chicago area.

We have two spots open for 2015 still. Need at least one big and will need a PG in the next year or two.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » September 24th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Nice pickup for Loyola. He played last season at St Viator HS in suburban Chicago, where he was a teammate of current Drake freshman Ore Arogundade. The season before that, he played for a different school; so this is his 3rd high school in as many seasons. I hope that's not a red flag.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cdizzle » September 24th, 2014, 3:32 pm

ahunte1 wrote:Good pickup for the Ramblers. He's originally from the Chicago area.

We have two spots open for 2015 still. Need at least one big and will need a PG in the next year or two.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. An athletic 6'2" shooting guard ranked in the Top-150...with offers from Northern Illinois, Loyola-Chicago, and Wright State. I feel like I'm missing a part of the story.

I hope he pans out for Loyola, as advertised. Looks like a good addition. Will his commitment survive a coaching change? Will a stellar recruiting class stay a coaching change?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 24th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Congrats to Smart and Loyola!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 24th, 2014, 7:50 pm

He was also recruited by Creighton. It was also reported that he had an offer from UNI.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Roosevelt-Smart-24940/RecruitInterests

If there is a problem, the 3 schools in 3 years might be the red flag. But...Sunrise Christian will probably take care of that problem if it existed. Players come out of there ready for D1 ball, in condition, and will have a year of a disciplined approach to basketball, school, and life in general.

Smart had interest from WSU, but did not have an offer. The same is true for KU, Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue. Looks like good get for Moser.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 25th, 2014, 9:19 am

If he was offered by UNI we have no knowledge of it. He isn't even listed on our recruiting list from last year so there is no public evidence that we have ever watched him or talked with him. It could be a case where someone confused us with Northern Illinois.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » September 25th, 2014, 6:15 pm

He's a good get for Loyola, but his AAU squad (Illinois Wolves, UA sponsored) definitely gave him that extra boost into the Rivals Top 150. He's a high-volume shooter who can make his own shot, but he doesn't play with same fire that Ore (UNI's incoming 2G) does.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » September 25th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:He's a good get for Loyola, but his AAU squad (Illinois Wolves, UA sponsored) definitely gave him that extra boost into the Rivals Top 150. He's a high-volume shooter who can make his own shot, but he doesn't play with same fire that Ore (UNI's incoming 2G) does.

I think that's Drake you're thinking of.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » September 27th, 2014, 8:03 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:He's a good get for Loyola, but his AAU squad (Illinois Wolves, UA sponsored) definitely gave him that extra boost into the Rivals Top 150. He's a high-volume shooter who can make his own shot, but he doesn't play with same fire that Ore (UNI's incoming 2G) does.

I think that's Drake you're thinking of.

Yup, thanks!
:buddies:
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting