Valpo Adds 3 Star St Joseph's Transfer

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 6th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Valpo has added 3 Star St Joseph's swingman and Chicago native Nick Robinson. A strong defender, Robinson averaged 14.1PPG and 7.1RPG for the Hawks in 26MPG as a Sophomore over the last 7 games of the year. He also showed development in his 3 point shot late last year making 10 of his last 15 over the last 7 games of the year. This is a big time and much needed addition to the Crusaders!

Here are his season numbers but the hot streak at the end of the year is very encouraging.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... k-robinson
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Valpo Adds 3 Star St Joseph's Transfer

Postby jturner38 » July 9th, 2018, 1:39 pm

This is the same kid who originally committed to the Sycamores but never signed his LOI and then eventually decommitted.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » July 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm

He should be a solid Valley contributor. Not a star but a starter. Good get for Valpo.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby just ducky » July 9th, 2018, 4:26 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:He should be a solid Valley contributor. Not a star but a starter. Good get for Valpo.

Actually I don't think that either Robinson or Wake Forest transfer Eron Gordon will be starters in the 19-20 season. With that said I think Robinson will be the more important addition. Matt Lottich and his style of play needed exactly the skill sets and versatility which Nick will offer.

So Valpo has no seniors for the 18-19 season and will add a high school 3.7 star and another 3 star for the 19-20 campaign, who I think will both play from the bench.

So watch your backsides this year because Valpo should be good going down the stretch. As for the 19-20 season I'm at even money that they are top 50. OK that might still leave them from second to fourth in Valley play but multiple top 50 teams are exactly what the MVC needs to get at-large invitations.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 10th, 2018, 5:35 am

I don't disagree about Valpo's fortunes going forward; and I think Robinson will be a very impactful addition because he seamlessly fits what Lottich wants to do, but Gordon came to Valpo from Seton Hall, not Wake Forest. Given the experience sure to be on the 19-20 team, I could see them both coming off the bench; but I wouldn't sell Gordon's impact, or his chances to start short. He was a prolific scorer in High School. We think of Robinson who is of similar size to Markus Golder, as less athletic, but a better ball handler. Both seem to be willing and capable defenders at multiple positions. it should be an absolute joy for Valpo fans to watch the defense on the wings in 19-20. I think the Crusaders will be very tough to score on then. We're very excited about the future of the program.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby just ducky » July 15th, 2018, 2:56 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:I don't disagree about Valpo's fortunes going forward; and I think Robinson will be a very impactful addition because he seamlessly fits what Lottich wants to do, but Gordon came to Valpo from Seton Hall, not Wake Forest. Given the experience sure to be on the 19-20 team, I could see them both coming off the bench; but I wouldn't sell Gordon's impact, or his chances to start short. He was a prolific scorer in High School. We think of Robinson who is of similar size to Markus Golder, as less athletic, but a better ball handler. Both seem to be willing and capable defenders at multiple positions. it should be an absolute joy for Valpo fans to watch the defense on the wings in 19-20. I think the Crusaders will be very tough to score on then. We're very excited about the future of the program.

The final open VU scholarship was awarded to grad transfer Deion Lavender formerly of UAB and SIU. Our expectations for him are modest but Valpo desperately needed an immediately eligible senior who could back up our inexperience both at the 2 and at the point.

Many of you may have better understandings of what he might contribute than I do so I will just open the floor for any comments.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting