2019 MVC Recruits

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: 2019 MVC Recruits

Postby just ducky » January 21st, 2019, 6:11 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I hadn't updated the list in a while but did so today. I have included Transfers who are sitting out who will be eligible next season. As we know, transfers are playing a HUGE role in MVC teams fortunes this season.

A quick check of the VU website roster will confirm that transfers Nick Robinson-- St Joseph's and Eron Gordon-- Seton Hall will both have 2 years of remaining eligibility. As it now sits the scholarship spot for Deion Lavender will be the only opening for the 19-20 season. Lots of names floating around but I know of no actual offers.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » January 21st, 2019, 9:56 pm

just ducky wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I hadn't updated the list in a while but did so today. I have included Transfers who are sitting out who will be eligible next season. As we know, transfers are playing a HUGE role in MVC teams fortunes this season.

A quick check of the VU website roster will confirm that transfers Nick Robinson-- St Joseph's and Eron Gordon-- Seton Hall will both have 2 years of remaining eligibility. As it now sits the scholarship spot for Deion Lavender will be the only opening for the 19-20 season. Lots of names floating around but I know of no actual offers.

Thanks. Missed those two guys. Will update.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby just ducky » February 27th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Verbal Commits lists Donovan Clay as heading to Valpo. He is a 2 star 6'6" SF from Alton HS (Ill). Looks like a late bloomer with good potential.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » February 27th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Looks like a little taller Freeman; long and bouncy athlete. Verbal commits lists everyone as a two**, so don't go by that necessarily, although he may well be in other services. Either way, looks like a kid who can play in the Valley.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » February 27th, 2019, 3:22 pm

just ducky wrote:Verbal Commits lists Donovan Clay as heading to Valpo. He is a 2 star 6'6" SF from Alton HS (Ill). Looks like a late bloomer with good potential.

Hes more project at this point (similar to Armon Brummett at Bradley) but with 13 rides why not take a guy like this?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby just ducky » February 27th, 2019, 5:36 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
just ducky wrote:Verbal Commits lists Donovan Clay as heading to Valpo. He is a 2 star 6'6" SF from Alton HS (Ill). Looks like a late bloomer with good potential.

Hes more project at this point (similar to Armon Brummett at Bradley) but with 13 rides why not take a guy like this?

Project players are fun to watch. They can make the recruiter look like a dummy or a genius. If all or most of the VU roster returns, him finding 2019-20 minutes looks near impossible. After that he should have his chance.

When I think about successful projects Vashil Fernandez comes first to my mind. A 6' 10" VU grad whose first years on campus looked to be a total waste of time energy and resources. Purely for his defense he finished up with back to back Horizon League- Defensive Player of Year awards and was given looks in D league.

So who knows? I've never known Valpo to do a non medical redshirt but there is already some VU board speculation that Donovan Clay might be the perfect exception to the rule.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » April 1st, 2019, 8:00 am

I updated the list after a couple transfers for Bradley and MSU this week.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleRedbird » April 8th, 2019, 5:50 am

just ducky wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Project players are fun to watch. They can make the recruiter look like a dummy or a genius. If all or most of the VU roster returns, him finding 2019-20 minutes looks near impossible. After that he should have his chance.

When I think about successful projects Vashil Fernandez comes first to my mind. A 6' 10" VU grad whose first years on campus looked to be a total waste of time energy and resources. Purely for his defense he finished up with back to back Horizon League- Defensive Player of Year awards and was given looks in D league.

So who knows? I've never known Valpo to do a non medical redshirt but there is already some VU board speculation that Donovan Clay might be the perfect exception to the rule.

The best project player I ever saw mature was Dinma Odiakosa at ISU. Went from a guy who could not run up and down the floor more than twice let alone catch a pass when he started, to one of the strongest players I've seen in the MVC and a first team all-conference performer.
PurpleRedbird
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting