Salukis Land another...

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Salukis Land another...

Postby BEARZ77 » June 20th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:SIUdawgs:
No sense trying to talk intelligently with haters. I have tried valiantly not to mention the former coaches name in my posts, but his friends on this site continue to do so. :)

This is only the start to great things ahead for Saluki Athletics in general. Some on this board may disagree, but I'm sure Doug Elgin, Arch Madness, and other MVC officials are extremely happy Mullins was hired, in more ways than none.

Wow that's just a plain stupid post. "Haters" ???? "Friends"??? You do realize this isn't the Saluki board and your petty in-fighting is your own BS. Most every Valley fan base and poster here is wanting SIU to be strong again. What you got was simply feedback on a couple posts that represented Mullins as having done something unique with his early recruiting when in fact he was doing what most new coaches do. Again, I think he's done a good job putting a roster in place; he took some chances on some players with injury histories and others who simply didn't cut it where they were before, but who have potential, and mixed in a couple decent freshmen and a solid transfer from EIU. If that's amazing in Carbondale, then I'm happy for you.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 20th, 2019, 5:16 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:SIUdawgs:
No sense trying to talk intelligently with haters. I have tried valiantly not to mention the former coaches name in my posts, but his friends on this site continue to do so. :)

This is only the start to great things ahead for Saluki Athletics in general. Some on this board may disagree, but I'm sure Doug Elgin, Arch Madness, and other MVC officials are extremely happy Mullins was hired, in more ways than none.

Wow that's just a plain stupid post. "Haters" ???? "Friends"??? You do realize this isn't the Saluki board and your petty in-fighting is your own BS. Most every Valley fan base and poster here is wanting SIU to be strong again. What you got was simply feedback on a couple posts that represented Mullins as having done something unique with his early recruiting when in fact he was doing what most new coaches do. Again, I think he's done a good job putting a roster in place; he took some chances on some players with injury histories and others who simply didn't cut it where they were before, but who have potential, and mixed in a couple decent freshmen and a solid transfer from EIU. If that's amazing in Carbondale, then I'm happy for you.

I started this topic back in September to share with SIU fans and other MVC fans news about Saluki recruits. If you don't like the topic, don't read it. If you choose to read it, good for you. If you choose to comment on the topic please do so wisely, so not to look foolish as some others have chosen.
When Missouri State reaches the NCAA tournament six straight years, and year 7 the NIT under Ford, than perhaps you will understand the expectations of continuing the excellence. We never got close to experiencing the excellence under the previous staff, hence the reason for optimism with coach Mullins.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » June 21st, 2019, 8:10 pm

siudawgs wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
siudawgs wrote:I get where you're coming from and your point has some merit, but ultimately I disagree. You can choose to believe that Hinson's staff would have pulled in four transfers from power-conference programs plus another D-I transfer who averaged 10 ppg as a freshman at Eastern. Having followed the caliber of SIU recruiting under Hinson very closely, I disagree. Maybe some of the other new coaches around the league would have, but not Hinson.

You are making an assumption that D1 transfers are > other recruits. I'm not making that jump. I'm not as obsessed with getting BCS transfers. Especially ones who barely played.

And that said, late in the spring those players (D1 transfers) are some of the better options available as the JUCO and HS ranks have been picked clean. This is done out of necessity and supply, not that Mullins is beating a full field of competitors for all of these great players.

And as BEARZ said...Barry would have done this as well. That's the name of the game now. It wasn't when Barry took over the SIU program.

Again, I follow Saluki basketball recruiting quite closely, and there is a marked difference in the volume and quality of recruits visiting and committing compared to Hinson's tenure. You've made it clear that you think Mullins isn't accomplishing anything on the recruiting trail different than what Barry Hinson would have done. I think time, and on-court results, will prove you wrong in the not-too-distant future.

Of course we will find out soon enough. But to lavish praise over the recruiting prowess of Bryan Mullins to get the following guys seems to be stretching it.

BCS transfers signed by SIU this spring
Barrett Benson - Grad transfer - 2.2 PPG at Northwestern
Malik William - 1.5 PPG at Clemson in 2017-18
Ronnie Suggs - 1.7 PPG at Mizzou
Karrington Davis - DNP at Nebraska
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dawgbit » June 24th, 2019, 7:34 am

You conveniently left out the fact that several of these players were injured for part, or all, of seasons. Typically, you are not signed by a power conference team if you are a mediocre player. You must be a Democrat.
Dawgbit
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » June 24th, 2019, 9:24 am

Dawgbit wrote:You conveniently left out the fact that several of these players were injured for part, or all, of seasons. Typically, you are not signed by a power conference team if you are a mediocre player. You must be a Democrat.

Aminu Timberlake says hello.

And let's make it about Bradley. Mike Shaw. Top 150 guy started at Illinois, ended up at Bradley. Zero. Alex Foster. Started at Texas Tech, went to Bradley, zero. Anthony Fields. Started at Wake Forest, went to Bradley. Zero.

MVC fans want to be considered as good as power conference teams but yet think every BCS reject is going to be a stud in the MVC. It makes no sense.

BCS schools make recruiting mistakes...just like every program in America does.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » July 29th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Salukis receive commitment from Zachary Gibson. 6'5 200 pound forward from Romeoville, IL who will also play receiver for the football team. Looks like a good athlete.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting