Salukis Land another...

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Salukis Land another...

Postby tribecalledquest » June 13th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Dawgbit wrote:Can you enlighten the readership as to how Barry failed to EVER get to the NCAAs in almost two decades of coaching? Hope this doesn't qualify as a "cheap shot" on my part. And if Mr. Wisconsin is such a blah player you need to tell that to the people from Wisconsin who gave him the award.

You are making claims that I didn't make.

Saying Barry wasn't successful in the end isn't a cheap shot. Claiming he somehow didn't work hard enough is. His record is what it is....and it wasn't good enough. Mentioning that is not the same as criticizing how hard he worked.

I also never said Domask was a "blah" player. I said, and provided evidence, that he wasn't a highly recruited player and that it wasn't some kind of steal for SIU. You failed to note that I said I thought he would be a good MVC player in the end.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 14th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Ronnie Suggs commits to Mullins and the Salukis. I believe SIU has one scholarship left to offer, or keep for next year's class. Go Dawgs!
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Majik45 » June 14th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Interesting as Ronnie Suggs was in Wardles 1st recruuting class. He played 30 minutes a game his freshman year at BU averaging 8.5 points a game. He then went to playing 7.5 minutes a game his sophomore year and only appeared in half the games. Wardle recruited over him so he transferred to Mizzou as a walk on. Not a bad pickup for SIU as he can play some minutes and will only be there one year.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » June 15th, 2019, 8:52 am

Majik45 wrote:Interesting as Ronnie Suggs was in Wardles 1st recruuting class. He played 30 minutes a game his freshman year at BU averaging 8.5 points a game. He then went to playing 7.5 minutes a game his sophomore year and only appeared in half the games. Wardle recruited over him so he transferred to Mizzou as a walk on. Not a bad pickup for SIU as he can play some minutes and will only be there one year.

Bryan Mullins strikes again!!!!!

Joking aside, at this late in the game Suggs is a nice addition who will be able to play some minutes at a decent level.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 15th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Majik45 wrote:Interesting as Ronnie Suggs was in Wardles 1st recruuting class. He played 30 minutes a game his freshman year at BU averaging 8.5 points a game. He then went to playing 7.5 minutes a game his sophomore year and only appeared in half the games. Wardle recruited over him so he transferred to Mizzou as a walk on. Not a bad pickup for SIU as he can play some minutes and will only be there one year.

Suggs will provide some much needed experience, and bring a bit more size to the roster. Not expecting a Lot, but he is a nice addition IMO. We shall see.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » June 19th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Nebraska transfer Karrington Davis, a 6-6 wing, has committed to Southern, becoming the eighth recruit for Mullins this spring/summer, including five D-1 transfers. He’ll have four years eligibility after a medical redshirt last year. The roster is now full up ... on to the 2020 class.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Salukimadness86 » June 20th, 2019, 7:30 am

siudawgs wrote:Nebraska transfer Karrington Davis, a 6-6 wing, has committed to Southern, becoming the eighth recruit for Mullins this spring/summer, including five D-1 transfers. He’ll have four years eligibility after a medical redshirt last year. The roster is now full up ... on to the 2020 class.

Didn't know this was official yet, but another nice pickup and addition to the roster.
What Mullins and staff have done in such a short amount of time is simply amazing. Saluki fans, alumni, and administration should be excited and encouraged for Saluki hoops again.
@siubasketball #dosomethingspecial
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » June 20th, 2019, 8:16 am

Salukimadness86 wrote:
siudawgs wrote:Nebraska transfer Karrington Davis, a 6-6 wing, has committed to Southern, becoming the eighth recruit for Mullins this spring/summer, including five D-1 transfers. He’ll have four years eligibility after a medical redshirt last year. The roster is now full up ... on to the 2020 class.

Didn't know this was official yet, but another nice pickup and addition to the roster.
What Mullins and staff have done in such a short amount of time is simply amazing. Saluki fans, alumni, and administration should be excited and encouraged for Saluki hoops again.

An interesting and potentially really good pickup by Mullins. From St Louis Chaminade and then one year at Monte Verde and then a year at Nebraska. But he has hardly played in 2 years and is coming off an achilles tear, which are usually more serious than ACL's these days. If he's able to play to his previous level, will be a nice Valley player when it's all said and done.

Noticed the roster for SIU has no Chris Payton, so I'm assuming he's not going to make it there. Mullins squad will be very defensive oriented, but that's a way to be competitive quickly. They have a pair of veteran guards, and a couple BCS transfers in the frontcourt, but points would look difficult to come by this year.

I get the enthusiasm, but "simply amazing" is kinda laughable. What else could he do but fill his roster. He's gotten a couple transfers with good potential but either injury histories or who haven't done much elsewhere along the front line, and those were smart pickups. His juco and freshman recruits could be helpful but overall are average rated at best. I think he's done a nice job, but when you look at what Evansville/Drake/ MSU all did last year under similar situations it's pretty par for the course. The transfer market is such that there are a lot of bodies available and the Valley is still a well regarded league so getting some potential solid adds isn't that difficult.

Again, I think he will field a very competitive team that plays hard and is aggressive defensively, but is going to have to find some offense to really be solid in year 1. That's what separated Drake last year.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » June 20th, 2019, 8:29 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Salukimadness86 wrote:

An interesting and potentially really good pickup by Mullins. From St Louis Chaminade and then one year at Monte Verde and then a year at Nebraska. But he has hardly played in 2 years and is coming off an achilles tear, which are usually more serious than ACL's these days. If he's able to play to his previous level, will be a nice Valley player when it's all said and done.

Noticed the roster for SIU has no Chris Payton, so I'm assuming he's not going to make it there. Mullins squad will be very defensive oriented, but that's a way to be competitive quickly. They have a pair of veteran guards, and a couple BCS transfers in the frontcourt, but points would look difficult to come by this year.

I get the enthusiasm, but "simply amazing" is kinda laughable. What else could he do but fill his roster. He's gotten a couple transfers with good potential but either injury histories or who haven't done much elsewhere along the front line, and those were smart pickups. His juco and freshman recruits could be helpful but overall are average rated at best. I think he's done a nice job, but when you look at what Evansville/Drake/ MSU all did last year under similar situations it's pretty par for the course. The transfer market is such that there are a lot of bodies available and the Valley is still a well regarded league so getting some potential solid adds isn't that difficult.

Again, I think he will field a very competitive team that plays hard and is aggressive defensively, but is going to have to find some offense to really be solid in year 1. That's what separated Drake last year.

Right. Salukimadness86 acts like most other coaches, Barry Hinson included, would have gone into the season with like 8 players. Only Bryan Mullins works hard enough to go out there and get a FULL ROSTER of players.

Wow. The league hasn't seen anything like this since.........last spring when Darien Devries, Dana Ford and Walter McCarthy did the exact same thing.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » June 20th, 2019, 8:34 am

As with most debates, the truth probably lies somewhere in between the two sides here, but I do think picking up eight pretty solid (on paper) recruits in a spring signing period is notable and shouldn't just be shrugged off. He certainly is hitting the transfer market really hard, and we'll see how that plays out ... I'd have to think at least two or three of them will end up being nice pickups. Mullins already has added more D-I transfers (five) in three months than Hinson did in seven seasons at Southern.

Agree with BEARZ77's assessment that this first group will likely have to have defense lead the way.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting