INTERESTING !

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: INTERESTING !

Postby tribecalledquest » October 16th, 2018, 12:58 pm

BCPanther wrote:They'll all get approved.

The end of 'Mid-Major' basketball is coming. This is just another step.

First, CBS/Turner has basically shut us out of the tournament and now the P6 is going to use us like a farm system. We're less than 10 years from our level being denied access from the tournament and crowning its own national championship in a tournament played on campus sites with the title game on ESPN+.

They'll put the entirety of the P6 in a big circle jerk of a tournament because its better for CBS/Turner to have Rutgers lose by 50 in the 1st round than have the next UMBC embarrass somebody.

Why didn't Jake and UNI turn down the opportunity to take Trae Berhow? Or Wes Washpun? Or Paul Jesperson?

Is transferring only bad when its away from MVC schools and not to MVC schools?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » October 16th, 2018, 2:43 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:They'll all get approved.

The end of 'Mid-Major' basketball is coming. This is just another step.

First, CBS/Turner has basically shut us out of the tournament and now the P6 is going to use us like a farm system. We're less than 10 years from our level being denied access from the tournament and crowning its own national championship in a tournament played on campus sites with the title game on ESPN+.

They'll put the entirety of the P6 in a big circle jerk of a tournament because its better for CBS/Turner to have Rutgers lose by 50 in the 1st round than have the next UMBC embarrass somebody.

Why didn't Jake and UNI turn down the opportunity to take Trae Berhow? Or Wes Washpun? Or Paul Jesperson?

Is transferring only bad when its away from MVC schools and not to MVC schools?

We're all just playing the same game with far less resources. In all of those cases, they were kids that UNI had recruited out of high school that chose to come closer to home.

I think kids should be able to move whenever they want to AND I think the P6 will exploit this. Both of those things can be true.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » October 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm

I would be fine with a player being able to transfer immediately if a school actually yanked his scholarship. That is not what his is about. This is about schools from certain conferences poaching players from other conferences to fill their rosters. High schools even make players sit out a semester if they transfer. It is to prevent recruiting from other schools. If you want the sport to be totally corrupt, then this is a good way to promote that.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » October 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Drakey wrote:I would be fine with a player being able to transfer immediately if a school actually yanked his scholarship.

So your point is the player only has a say if the school has already determined he can't play for them anymore, and thus has no alternative but to transfer . That's the old having your cake and eat it to as far as a coach and school are concerned. If a school/coach can opt out of the agreement, why not the player ? This isn't about corruption, that's rampant under the old system; this is about a student/athlete being able to have choice about where he gets an education and where he plays basketball, and not being penalized because perhaps his first decision wasn't the right one or because he now has opportunities to pursue a better situation for himself because of his abilities, just like the rest of us do in our personal decisions.

Like I said, I don't necessarily like it but fact is we all root for Universities that don't have the resources to compete in an open market; welcome to the way America runs. Why are there only x number of professional teams; because every city doesn't have the resources to compete at the level necessary to be included. You get to play at the level you can afford; we don't like it, but that's how it works.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » October 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Drakey wrote:I would be fine with a player being able to transfer immediately if a school actually yanked his scholarship. That is not what his is about. This is about schools from certain conferences poaching players from other conferences to fill their rosters. High schools even make players sit out a semester if they transfer. It is to prevent recruiting from other schools. If you want the sport to be totally corrupt, then this is a good way to promote that.

Why would a basketball player have different transfer rules than a regular "student?" Since these guys are just regular students who happen to play basketball? If a guy gets recruited over and wants to play somewhere else why does he get punished for that? It makes no sense.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » October 16th, 2018, 6:57 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Drakey wrote:I would be fine with a player being able to transfer immediately if a school actually yanked his scholarship.

So your point is the player only has a say if the school has already determined he can't play for them anymore, and thus has no alternative but to transfer . That's the old having your cake and eat it to as far as a coach and school are concerned. If a school/coach can opt out of the agreement, why not the player ? This isn't about corruption, that's rampant under the old system; this is about a student/athlete being able to have choice about where he gets an education and where he plays basketball, and not being penalized because perhaps his first decision wasn't the right one or because he now has opportunities to pursue a better situation for himself because of his abilities, just like the rest of us do in our personal decisions.

Like I said, I don't necessarily like it but fact is we all root for Universities that don't have the resources to compete in an open market; welcome to the way America runs. Why are there only x number of professional teams; because every city doesn't have the resources to compete at the level necessary to be included. You get to play at the level you can afford; we don't like it, but that's how it works.

There is no sit out penalty in Division 3 and they don't have this angst. A guy can transfer from a crappy place like Eureka College to a national power like UW Stevens Point and play right away. No one wrings their hands. No one complains about the fairness of it all. They realize kids should have some free will about what they do and where they go to school.

And you are right...trying to control everything because you don't like that other people have more than you doesn't seem like a good way to do things in something like college sports.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » November 16th, 2018, 8:58 am

Word is we should know today about the waivers. Hoping for all 3 for Monday
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting