INTERESTING !

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

INTERESTING !

Postby BEARZ77 » October 15th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Evidently MSU has requested waivers on all three D-1 transfers who signed with the Bears. Not sure on the chances of such; would seem to me that Tyrik Dixon from Middle Tennessee St. has the most reasonable chance. His coach left and he is moving close to home[ he's from north Arkansas]. He would definitely help our depth at guard this year, which is needed. Not sure how I view the other two. Would seem we could only get DaSilva for second semester and then have to appeal again to get another year next year. Hall would immediately raise our profile for right now, but I wouldn't know under what criteria we would get him eligible this year. Supposed to hear something in next day or 2.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

INTERESTING !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: INTERESTING !

Postby tribecalledquest » October 15th, 2018, 9:55 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Evidently MSU has requested waivers on all three D-1 transfers who signed with the Bears. Not sure on the chances of such; would seem to me that Tyrik Dixon from Middle Tennessee St. has the most reasonable chance. His coach left and he is moving close to home[ he's from north Arkansas]. He would definitely help our depth at guard this year, which is needed. Not sure how I view the other two. Would seem we could only get DaSilva for second semester and then have to appeal again to get another year next year. Hall would immediately raise our profile for right now, but I wouldn't know under what criteria we would get him eligible this year. Supposed to hear something in next day or 2.

This is the precursor of all transfers being immediately eligible...which is how it should be anyway.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » October 16th, 2018, 9:04 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Evidently MSU has requested waivers on all three D-1 transfers who signed with the Bears. Not sure on the chances of such; would seem to me that Tyrik Dixon from Middle Tennessee St. has the most reasonable chance. His coach left and he is moving close to home[ he's from north Arkansas]. He would definitely help our depth at guard this year, which is needed. Not sure how I view the other two. Would seem we could only get DaSilva for second semester and then have to appeal again to get another year next year. Hall would immediately raise our profile for right now, but I wouldn't know under what criteria we would get him eligible this year. Supposed to hear something in next day or 2.

This is the precursor of all transfers being immediately eligible...which is how it should be anyway.

Which means all mid-major players who show potential as freshman and sophomores will leave the schools that developed them in search of brighter lights elsewhere.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » October 16th, 2018, 9:27 am

Red wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Which means all mid-major players who show potential as freshman and sophomores will leave the schools that developed them in search of brighter lights elsewhere.

I'm sure that will happen often, but isn't that what a free society is based on. Using available resources to improve yourself and prepare for and achieve better opportunities. I don't like it necessarily in this context, but who can argue that isn't putting the individual student athlete first.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » October 16th, 2018, 9:50 am

No. It is not what a free society is based on. When you join the Army for a two year stint, it doesn't mean you can quit after 3 months without repercussions. when you sign a contract to construct a building, you can't just walk away halfway through without consequences. The whole purpose of the transfer rules was to discourage making college athletics into a bidding war and to stop recruiting once a student has enrolled at a school. This is a step backwards, and it is horrible for the students and the all athletic programs except for the top six conferences.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 16th, 2018, 9:56 am

They'll all get approved.

The end of 'Mid-Major' basketball is coming. This is just another step.

First, CBS/Turner has basically shut us out of the tournament and now the P6 is going to use us like a farm system. We're less than 10 years from our level being denied access from the tournament and crowning its own national championship in a tournament played on campus sites with the title game on ESPN+.

They'll put the entirety of the P6 in a big circle jerk of a tournament because its better for CBS/Turner to have Rutgers lose by 50 in the 1st round than have the next UMBC embarrass somebody.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » October 16th, 2018, 10:03 am

Drakey wrote:No. It is not what a free society is based on. When you join the Army for a two year stint, it doesn't mean you can quit after 3 months without repercussions. when you sign a contract to construct a building, you can't just walk away halfway through without consequences. The whole purpose of the transfer rules was to discourage making college athletics into a bidding war and to stop recruiting once a student has enrolled at a school. This is a step backwards, and it is horrible for the students and the all athletic programs except for the top six conferences.

Scholarships are 1 year commitments plain and simple. As long as coaches and Universities have the right to bail how can anyone argue the student athlete doesn't have the same right. How is it bad for student athletes?I'm all for honoring contracts , but there has to be a level playing field or one of the participants is being disadvantaged. As far as who it helps the most, how many top level athletes left the MVC this summer and how many did we sign ?

Again, i don't really like the way this plays out, but it's what happens when a system gets set up that takes advantage of a specific group[ student athletes] for the benefit of another group or groups[ coaches/ universities/ television market] You simply can't sustain a system where the main product has no say in the way they are managed. Professional sports had the same issue; hence free agency. At some point there's an adjustment that throws the system off balance. There will be winners and losers, always is.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » October 16th, 2018, 11:24 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Drakey wrote:No. It is not what a free society is based on. When you join the Army for a two year stint, it doesn't mean you can quit after 3 months without repercussions. when you sign a contract to construct a building, you can't just walk away halfway through without consequences. The whole purpose of the transfer rules was to discourage making college athletics into a bidding war and to stop recruiting once a student has enrolled at a school. This is a step backwards, and it is horrible for the students and the all athletic programs except for the top six conferences.

Scholarships are 1 year commitments plain and simple. As long as coaches and Universities have the right to bail how can anyone argue the student athlete doesn't have the same right. How is it bad for student athletes?I'm all for honoring contracts , but there has to be a level playing field or one of the participants is being disadvantaged. As far as who it helps the most, how many top level athletes left the MVC this summer and how many did we sign ?

Again, i don't really like the way this plays out, but it's what happens when a system gets set up that takes advantage of a specific group[ student athletes] for the benefit of another group or groups[ coaches/ universities/ television market] You simply can't sustain a system where the main product has no say in the way they are managed. Professional sports had the same issue; hence free agency. At some point there's an adjustment that throws the system off balance. There will be winners and losers, always is.

Exactly. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about a one-year commitment!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » October 16th, 2018, 11:54 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

Exactly. I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about a one-year commitment!

Haven't certain conferences required that scholarships be for 4 years now?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » October 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Red wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

And lower major player who show potential as freshmen and sophomores will leave the schools that "developed them" in search of brighter lights elsewhere.

Even if that does happen....so what?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting