South Plains loses in NJCAA semis

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Postby BEARZ77 » March 23rd, 2019, 8:01 am

MSU commit Gaige Primm finished his season with 29 pts and 15 rbs in the NJCAA semi finals as his team lost to Vincennes. He averaged 22 and 12 during the national tourney. Great juco season.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: South Plains loses in NJCAA semis

Postby Blers » March 23rd, 2019, 10:14 am

Not trying to disparage at all; but is there a reason he ended up at MSU and not a high major? I couldn't find anything in terms of other offers
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » March 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm

Blers wrote:Not trying to disparage at all; but is there a reason he ended up at MSU and not a high major? I couldn't find anything in terms of other offers

Interesting path for Mr Primm. Came out of HS in Colorado not that highly regarded as a 6'6 post player. Spent his freshman year at West Texas A&M , a D-2 program that made the elite 8 last year. He didn't even start for them, but was FOY in his conference and averaged 10 ppg and 7rbs. Transferred to South Plains , a perennial power in the juco ranks and started putting up huge numbers and we simply got in on him early. There was late interest from p-5's after verballing to MSU and Ford had to make extended efforts to maintain his commit, but so far so good. Listed as 6'9 now [ who knows] he's pretty old school, just a very strong efficient scorer on the blocks.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 24th, 2019, 9:25 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Blers wrote:Not trying to disparage at all; but is there a reason he ended up at MSU and not a high major? I couldn't find anything in terms of other offers

Interesting path for Mr Primm. Came out of HS in Colorado not that highly regarded as a 6'6 post player. Spent his freshman year at West Texas A&M , a D-2 program that made the elite 8 last year. He didn't even start for them, but was FOY in his conference and averaged 10 ppg and 7rbs. Transferred to South Plains , a perennial power in the juco ranks and started putting up huge numbers and we simply got in on him early. There was late interest from p-5's after verballing to MSU and Ford had to make extended efforts to maintain his commit, but so far so good. Listed as 6'9 now [ who knows] he's pretty old school, just a very strong efficient scorer on the blocks.

I will be anxious to see how well he plays together with DaSilva. In today's game its hard to have two true post players on the court at the same time. I'm sure Dana will work it out.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 24th, 2019, 1:16 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:

I will be anxious to see how well he plays together with DaSilva. In today's game its hard to have two true post players on the court at the same time. I'm sure Dana will work it out.

I think it will work out great because DaSilva isn't a true 5/post player even though he has a nice post game. He's much more suited to the 4 slot. If you watched him much he's a pretty good ball handler and he also shoots well from 3 point range. I think they will compliment each other very well.

Regarding Prim i agree with what Bearz stated as to the reason he didn't go P5. I would also add that as a true back to the basket post player he's a bit undersized at 6'8" . That probably kept a lot of P5 schools away.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » March 24th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Yes. His name is Dana Ford.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Sir Sci » March 27th, 2019, 11:20 am

If you look at the top ten juco players according to jucorecruiting.com you'll see that of those who have committed the programs are Oregon, St. John's, Nebraska, Missouri State, Saint Louis, LSU, Buffalo, and Texas Tech. While some of those are P5 teams, not all of them are. I don't think it's particularly rare for a high quality juco player to transfer to teams that are our level.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ValleyFAN » March 28th, 2019, 6:53 am

Sir Sci wrote:

If you look at the top ten juco players according to jucorecruiting.com you'll see that of those who have committed the programs are Oregon, St. John's, Nebraska, Missouri State, Saint Louis, LSU, Buffalo, and Texas Tech. While some of those are P5 teams, not all of them are. I don't think it's particularly rare for a high quality juco player to transfer to teams that are our level.

Most of your Top of the line programs dont take JUCO guys anyway. They may take a D1 transfer or two, but mostly rely on 5 star HS kids each year.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting