Bears get 1st verbal for 2020

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Bears get 1st verbal for 2020

Postby Blers » July 25th, 2019, 4:17 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Help me understand the optimism that Loyola will have better shooters this season.

The Ramblers shot 39.6% from three in the MVC last year and three of the top four shooters (Townes, Kaifes and Custer) won't be playing in 19-20. The only guys coming back who shot it from deep are Williamson (a solid 10 for 23, 42.5% in the MVC) and Skokna (9 for 31, 29% in the MVC).

I understand hope springs eternal in the offseason but who are going to be better shotmakers (excluding Williamson) than those three? Especially considering opposing perimeter defenses will take notice of them.

I don't believe I said better shooters, I should just say we'll have more. While Townes could go off from deep last year in spurts, he was honestly wasn't a great shooter (ended the year at 34% from 3). Then the only two we really had were Kaifes and Custer (Custer slumped hard at times last year, but still finished at 37%). Moser system relies on efficiency from deep. You get open looks, but you also need to make them. Last year the team had three players shoot above 35% from deep, and one of them only played 16 games.

The Ramblers had 6 over 35% in 18-19, 5 in 17-18, 5 in 16-17, 4 in 15-16 and 7 in 14-15. Last year we didn't have enough efficient shooters that could make open shots. Uguak and Skokna didn't have confidence to shoot behind the arc, and a lot of times it led to ball stopping and the offense having to reset. Uguak found his role remolded to a more traditional 4, getting rebounds and occasionally posting up with much more success near seasons end, but he still couldn't stretch defenses at all.

This year the Ramblers added:
-Clemons who shot 47% his freshman year of JUCO, then 40% with a higher sample size as a sophomore;
-Hall shot 43% as a sophomore
-Wojcik was known as a sharpshooter at La Lumiere.
-Pipkins was okay, but not ideal at 35.8% as the only D1 athlete at Paris
-Welch and Kennedy also shot the 3 well at times in high school (though I don't know if it'll completely translate to the next level).
-Norris, isn't eligible this year, but was outstanding as a freshman at Oakland and ended his season shooting 48% from 3 (67-138)

I'm not saying they'll all be successes, but every addition this year has demonstrated the ability at some level to knock down an open shot. The overall team percentage may not sky rocket, but hopefully the wealth will be spread a bit more making them tougher to defend. I think the biggest weakness last year is they relied SO HEAVILY on those 3 guys + Krutwig to produce. My hope is that now there are more guys to pick up the slack.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » July 25th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Blers wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Help me understand the optimism that Loyola will have better shooters this season.

The Ramblers shot 39.6% from three in the MVC last year and three of the top four shooters (Townes, Kaifes and Custer) won't be playing in 19-20. The only guys coming back who shot it from deep are Williamson (a solid 10 for 23, 42.5% in the MVC) and Skokna (9 for 31, 29% in the MVC).

I understand hope springs eternal in the offseason but who are going to be better shotmakers (excluding Williamson) than those three? Especially considering opposing perimeter defenses will take notice of them.

I don't believe I said better shooters, I should just say we'll have more. While Townes could go off from deep last year in spurts, he was honestly wasn't a great shooter (ended the year at 34% from 3). Then the only two we really had were Kaifes and Custer (Custer slumped hard at times last year, but still finished at 37%). Moser system relies on efficiency from deep. You get open looks, but you also need to make them. Last year the team had three players shoot above 35% from deep, and one of them only played 16 games.

The Ramblers had 6 over 35% in 18-19, 5 in 17-18, 5 in 16-17, 4 in 15-16 and 7 in 14-15. Last year we didn't have enough efficient shooters that could make open shots. Uguak and Skokna didn't have confidence to shoot behind the arc, and a lot of times it led to ball stopping and the offense having to reset. Uguak found his role remolded to a more traditional 4, getting rebounds and occasionally posting up with much more success near seasons end, but he still couldn't stretch defenses at all.

This year the Ramblers added:
-Clemons who shot 47% his freshman year of JUCO, then 40% with a higher sample size as a sophomore;
-Hall shot 43% as a sophomore
-Wojcik was known as a sharpshooter at La Lumiere.
-Pipkins was okay, but not ideal at 35.8% as the only D1 athlete at Paris
-Welch and Kennedy also shot the 3 well at times in high school (though I don't know if it'll completely translate to the next level).
-Norris, isn't eligible this year, but was outstanding as a freshman at Oakland and ended his season shooting 48% from 3 (67-138)

I'm not saying they'll all be successes, but every addition this year has demonstrated the ability at some level to knock down an open shot. The overall team percentage may not sky rocket, but hopefully the wealth will be spread a bit more making them tougher to defend. I think the biggest weakness last year is they relied SO HEAVILY on those 3 guys + Krutwig to produce. My hope is that now there are more guys to pick up the slack.

Fair enough. In a league like the Valley I think when you have lead dogs like Custer and Townes it makes it sooo much easier for everyone else because you are getting the #3/4 perimeter defender on the other guys.

I will be anxious to see how Williamson plays knowing he is now the #1 guy on the scouting report, and not 4 or 5. I think that stuff is huge in a veteran league like the Valley.

I would pick Loyola 3rd in the preseason after Missouri State and Bradley.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » July 26th, 2019, 9:17 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Fair enough. In a league like the Valley I think when you have lead dogs like Custer and Townes it makes it sooo much easier for everyone else because you are getting the #3/4 perimeter defender on the other guys.

I will be anxious to see how Williamson plays knowing he is now the #1 guy on the scouting report, and not 4 or 5. I think that stuff is huge in a veteran league like the Valley.

Entirely fair! LU needs to figure out who it's shot makers are in crunch time this season. I also don't know if Williamson is a lead dog. He's always been in the Ben Richardson mold for most Rambler fans, at worst an ideal glue guy. But he showed enough flashes last year that i think he can be more. I've kinda thought of his peak as a Jeremy Morgan like player, very very good, but isn't going to be able to win a ton of games on his own, but when paired with another guard could be lethal second option.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » July 26th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Blers wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Fair enough. In a league like the Valley I think when you have lead dogs like Custer and Townes it makes it sooo much easier for everyone else because you are getting the #3/4 perimeter defender on the other guys.

Entirely fair! LU needs to figure out who it's shot makers are in crunch time this season. I also don't know if Williamson is a lead dog. He's always been in the Ben Richardson mold for most Rambler fans, at worst an ideal glue guy. But he showed enough flashes last year that i think he can be more. I've kinda thought of his peak as a Jeremy Morgan like player, very very good, but isn't going to be able to win a ton of games on his own, but when paired with another guard could be lethal second option.

Agreed on Williamson. Good player. A winning player. Probably doesn't have the scorers mentality. I wanted Bradley to recruit him but, for some reason, didn't. Not that they would have gotten him but I would have liked to see them try.

The lead dog mentality is why I pick Bradley ahead of Loyola. Darrell Brown has been a key for opposing defenses for three years. Nothing new there for him.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » July 29th, 2019, 1:49 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Agreed on Williamson. Good player. A winning player. Probably doesn't have the scorers mentality. I wanted Bradley to recruit him but, for some reason, didn't. Not that they would have gotten him but I would have liked to see them try.

The lead dog mentality is why I pick Bradley ahead of Loyola. Darrell Brown has been a key for opposing defenses for three years. Nothing new there for him.

Love what Williamson is and hope he continues to add to his toolbox! I'm okay with Bradley over Loyola. Their experience is big, will be interesting to see how they respond to making the tournament last year. They lost a lot of glue to that team, DLO in particular.

I think MSU's the top dawg based on talent/experience. I think folks are sleeping on Drake as well. Wilkins, Thomas, and the Murphy twins all are very experienced and talented pieces. Plus i really like their freshman (sorry this thread got so derailed!)
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting