Bears get 1st verbal for 2020

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Re: Bears get 1st verbal for 2020

Postby ahunte1 » July 18th, 2019, 8:03 pm

BCPanther wrote:Yeah. Redshirts count against your scholarship limit UNLESS you talked one of them into a 4 for 5...

Ford certainly seems, um, creative when it comes to scholarships.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » July 18th, 2019, 8:34 pm

ahunte1 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Yeah. Redshirts count against your scholarship limit UNLESS you talked one of them into a 4 for 5...

That's a far nicer word than I would have used
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » July 19th, 2019, 12:18 pm

ahunte1 wrote:

If he asked around and someone agreed to it to help the team?

Now, if it was forced upon someone in some way...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » July 20th, 2019, 11:13 am

Sir Sci wrote:Today's latest tweet from Wyatt:

"Just received clarification from MSU:

Ford Cooper will likely be on an athletics scholarship. MSU will wait until the end of the summer semester to see if all freshmen qualify. No one will leave. One of the 3 freshmen will likely redshirt and not count against the scholarships."

I don't know how that's supposed to work, but I hope Missouri State knows what they're doing if they're claiming no one will leave.

This was the worst "clarification" ever. That only muddied things and didn't clarify anything.

If Im an MSU fan I get behind Dana Ford, take all the talent he gets, enjoy the games and don't ask questions :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 24th, 2019, 1:52 pm

There's nothing that nefarious going on . It was reported early in the spring that several of the incoming freshmen had some academic issues to resolve in order to be eligible. That proved true with Harris, and word is that there is still some concern with at least 1 of them. If it proves true that player will not be on scholarship this year as they will be ineligible anyway, and Cooper will get their scholy. As far as the comments about player movement, I don't think MSU has had anymore and maybe less this spring/summer than several more established coaches/programs in the Valley. The twins left, but they were a gamble that didn't pay off, although S.Wojcik if he wasn't injured last year showed promise. Harris is a good kid, but just hasn't gotten it done academically evidently , which is a shame because he is really good imho [ and evidently Self's as well].

While I've not been beating the drum like many that we should be the favorites this year [ I'd pick us 3-4 like] word is that both Prim and Mosley are very impressive , which when you add to established returnees like Cook and DaSilva, and proven D-1 players like West [West Virginia] Hall [Nevada] Bonner[ Colorado St.] and Dixon [ Middle Tenn. St.] that starts to look pretty formidable.And that doesn't include Ridder, Mohammed, and freshmen Cooper and Black. But I'm from Mo, so Ford has to do it first for me.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » July 25th, 2019, 8:20 am

Honestly i think if MSU doesn't win with the talent that they've assembled then somethings off. I'd think they should be picked to win the league.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » July 25th, 2019, 9:11 am

Blers wrote:Honestly i think if MSU doesn't win with the talent that they've assembled then somethings off. I'd think they should be picked to win the league.

I know a lot of people think that, but a couple things give me pause. First this is just year 2 for Ford/MSU and many of the good coaches this league has had recently took till year 3 to really have it going [Marshal/Martin/McDermott] when they were establishing their systems. Secondly, Ford is young and except for one year has been just a .500 level coach. So far he's done what his history as an assistant says he does well, recruit and promote his program. Now he has to prove he can win. It's all good so far and unlike others I will be ok with a top 4 finish this year if we show signs of really establishing an identity consistently on the court.

I think you're sandbagging it a bit Blers, as your Ramblers have had a very good recruiting year , have a core of excellent vets led by the probable preseason POY, and are 2 time defending champs. Until proven different, they're my favorites.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » July 25th, 2019, 10:05 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Blers wrote:Honestly i think if MSU doesn't win with the talent that they've assembled then somethings off. I'd think they should be picked to win the league.

I know a lot of people think that, but a couple things give me pause. First this is just year 2 for Ford/MSU and many of the good coaches this league has had recently took till year 3 to really have it going [Marshal/Martin/McDermott] when they were establishing their systems. Secondly, Ford is young and except for one year has been just a .500 level coach. So far he's done what his history as an assistant says he does well, recruit and promote his program. Now he has to prove he can win. It's all good so far and unlike others I will be ok with a top 4 finish this year if we show signs of really establishing an identity consistently on the court.

I think you're sandbagging it a bit Blers, as your Ramblers have had a very good recruiting year , have a core of excellent vets led by the probable preseason POY, and are 2 time defending champs. Until proven different, they're my favorites.

I do think the jury is out as far as Dana Ford, the basketball coach/tactician/game planner, etc. Basically everything but recruiter.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » July 25th, 2019, 10:48 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I know a lot of people think that, but a couple things give me pause. First this is just year 2 for Ford/MSU and many of the good coaches this league has had recently took till year 3 to really have it going [Marshal/Martin/McDermott] when they were establishing their systems. Secondly, Ford is young and except for one year has been just a .500 level coach. So far he's done what his history as an assistant says he does well, recruit and promote his program. Now he has to prove he can win. It's all good so far and unlike others I will be ok with a top 4 finish this year if we show signs of really establishing an identity consistently on the court.

All super fair points! I just feel like the talent level + experience level favors MSU so much. Given that a lot of their new additions are transfers who've already played D1. Maybe we're both sandbagging it a bit ;) .

I LOVE the additions LU made, but we just lost two Larry Bird PotY, and only have one senior in Skokna (who... is fine). And while we may have the preseason favorite in Krutwig for next season after that there's no TRUE second star yet. I think Williamson is that guy, had he not broken (then re-broken) his hand last year i'd probably be more confident. Then the third returning option entering this season was Kaifes, and he'll sadly be out.

That said, the talent influx is huge, but it takes time to learn Moser's offense/defense the way he wants it run. Last year we didn't have the shooters and the ball ended up getting stuck in non-shooters hands, where players would pass up wide open looks. This year we should have the shooters, but are short on D1 experience. Hall's a D2 transfer, Pipkins and Clemons are JUCO's, the Kennedy, Wojcik, and Welch are all freshman. I think we'll be fun to watch, but closing games will be a work in progress.

If Braden Norris our Oakland transfer was eligible to play i'd be a bit more confident. We have the brawn for this year, but the brains may take a bit to fully develop. I just think MSU has a bit of both right now! But pointing out Ford's record as a coach is super fair, and i'd be wary too after what happened during Alize's senior year, where it seemed to be a similar story in terms of roster.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » July 25th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Help me understand the optimism that Loyola will have better shooters this season.

The Ramblers shot 39.6% from three in the MVC last year and three of the top four shooters (Townes, Kaifes and Custer) won't be playing in 19-20. The only guys coming back who shot it from deep are Williamson (a solid 10 for 23, 42.5% in the MVC) and Skokna (9 for 31, 29% in the MVC).

I understand hope springs eternal in the offseason but who are going to be better shotmakers (excluding Williamson) than those three? Especially considering opposing perimeter defenses will take notice of them.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting