Redbird Recruits 2020

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Redbird Recruits 2020

Postby Adunk33 » November 19th, 2019, 5:05 pm

With Marcus Belcher as the Recruiting Coordinator, for the first time in years, it seems Illinois State will not be scrambling to fill roster spots in late May. I know a lot can happen by next season, but it is refreshing to have this many guys in the fall. Something that ILST hasn't done in a long time.

Illinois State has filled three of its four available scholarships for 2020 so far in the spring signing period within a week.

Josiah Strong, 6'2 Combo guard out of Western Iowa CC. Spent his freshmen year coming off the bench for 10 minutes per game at Navy. He was a serviceable back up to their senior pg at the time.
https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/11/19/ ... o-nli.aspx

Emon Washington, 6'5 wing player out of Yazoo City, Mississippi. As a junior, he averaged 16.5 ppg, and 9.4 assists, which included a game that he pulled down a career-high 26 rebounds.
https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/11/19/ ... o-nli.aspx

Alston Andrews 6'9 Forward out from Ocoee HS in FL. Has a 7 foot + wingspan and is expected to grow another inch or two and play as a freshmen at 240. His HS believes he would be an SEC player if he took a year of prep school.
https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/11/18/ ... o-nli.aspx

The Redbirds have just one scholarship remaining, and it is expected to be used on a 6'5 point guard out of Louisville. His HS coach feels if he waited until spring he would get some high major offers but told him, "you want to go where somebody wants you, it doesn't have to be a big name." He is announcing his decision Wednesday evening at 5 p.m. CT.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Redbird Recruits 2020

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Redbird Recruits 2020

Postby Adunk33 » November 20th, 2019, 6:47 pm

As predicted, the Redbirds fill their fourth and final scholarship with the addition of Howard Fleming Jr, a 6’5 point guard out of Louisville. I know things happen in the current landscape of college basketball but it’s nice having all of the spots filled right now.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 21st, 2019, 10:29 am

Adunk33 wrote:As predicted, the Redbirds fill their fourth and final scholarship with the addition of Howard Fleming Jr, a 6’5 point guard out of Louisville. I know things happen in the current landscape of college basketball but it’s nice having all of the spots filled right now.

Clearly time will tell but its certainly a departure from how Dan Muller has done things in the past.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » November 22nd, 2019, 9:12 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:As predicted, the Redbirds fill their fourth and final scholarship with the addition of Howard Fleming Jr, a 6’5 point guard out of Louisville. I know things happen in the current landscape of college basketball but it’s nice having all of the spots filled right now.

Clearly time will tell but its certainly a departure from how Dan Muller has done things in the past.

Absolutely. It's early in the year but the impact of the additions of Marcus Belcher (Recruiting Coordinator) and Brian Jones (Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator) cannot be overlooked. They have been perfect compliments to Muller so far.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » January 15th, 2020, 8:59 am

Emon Washington has been named a nominee for the McDonalds All-American Game. He's one of 11 players from Georgia on the list.

https://twitter.com/SouthCobbBball/stat ... 80/photo/1
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 16th, 2020, 12:20 am

If he's recuriting at this level you can't fire Muller. You have to keep him. This kind of talent is what the MVC needs.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » January 16th, 2020, 11:19 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:If he's recuriting at this level you can't fire Muller. You have to keep him. This kind of talent is what the MVC needs.

As I posted above. Muller hasn't had a class completely signed in the fall since he brought in Lee, Wills, and the big kid from Minnesota. I do think Belcher is doing a wonderful job recruiting and has been an asset to the team.

Obviously, the Redbirds have struggled this year. So many people are chirping to Fire Muller but don't realize his buyout is $2M. Like it or not, he's here another couple of years. I really like the pieces they've added. Abdou is starting to play better and will be interesting to see how he fits in. Haoruna Sissoko is going to RS, he's a freak raw athlete that was a top 10 player in Iowa his senior year. Then you've seen flashes of Reeves and Horne. Pepper in these four guys coming in that seem to be good, it feels like the talent will be there in coming years. Plus I assume another scholarship comes available for a big man.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 16th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:If he's recuriting at this level you can't fire Muller. You have to keep him. This kind of talent is what the MVC needs.

As I posted above. Muller hasn't had a class completely signed in the fall since he brought in Lee, Wills, and the big kid from Minnesota. I do think Belcher is doing a wonderful job recruiting and has been an asset to the team.

Obviously, the Redbirds have struggled this year. So many people are chirping to Fire Muller but don't realize his buyout is $2M. Like it or not, he's here another couple of years. I really like the pieces they've added. Abdou is starting to play better and will be interesting to see how he fits in. Haoruna Sissoko is going to RS, he's a freak raw athlete that was a top 10 player in Iowa his senior year. Then you've seen flashes of Reeves and Horne. Pepper in these four guys coming in that seem to be good, it feels like the talent will be there in coming years. Plus I assume another scholarship comes available for a big man.

Sissoko won't ever be more than a role player.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby patnb » January 21st, 2020, 9:53 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:

Sissoko won't ever be more than a role player.

I had never heard of Sissoko, and I've followed recruiting in Iowa for a while. He's never been mentioned on UNI's forum and only in passing on Drakes forum only because he played 10 minutes from the Knapp with a kid that signed at Drake. Drake saw him play many times, still didn't show him any interest. He had no interest from even the likes of South Dakota, South Dakota State, UND or WIU. That's kind of a red flag.

As far as the "McDonald's All American nominee" thing, UNI signed 2 of them in this last years class, one is a walk on. Not as cool as you'd think.
patnb
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby municup14 » January 21st, 2020, 11:57 am

To bad Evansville couldn't keep Marcus as an Assistant coach
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting