Redbird Recruits 2023

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Redbird Recruits 2023

Postby Adunk33 » July 5th, 2022, 8:01 am

For the first time in what feels like a very long time, Illinois State has landed a couple of recruits headed into their senior season of high school.

Johnny Kinziger is a 5'11 point guard out of De Pere High School in Wisconsin, just outside of Green Bay. He has consistently said he wanted to get his college decision out of the way so he can focus on leading his team to a state championship. They fell a few games short last season. His other offers were from UWGB and Toledo, but his coach believes more would come had he not committed so early. Last season, he averaged 21.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists.
https://pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/watch-now-wisconsin-high-school-point-guard-john-kinziger-commits-to-illinois-state/article_55711a8c-f3f6-11ec-b384-ab7e3bce227c.html

If you ever wonder over to the RedbirdFan message board, you'll see a lot of long-time fans hoping for a "coke machine" style of big that can own the paint. Well, the Birds may have gotten just that in recent commit Chase Walker out of St. Charles in Columbus, Ohio. The 6'8, 335-pound big man has footwork and touch that you would never expect from a guy his size. He admits, in college he'd like to play closer to 270 and isn't afraid of the work. There is a full game video out there of him and he does the little things as well. The video shows him battling for offensive rebounds, getting up multiple shots, finishing through contact, and even diving on the floor for loose balls. That's a lot of body to be hitting the ground. He's got work to do, but fans seem to be excited about the opportunity of having some size in the program. Chase averaged 19ppg/11rb his junior year.
https://pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/watch-now-illinois-state-basketball-team-gains-big-commitment-from-chase-walker-of-ohio/article_496ba4c0-fa5c-11ec-aedd-3b54ee6d2f71.html

Right now, I'm just assuming everyone on the current team will utilize their COVID year of eligibility, which would mean Pedon only has one scholarship remaining for the 2023 class. Obviously, there will be transfers out but just wanted to let you know that's how I'm looking at it.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Redbird Recruits 2023

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Redbird Recruits 2023

Postby Adunk33 » July 28th, 2022, 2:40 pm

The Redbirds land 6'6 wing out of St. Joe-Ogden, highly touted Ty Pence. His recruitment was really interested getting a ton of P5 offers last summer. But with the COVID extra year and P5s filling holes through the portal, he fell through the cracks. He had a final three of Belmont, Wake Forrest and Illinois State, even visiting Wake last week and opted for the Birds.

The most exciting gets since Reeves (and before that??? McIntosh, probably) and is getting some solid media exposure throughout.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/28/23282511/ty-pence-basketball-illinois-state

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/sj-o-standout-pence-commits-to-illinois-state-mens-basketball/article_ae2023f4-6731-541c-b6fe-15e5bbd24d4f.html

https://pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/watch-now-st-joseph-ogden-basketball-standout-ty-pence-commits-to-illinois-state/article_ab751da0-0e01-11ed-a850-77f5520914a9.html

Pedon has said he's wanted to put a focus on recruiting the midwest. So far, the three '23 commits are from Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio. The '24 offers he has out mirror these ideals as well.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » July 29th, 2022, 10:19 am

Adunk33 wrote:The Redbirds land 6'6 wing out of St. Joe-Ogden, highly touted Ty Pence. His recruitment was really interested getting a ton of P5 offers last summer. But with the COVID extra year and P5s filling holes through the portal, he fell through the cracks. He had a final three of Belmont, Wake Forrest and Illinois State, even visiting Wake last week and opted for the Birds.

The most exciting gets since Reeves (and before that??? McIntosh, probably) and is getting some solid media exposure throughout.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/28/23282511/ty-pence-basketball-illinois-state

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/sj-o-standout-pence-commits-to-illinois-state-mens-basketball/article_ae2023f4-6731-541c-b6fe-15e5bbd24d4f.html

https://pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/watch-now-st-joseph-ogden-basketball-standout-ty-pence-commits-to-illinois-state/article_ab751da0-0e01-11ed-a850-77f5520914a9.html

Pedon has said he's wanted to put a focus on recruiting the midwest. So far, the three '23 commits are from Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio. The '24 offers he has out mirror these ideals as well.

Great job by Pedon. Pence is a really good player and the type of kid that MVC schools need.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » August 10th, 2022, 7:35 am

Here's an interesting article about some Redbird (and other MVC targets) from Bloomington-Normal in the class of 2024. There is a lot of talent in that class and Pedon and Co has focused on doing what they can to keep local kids local, getting on them early.

I think back to Matt Chastain, who Muller didn't even offer until March of his senior year. He ended up at Loyola before transferring to ISU. He had an injury filled career and didn't pan out how most hoped, but still, you can't let a kid like that leave town.

Hopefully, Pedon can work some magic and keep at least a couple of this guys around.

https://pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/watch-now-intercity-basketball-players-grateful-to-receive-offers-from-illinois-state/article_5cb552c0-1757-11ed-af43-4bf6fe10bcd9.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » November 9th, 2022, 1:11 pm

All three guys submitted their NLIs today making it for the first fall recruiting class for ISU in what feels like 10 years.

Really like what Pedon has brought in with his first class. Pence is the highest rated recruit to come to Normal since Osiris Eldridge.

We'll see what spots need to be filled after the season in the spring but as of now, all scholarships for '23 are accounted for.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » December 31st, 2022, 8:20 am

I spent the week at the State Farm Holiday Classic tournament here in Bloomington-Normal checking out 2023 Commit, Ty Pence of St. Joe-Ogden. Ty led all scorers throughout the tournament, averaging around 31 ppg en route to his team’s championship of the Small School Boys Bracket. The 6’6 guard does not only score the ball extremely well at all 3 levels, he is a really good passer as well. He played four games in four days and in the last three games, the score was tight at half (down 4, down 2, tied) and Ty came out and absolutely took over each game in the 3Q. That’s highlighted by yesterday’s championship win where he scored 32 points, 19 of which came in the third quarter. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a recruit…what could possibly go wrong? :D
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » December 31st, 2022, 10:10 am

Adunk33 wrote:I spent the week at the State Farm Holiday Classic tournament here in Bloomington-Normal checking out 2023 Commit, Ty Pence of St. Joe-Ogden. Ty led all scorers throughout the tournament, averaging around 31 ppg en route to his team’s championship of the Small School Boys Bracket. The 6’6 guard does not only score the ball extremely well at all 3 levels, he is a really good passer as well. He played four games in four days and in the last three games, the score was tight at half (down 4, down 2, tied) and Ty came out and absolutely took over each game in the 3Q. That’s highlighted by yesterday’s championship win where he scored 32 points, 19 of which came in the third quarter. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a recruit…what could possibly go wrong? :D

I think Ty is a really good recruit but the level of play he plays against isn't great as you know so it's hard to tell. I remember watching Shawn Jeppson score 52 in the state title game - he ended up having a decent career at ISU.

For the record - I wish Bradley would have gotten Pence - but it's so hard to tell on small school guys.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » December 31st, 2022, 10:29 am

Adunk33 wrote:I spent the week at the State Farm Holiday Classic tournament here in Bloomington-Normal checking out 2023 Commit, Ty Pence of St. Joe-Ogden. Ty led all scorers throughout the tournament, averaging around 31 ppg en route to his team’s championship of the Small School Boys Bracket. The 6’6 guard does not only score the ball extremely well at all 3 levels, he is a really good passer as well. He played four games in four days and in the last three games, the score was tight at half (down 4, down 2, tied) and Ty came out and absolutely took over each game in the 3Q. That’s highlighted by yesterday’s championship win where he scored 32 points, 19 of which came in the third quarter. It’s been a long time since I’ve been this excited about a recruit…what could possibly go wrong? :D

Not since Justin Dentmon!
Add Eric Bush!!
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » January 3rd, 2023, 12:11 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

I think Ty is a really good recruit but the level of play he plays against isn't great as you know so it's hard to tell. I remember watching Shawn Jeppson score 52 in the state title game - he ended up having a decent career at ISU.

For the record - I wish Bradley would have gotten Pence - but it's so hard to tell on small school guys.

You are right about it's tough to know with the level of competition they play against. Ty beat Normal: U-High in the Championship game, which is usually a "Large School" in this tournament. St. Joe is 1A and the teams they beat were Annawan (2A), El Paso (2A), Rockford Lutheran (2A), and U-High (2A). Definitely not huge schools or world beaters but technically a "class above" St. Joe.

Matt Chastain (Leroy) and Taylor Bruninga (Illini Bluffs) were very intriguing prospects from small schools who's careers were derailed by injuries. They showed flashes when healthy.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 3rd, 2023, 7:03 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

You are right about it's tough to know with the level of competition they play against. Ty beat Normal: U-High in the Championship game, which is usually a "Large School" in this tournament. St. Joe is 1A and the teams they beat were Annawan (2A), El Paso (2A), Rockford Lutheran (2A), and U-High (2A). Definitely not huge schools or world beaters but technically a "class above" St. Joe.

Matt Chastain (Leroy) and Taylor Bruninga (Illini Bluffs) were very intriguing prospects from small schools who's careers were derailed by injuries. They showed flashes when healthy.

What was the level of competition in his summer AAU games, and how did he look?
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting