Davion Hill a Bear

A place to discuss tomorrow's MVC stars.

Davion Hill a Bear

Postby BEARZ77 » May 17th, 2023, 3:23 pm

In one of the more strange recruiting processes , Davion Hill, younger brother of Alize Johnson has committed to the Bears per his own postings. It's been strange because of long periods of no real indicators and the fact his older brother David, decommited from Towson last year and walked on at MSU and then redshirted . He was by far the lesser regarded of the 3 brothers and Davion has always been considered the better prospect coming out of HS, even than Alize who was a late bloomer. David then entered the transfer portal just last week, casting further doubt about Davion.

Even Davion's offers were unclear at times, as he had some early offers from schools such as Maryland, but recently listed only Towson , Kent St and MSU. I asked David just about a month ago about Davion's status and even he was unsure, but said we were still possible. Part of his early HS uncertainty is that he was probably a better prospect in football early in HS, but an injury sent his focus entirely to the basketball side. He played at Neuman Regional Academy, same as Alize, a 2A school in Pennsylvania. He was 4x All State in Penn. and was the 2x 2A POY . This past year he averaged 34.3 ppg.

An AAU guy in Springfield watched him a couple years ago and describes him as a "freakish athlete". He's not a pure pg and not a great outside shooter, but he plays with a real edge, has a high BBIQ, passes and defends at high levels . I think for Valley fans, he probably slots in as someone like Washpun was for UNI as far as size [ he's 6'2] and athleticsm.

Bears have a full 13 now. Since season's end we lost only 2 transfers [ Mogbo/ Graham, along with w/o Hill] and have added transfers from SLU and Xavier , along with signing a pair of high level HS recruits. What was thought to be going to be a max exodus and big roster churn year, has turned into a solid off season for the Bears, still waiting on adding another coach as AHC Jace Herl departed for North Texas.

Side note: I've been half expecting David Hill to announce a transfer to Austin Peay,[ kinda kidding , but maybe not]. As some know former Bears assistant coach Cory Gibson took the Northwestern St job last year and took 4 former Bears with him and signed Gaige Prims brother. He did well enough that his alma mater AP offered him their HC job, so he bolted for there , took all the former MSU guys with him, has since added former Bear signee Jonathan Dunn and also former Springfield HS, Ex MU and Iona guard Brookshire . So I think right now 7 of the roster players at AP have ties to MSU and/or Springfield.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Davion Hill a Bear

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Davion Hill a Bear

Postby Birdfan2018 » May 18th, 2023, 11:17 am

BEARZ77 wrote:In one of the more strange recruiting processes , Davion Hill, younger brother of Alize Johnson has committed to the Bears per his own postings. It's been strange because of long periods of no real indicators and the fact his older brother David, decommited from Towson last year and walked on at MSU and then redshirted . He was by far the lesser regarded of the 3 brothers and Davion has always been considered the better prospect coming out of HS, even than Alize who was a late bloomer. David then entered the transfer portal just last week, casting further doubt about Davion.

Even Davion's offers were unclear at times, as he had some early offers from schools such as Maryland, but recently listed only Towson , Kent St and MSU. I asked David just about a month ago about Davion's status and even he was unsure, but said we were still possible. Part of his early HS uncertainty is that he was probably a better prospect in football early in HS, but an injury sent his focus entirely to the basketball side. He played at Neuman Regional Academy, same as Alize, a 2A school in Pennsylvania. He was 4x All State in Penn. and was the 2x 2A POY . This past year he averaged 34.3 ppg.

An AAU guy in Springfield watched him a couple years ago and describes him as a "freakish athlete". He's not a pure pg and not a great outside shooter, but he plays with a real edge, has a high BBIQ, passes and defends at high levels . I think for Valley fans, he probably slots in as someone like Washpun was for UNI as far as size [ he's 6'2] and athleticsm.

Bears have a full 13 now. Since season's end we lost only 2 transfers [ Mogbo/ Graham, along with w/o Hill] and have added transfers from SLU and Xavier , along with signing a pair of high level HS recruits. What was thought to be going to be a max exodus and big roster churn year, has turned into a solid off season for the Bears, still waiting on adding another coach as AHC Jace Herl departed for North Texas.

Side note: I've been half expecting David Hill to announce a transfer to Austin Peay,[ kinda kidding , but maybe not]. As some know former Bears assistant coach Cory Gibson took the Northwestern St job last year and took 4 former Bears with him and signed Gaige Prims brother. He did well enough that his alma mater AP offered him their HC job, so he bolted for there , took all the former MSU guys with him, has since added former Bear signee Jonathan Dunn and also former Springfield HS, Ex MU and Iona guard Brookshire . So I think right now 7 of the roster players at AP have ties to MSU and/or Springfield.

Interesting that each of the University’s on this thread have their own thread, but Missouri State fans feel the need to have a thread for each recruit.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Re: Davion Hill a Bear

Postby BEARZ77 » May 18th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:Interesting that each of the University’s on this thread have their own thread, but Missouri State fans feel the need to have a thread for each recruit.

Really, what's interesting is that it bothers you, and I'm curious what point you are trying to make. Because it took just 10 seconds to scroll down and find, oh my gosh, that several schools , Drake, UNI and Bradley to name 3, also have multiple postings for different signings. So now it's even more curious that your agenda was such that you felt a need to lie to try to make your point.

If the board mods want that format [ each team all in one thread} that's fine, all they have to do is post it. But again, doesn't seem to be a problem given multiple teams are doing it either way.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to MVC Basketball Recruiting