Sycamore Madman Training Day

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » July 28th, 2011, 2:29 pm

A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Sycamore Madman Training Day

Postby panther-state » July 29th, 2011, 1:41 am

In small-town Iowa thats called walking to school ;)
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby dgreenwell3 » July 29th, 2011, 6:05 pm

panther-state wrote:In small-town Iowa thats called walking to school ;)

You lift tractor tires, climb a wall, lift two 200 pound weights and run with a 50 pound rucksack on your way to school?
Sycamores are probably one of the hardest working teams in the NCAA currently. There are some serious horrorstories from when Lou West was the coach of: No weights required, optional practices and little to no nutrition work.
David McManus is very responsible for the recent turn around in most ISU athletics, one of the best strength coaches no doubt.
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby MoValley John » July 30th, 2011, 1:07 am

dgreenwell3 wrote:Sycamores are probably one of the hardest working teams in the NCAA currently.

Are you serious? They work harder than Texas, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Ohio State, Miami, USC, Oregon, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Auburn, aTm or even Appalachian State?

If you said FCS, I might let it go, but you included the enirety of college football. You guys probably aren't even close to the hardest working, results oriented program in the FCS. I would venture to guess that UNI and SIU have more gruelling workouts for their players. You don't have the weightroom and you don't have the money for the expertese and individual conditioning. And no, one gimmicky day does not a training program make.

That said, many schools do just the same thing, the difference is, the higher up you go, the more money spent on the program, the more individual the workouts, the more position specific the wokouts and the better the results. Flipping tractor tires for a day is cool to show the media, but you guys aren't even close to one of the hardest working programs in the NCAA.

Look at Arkansas. The 1:40 mark is where the "fun" starts.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/videos/2011/jul/12/4847/

Lots of teams do different "fun" things to end the summer workout. With that, here are where real results are made:
http://stacktv.stack.com/Football/Unive ... rcuit.html
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby panther-state » July 30th, 2011, 3:08 am

dgreenwell3 wrote:

You lift tractor tires, climb a wall, lift two 200 pound weights and run with a 50 pound rucksack on your way to school?
Sycamores are probably one of the hardest working teams in the NCAA currently. There are some serious horrorstories from when Lou West was the coach of: No weights required, optional practices and little to no nutrition work.
David McManus is very responsible for the recent turn around in most ISU athletics, one of the best strength coaches no doubt.

I'll believe you since you obviously aren't biased on this or anything but as a matter of fact I do :roll:

But come to Parkersburg or Waverly, Iowa big guy and we'll show you some true men among boys. They might not be college football players but they'll show your Sycamore boys a thing or two about hard work and turning that hard work into results whether its football or wrestling or anything else.
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby dgreenwell3 » July 30th, 2011, 10:49 am

It's not just madman day Movalley, I see what they do on a regular basis and it is truly just some insane stuff. I may have been a little biased on the "hardworking" comment but seeing the difference between now and 2007 is like watching Pee-wee football and pro, it's night and day. Have to keep Dave McManus in Terre Haute for a long time.
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby dgreenwell3 » July 30th, 2011, 10:54 am

panther-state wrote:
dgreenwell3 wrote:

I'll believe you since you obviously aren't biased on this or anything but as a matter of fact I do :roll:

But come to Parkersburg or Waverly, Iowa big guy and we'll show you some true men among boys. They might not be college football players but they'll show your Sycamore boys a thing or two about hard work and turning that hard work into results whether its football or wrestling or anything else.

(Rolls eyes) Seriously, there isnt much of a difference betwen the type of "men" grown in Iowa than Indiana. Whenever I hear the phrase "Country strong" or "Farm boy strong" used in sports it makes me want to chuckle uncontrollably. Strength is strength whether grown on a farm in Indiana/Iowa or in California/New York.
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby panther-state » July 30th, 2011, 11:05 am

dgreenwell3 wrote:It's not just madman day Movalley, I see what they do on a regular basis and it is truly just some insane stuff. I may have been a little biased on the "hardworking" comment but seeing the difference between now and 2007 is like watching Pee-wee football and pro, it's night and day. Have to keep Dave McManus in Terre Haute for a long time.

:huh:
You're telling me that wasn't pee-wee football in '07? Could've fooled me 8-)
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » July 30th, 2011, 12:48 pm

dgreenwell3 wrote:It's not just madman day Movalley, I see what they do on a regular basis and it is truly just some insane stuff. I may have been a little biased on the "hardworking" comment but seeing the difference between now and 2007 is like watching Pee-wee football and pro, it's night and day. Have to keep Dave McManus in Terre Haute for a long time.

I’m sure “Madman” was simply a stunt and not how your team trains. I really hope so at least. If that is what you are witnessing day to day, you are being fooled. I see where they ran ¾ of a mile during that thing. I hope they don’t do that often. Done daily, that is a horrible way to train. Football is an explosive game, not a distance run. Football is won or lost five yards a crack and proper practice should follow suit. Running should be for no more than 20 yards, at a sprint, and repeated over and over and over again for endurance. It is not exciting to watch as a fan, It won’t lead to you thinking that these guys are working really hard, but they are. Proper drills kill these guys! And it’s far more effective than having guys run a mile, run stairs, carry sandbags or flip tractor tires for that matter.
You may be excited to see improvement on your football team, but to jump in on a forum shared by fans of many schools and declare that your team is one of the hardest working programs in the entire NCAA is laughable. I venture to say that there are three NCAA teams in Indiana that work harder than the Sycamores. I’m not knocking your strength coach, he may be very, very good, but he’s not reinventing the wheel in Terra Haute. He only has as much to work with as the ISU budget allows, probably not even close to the middle of the pack in the NCAA.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 13th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I've watched UNI do their normal workouts...and I can tell you ISU's "madmen" bullshit isn't much harder. Yeah, I'm talking the normal off season workouts.

I played football at a D3 school in Iowa for 4 years, and our off season workouts were almost identical to that "madmen" thing....yeah a lowly D3 school.

Those drills do nothing for football, and do little to improve them as players.
Last edited by uniftw on August 15th, 2011, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to College and NFL Football