Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

Postby jlandrus11 » September 28th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I thought Memorial Stadium was bad.
jlandrus11
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » September 28th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Keep in mind you are looking at a photo of the ugliest part of the stadium. The other side is old, but it has character and they have made significant upgrades elsewhere over the years. I've been there it's not that bad of a place to watch a game. The improvements should make it a first class FCS facility.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby panther-state » September 28th, 2011, 4:47 pm

The digital models look pretty good. Next up: Indiana State....
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » September 29th, 2011, 9:08 am

In one of the slides you can start to see the U part of a horshoe begin. My guess is that will be the next step after this one. This will put us at 14,000 seats, but even more if you include standing room. I'm guessing the place will be sold out or close to it for the Ball St. game at home, but the key wil lbe to sustain that type of attendance to merit a look at FBS.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 20th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Article today:

NORMAL — The timeline remains decidedly foggy, but Illinois State president Al Bowman has not wavered from his long-term goal for the Redbird football program.
“The long, long range vision is to play football at that next level,” Bowman said of moving from the Championship Subdivision to Bowl Subdivision. “But we’ve got a lot of ground between now and then.”

Bowman does not expect the considerable nationwide upheaval in conference affiliation to result in ISU leaving the Missouri Valley Conference.
“We’re real happy with the Missouri Valley right now,” said Bowman. “The presidents in the Valley are certainly thinking about what would happen if there were more realignment changes and what schools would make sense to incorporate into the Valley. But I don’t see anything on the immediate horizon.”

Read more: http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colleg ... z1myc0wLLg
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Red » February 21st, 2012, 10:51 am

I'm interested to know how "long term" the plan is. I think upgrading to FBS means we'd be out of the Valley also.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » February 21st, 2012, 12:26 pm

Beat me to the punch on posting about this.

It also looks like we are getting approval to finance the stadium renovation and the plan is to continue to add on to it at some point so that a horseshoe is formed.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think one of the big tests will be what the turnout and buzz will be like when we play Ball St. at home.

Red, I never really thought before of the implications that those types of statements from Bowman have when other members (presidents) of our conference see them. I think a lot of us fans want to see a timetable, but from that perspective, I can understand why we wouldn't want to put a set date on it or give the impression that we are not happy with the MVC by saying this is a goal. And I suppose announcing that we want to move up in football can have the implication that one day we might no longer be a part of the MVC.

Now that conference realigment is hitting the "mid-major" level, I am hoping the possibility will be out there for us to move football only into a FBS conference and keep everything else in the MVC. Sure would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but if we were to move everything into a conference like the MAC, I am sure we will be able to maintain our rivalries with BU and SIU.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 23rd, 2012, 11:54 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Now that conference realigment is hitting the "mid-major" level, I am hoping the possibility will be out there for us to move football only into a FBS conference and keep everything else in the MVC. Sure would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but if we were to move everything into a conference like the MAC, I am sure we will be able to maintain our rivalries with BU and SIU.

If Temple moves out of the MAC as it sounds like I wonder if we would consider expediting things to try and make the jump. If the powers that be aren't looking at it now they are foolish.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 45otseoj » February 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm

We'll all be 'Division II' before it's all said and done anyway. Just enjoy the ride.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to College and NFL Football