Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Postby BirdmanBB » July 28th, 2011, 2:38 pm

http://wjbc.com/bowman-major-football-announcement-in-september/

It sounds like it's going to be about the stadium upgrade we have always wanted. Next stop...FBS.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

Postby panther-state » July 29th, 2011, 12:52 am

BirdmanBB wrote:http://wjbc.com/bowman-major-football-announcement-in-september/

It sounds like it's going to be about the stadium upgrade we have always wanted. Next stop...FBS.

And when did C-USA deliver the envelope? You didn't open it yet did you??? If you opened it you're doomed, by the Football Gods, to have a defense Stephen Hawking could run through...oh...you already had that? Well open away! :Yea!: :bounce: :Yea!:
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » August 1st, 2011, 8:29 am

Actually our old AD was shooting for the CUSA. Had a chat with the new one and he said he wanted to build up some success first and then see what opens up to us, but it is in the plans.

My guess is that it will most likely be the MAC which I am ok with.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » August 1st, 2011, 9:26 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Actually our old AD was shooting for the CUSA. Had a chat with the new one and he said he wanted to build up some success first and then see what opens up to us, but it is in the plans.

My guess is that it will most likely be the MAC which I am ok with.

Good luck with that. I don't know what we gain by going to the MAC.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 45otseoj » August 1st, 2011, 12:00 pm

Red wrote:I don't know what we gain by going to the MAC.

FBS football
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » August 1st, 2011, 12:37 pm

45otseoj wrote:

FBS football

:dance:
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby panther-state » August 1st, 2011, 12:46 pm

45otseoj wrote:

FBS football

:huh:
Shouldn't you prove that you're a consistently successful team in FCS football first? Maybe make the playoffs or something? Just a thought...
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » August 1st, 2011, 1:03 pm

panther-state wrote:
45otseoj wrote:

FBS football

:huh:
Shouldn't you prove that you're a consistently successful team in FCS football first? Maybe make the playoffs or something? Just a thought...

Read post #3.

However, that doesn't matter as much as you might think. Whether you are successful at FCS or not, it doesn't necessarily translate over right away. So regardless you are going to have to keep building your program from the ground up once you make that move.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » August 1st, 2011, 1:20 pm

Is it a foregone conclusion that ISUred will be leaving the Valley if this occurs?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » August 1st, 2011, 2:16 pm

Ali wrote:Is it a foregone conclusion that ISUred will be leaving the Valley if this occurs?

The stadium is one thing and moving to FBS is another. The stadium itself has been an eyesore and in many parts a safety issue for a very long time. In my opinion, ISU has been extremely conservative with how they spend money and it sounds like they want to do the upgrade without making the cost a burdon on the students and community (like SIU's renovation for example....no offense guys). From the interview our president did on the radio it looks like they were able to work out some debt issues that will allow them to borrow without having to do what I mentioned above. Plus they have been able to get some private funding to help offset the costs. We actually turned down a grant from the Army (I think this branch) to help build a new offsite facility that they could use for ceremonies and stuff. We turned it down because they didn't want to move the stadium and were focused on keeping the sports facilities where they are as a central part (look) of the campus.

As for FBS, I mentioned that our previous AD had the CUSA in mind and I think people got their panties in a bunch when he mentioned that he saw ISU as eventually turning into a KSU type school (so people began to dream big 12). If ISU were to move to something like the CUSA, I think we would all be fine with moving all sports, but if we were to go to the MAC, we hope it is for football only for obvious reasons. If it is an all or nothing deal I would also be fine as long as our basketball focus will be to become the Gonzaga or Butler of that conference. Before any of this can happen, ISU will need to be succesful in things like season ticket purchases, reg. ticket sales, fan support (donating) moreso than winning (but comes with it). Basically we need to get the butts in the seats to warrant the change. There are those that love FCS and feel that this won't happen until we start winning in FCS and there are others that believe with an upgraded stadium and a change to FBS, people will come out of the woodwork. Personally, I am a part of the second group as I am not a die hard FCS fan, but will be ready to purchase my season tix when we move to FBS and compete at the highest level possible.

The appeal for the MAC is that it not only makes sense geographically, but we also provide a natural rivalry between us and Northern Illinois.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to College and NFL Football