Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: Major ISU Football Announcement in Sept.

Postby 45otseoj » August 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm

panther-state wrote:
45otseoj wrote:
Red wrote:I don't know what we gain by going to the MAC.

FBS football

:huh:
Shouldn't you prove that you're a consistently successful team in FCS football first? Maybe make the playoffs or something? Just a thought...

I agree with you 100%.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby panther-state » August 1st, 2011, 8:23 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:Actually our old AD was shooting for the CUSA. Had a chat with the new one and he said he wanted to build up some success first and then see what opens up to us, but it is in the plans.

My guess is that it will most likely be the MAC which I am ok with.

2 Things:

1) What is with C-USA looking at mediocre to just plain bad MVFC programs? Are they that desperate? Or do they just prefer to look at teams that don't have strong resume's for success. No personal offense to Missouri St. or even Illinois St. but you arent exactly a prime example of FCS consistency and success. Granted success isn't the only thing that goes into a move like this but why would you want a team in your league when they couldn't prove themselves at the FCS level?

2) Somewhat tying into my other point, what does "build up some success" mean? Does that mean finish in the top-half of the league for several years consistently? Does that mean consistently make the play-offs? Or does that mean win the league title and then say "We're good, lets move onto the next level". Call me crazy but a team that, since 2002 has had only two +.500 seasons against D1 competition, and last year averaged ~7000 fans/home game needs to prove a lot more about themselves before any kind of jump to the FBS (even the MAC) should be considered realistic. And I've driven past that stadium several times on my visits to IWU in Bloomington and that facility is less than impressive, even for an FCS level stadium. You'll need to address those issues as well before any type of move takes place (I believe some posters have also addressed this)

Excuse me for being less than skeptical about Missouri St. and Illinois St. making any jumps to the FBS whether its just in football or all sports. I just don't see how they are attractive options at this time. In 5-10 years and they've vastly improved and are filling the stands then I could...but not before then
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 45otseoj » August 1st, 2011, 11:29 pm

panther-state wrote:Excuse me for being less than skeptical about Missouri St. and Illinois St. making any jumps to the FBS whether its just in football or all sports. I just don't see how they are attractive options at this time. In 5-10 years and they've vastly improved and are filling the stands then I could...but not before then

Bingo.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » August 2nd, 2011, 7:42 am

45otseoj wrote:
panther-state wrote:Excuse me for being less than skeptical about Missouri St. and Illinois St. making any jumps to the FBS whether its just in football or all sports. I just don't see how they are attractive options at this time. In 5-10 years and they've vastly improved and are filling the stands then I could...but not before then

Bingo.

Agreed too. I think I mentioned in the basketball thread of a similar topic that in my opinion we are at least 3 years out from anything like that. Heck, it might take us 3 years to get the stadium to where we want it alone. The first step is getting this stadium done while building up some success. I don't necessarily think success will be defined as having to win the FCS championship a couple times to make that move. I think winning the conference and making some good playoff runs will suffice. I think it is more about getting butts in the seats and increasing season ticket purchases. The most important thing to the school is a commitment from the fans. They need a reason to upgrade the stadium and move to FBS. Right now the reason for upgrading the stadium is simply because it is outdated, an eyesore and a potential safety hazard in many cases. What you said about driving by the stadium hits the nail on the head. The school views our stadium as a gateway to the University and it just doesn't make for a good presentation currently.

There are many different factors why a FBS conference would look at an FCS school. Look at the WAC for example. They are reloading their conference with FCS schools simply to survive. Anyways, for ISU I know the future plan for the school has always been to expand. ISU ownes a ton of land around the campus that is just sitting there, which is a future investment. Compare that to a FBS conference wanting a school like ISU. Yes we may not be good from the get go (usually no converted team is), however, it can be looked at as an investment. Both ISU and MSU are state schools that have the potential to become much bigger than what they are. At some point your enrollment mightbecome so large that it would be embarrassing not to have an FBS football team. The next thing to look at is cost. I believe I mentioned this before, but geographically ISU would be a good fit for the MAC. It would provide a good rivalry for Northern Illinois and a short drive for a road game (which they admittedly want us for). Sometimes it is as simple as FBS is the direction that our school president wants to take our program. The president of our school has in fact said it was a goal of his to take our football program to FBS. In fact, every hire that has been made points in that direction. So it is not really a matter of if at this point, it is a matter of when.

It is our hope that the stadium will sort of get the ball rolling in that respect. We already have the right people in place to make the move. We need the right stadium that will start attracting fans and the type of recruits that will allow us to make a move. Of course if another shift happens, we may have to do this faster than we want to otherwise we could miss our chance for a long time (if the NCAA holds off again).
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby panther-state » August 3rd, 2011, 12:16 am

BirdmanBB wrote:
45otseoj wrote:

Bingo.

Agreed too. I think I mentioned in the basketball thread of a similar topic that in my opinion we are at least 3 years out from anything like that. Heck, it might take us 3 years to get the stadium to where we want it alone. The first step is getting this stadium done while building up some success. I don't necessarily think success will be defined as having to win the FCS championship a couple times to make that move. I think winning the conference and making some good playoff runs will suffice. I think it is more about getting butts in the seats and increasing season ticket purchases. The most important thing to the school is a commitment from the fans. They need a reason to upgrade the stadium and move to FBS. Right now the reason for upgrading the stadium is simply because it is outdated, an eyesore and a potential safety hazard in many cases. What you said about driving by the stadium hits the nail on the head. The school views our stadium as a gateway to the University and it just doesn't make for a good presentation currently.

There are many different factors why a FBS conference would look at an FCS school. Look at the WAC for example. They are reloading their conference with FCS schools simply to survive. Anyways, for ISU I know the future plan for the school has always been to expand. ISU ownes a ton of land around the campus that is just sitting there, which is a future investment. Compare that to a FBS conference wanting a school like ISU. Yes we may not be good from the get go (usually no converted team is), however, it can be looked at as an investment. Both ISU and MSU are state schools that have the potential to become much bigger than what they are. At some point your enrollment mightbecome so large that it would be embarrassing not to have an FBS football team. The next thing to look at is cost. I believe I mentioned this before, but geographically ISU would be a good fit for the MAC. It would provide a good rivalry for Northern Illinois and a short drive for a road game (which they admittedly want us for). Sometimes it is as simple as FBS is the direction that our school president wants to take our program. The president of our school has in fact said it was a goal of his to take our football program to FBS. In fact, every hire that has been made points in that direction. So it is not really a matter of if at this point, it is a matter of when.

It is our hope that the stadium will sort of get the ball rolling in that respect. We already have the right people in place to make the move. We need the right stadium that will start attracting fans and the type of recruits that will allow us to make a move. Of course if another shift happens, we may have to do this faster than we want to otherwise we could miss our chance for a long time (if the NCAA holds off again).

Awesome. Glad the Redbird posters are being rationale about this and understand the situation better than I initially read into
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » September 27th, 2011, 2:32 pm

East side bleachers coming down and erecting a grandstand. $20mil project. Should be ready in time for us to host ball st. In 2013.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » September 27th, 2011, 3:17 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:East side bleachers coming down and erecting a grandstand. $20mil project. Should be ready in time for us to host ball st. In 2013.

That's great! What will the new capacity be?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » September 27th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Is the East side the bigger side or the smaller side? Got any drawings of proposed stadium?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » September 27th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Last picture is what it looks like right now on the east side.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to College and NFL Football