Football discussions?

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: Football discussions?

Postby MoValley John » October 21st, 2010, 12:17 pm

IsuBob wrote:John, I posted the link?????

That is the point, I'm not linking away. I have eight tabs open, five for business and one of them happens to be mvcfans. If I hit your link, I'm gone. Is it so hard for you to tell us what Indiana State is ranked? Based on your pride and braggadocio, I'd say you guys are 15-18, correct? I doubt two losses would be top 10, even in 1-AA. Did you guys just get into the top 25, 22nd-24th?

I really don't want to get into a pissing match over football. Really I don't, but please, just tell us where the mighty Sycamores are ranked. And since you want to talk Valley football, tell us why Illinois State sucks. It seems like they were a favorite going in, what happened?
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » October 21st, 2010, 12:19 pm

UNI had a very very young team this year, and had a terribly difficult early season schedule. I am not at all surprised to see us at 3-3. And I think most UNI fans projected this season to be somewhat of a rebuilding year, still with a chance to be a playoff contender. We do have a team that is capable of winning from here on out with the remaining schedule we have though, which is probably necessary to make the playoffs this season.

The turnaround WIU has made has been pretty remarkable, though they have not yet faced the 'meat' of their schedule. We'll see how they turn out after they face some of the better teams in the conf. Its also nice to see In St start to win a few games. You couldn't be any lower than they were as a program, and that is incredibly hard to overcome, but they seem to be headed in the right direction with their new staff.

All and all, it is a very down year for the MVFC. Lots of young teams, and injuries have made it a pretty mediocre league at this moment. Every week has been crazy, and it has left the standings a mess.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 21st, 2010, 12:49 pm

MoValley John wrote:Thank you for the info. I still don't see where Indiana State is ranked, however. Are they Top 15? And no, directing a casual fan to look something up IS asking too much.

Things that draw questions:
1. Western Illinois? How do any self respecting Valley fans allow Wetsern Illinois to be leading the league? C'mon, I know this is a hybrid league, but a school that is Valley in every Valley sport should be winning this thing!
2. UNI has lost three games? Wow! I was under the impression that they were a 1-AA football mill. That may explain the lack of activity on the football board. The UNI bandwagon hasn't completely derailed, but in football, the train came off the tracks.
3. Southern Illinois at 3-4? WTF? All I ever heard about was the epic SIU- UNI football battles. You guys were supposed to be the balls. What happened?
4. Illinois State underachieving? Different sport, same result.

Good (and fair) questions!

1. The Leathernecks used to be a football power in the Gateway, but have fallen on hard times in recent years. I questioned the schools removal of their former coach, but it seems to have provided a spark to this team.

2. UNI is okay. Nobody expected this to be an outstanding year for the Panthers. Too many questions about the line and a quarterback controversy as well. We beat the teams we were supposed to beat, and lost to the teams we were supposed to lose to. As for the activity, there was never really that much serious football talk on Valleytalk. Whenever anyone tried, the discussion was quickly derailed. Hopefully it will pick up here, but certainly this is a basketball-centered forum.

3. I don't really know what the deal is with the Salukis this year. As for the UNI/SIU game, I don't know if it was an "epic" battle, but the game did go to overtime this year (with SIU winning for the 3rd straight time).

4. No comment, the Rebirds come to the UNI-Dome this Saturday and I don't want to jinx it.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby IsuBob » October 21st, 2010, 1:15 pm

MoValley John wrote:

That is the point, I'm not linking away. I have eight tabs open, five for business and one of them happens to be mvcfans. If I hit your link, I'm gone. Is it so hard for you to tell us what Indiana State is ranked? Based on your pride and braggadocio, I'd say you guys are 15-18, correct? I doubt two losses would be top 10, even in 1-AA. Did you guys just get into the top 25, 22nd-24th?

I really don't want to get into a pissing match over football. Really I don't, but please, just tell us where the mighty Sycamores are ranked. And since you want to talk Valley football, tell us why Illinois State sucks. It seems like they were a favorite going in, what happened?

We are ranked 25th, and the Valley is the 2nd best conference in the nation with 5 teams in the top 25.
IsuBob
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby IsuBob » October 21st, 2010, 1:18 pm

MoValley John wrote:

I was suprised how IllState has been playing. I cannot give you any clues as to what has happened to them, with the exception of pass defense. Fouch had quite a day with their secondary.
IsuBob
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby JayJ79 » October 21st, 2010, 1:48 pm

MoValley John wrote:That is the point, I'm not linking away. I have eight tabs open, five for business and one of them happens to be mvcfans. If I hit your link, I'm gone. Is it so hard for you to tell us what Indiana State is ranked? Based on your pride and braggadocio, I'd say you guys are 15-18, correct? I doubt two losses would be top 10, even in 1-AA. Did you guys just get into the top 25, 22nd-24th?

Polls are a joke, especially at the FCS level, and especially this year when many of the conferences have unusually close conference races, and the year is full of unexpected results. There are fewer dominant teams, and fewer total doormat teams. And many of the teams that were predicted during the preseason to be dominant didn't look all that hot in the first half of the season. So the polls are basically still a clusterfrak.

Thankfully, the FCS is a true NCAA championship sport, where things are decided on the field rather than relying so heavily on polls and computer rankings.

IsuBob, it's really not worth letting yourself get worked up over anything that MoValley John say, as he admits that he doesn't really know anything about the FCS. It's like people getting worked up if I said something about basketball, which I don't give a rat's behind about for the most part.
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby IsuBob » October 21st, 2010, 2:18 pm

JayJ79 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:That is the point, I'm not linking away. I have eight tabs open, five for business and one of them happens to be mvcfans. If I hit your link, I'm gone. Is it so hard for you to tell us what Indiana State is ranked? Based on your pride and braggadocio, I'd say you guys are 15-18, correct? I doubt two losses would be top 10, even in 1-AA. Did you guys just get into the top 25, 22nd-24th?

Polls are a joke, especially at the FCS level, and especially this year when many of the conferences have unusually close conference races, and the year is full of unexpected results. There are fewer dominant teams, and fewer total doormat teams. And many of the teams that were predicted during the preseason to be dominant didn't look all that hot in the first half of the season. So the polls are basically still a clusterfrak.

Thankfully, the FCS is a true NCAA championship sport, where things are decided on the field rather than relying so heavily on polls and computer rankings.

IsuBob, it's really not worth letting yourself get worked up over anything that MoValley John say, as he admits that he doesn't really know anything about the FCS. It's like people getting worked up if I said something about basketball, which I don't give a rat's behind about for the most part.

I'm not worked up, he just started this tread to talk MVC football.
IsuBob
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MoValley John » October 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm

IsuBob wrote:I'm not worked up, he just started this tread to talk MVC football.

And there is finally some football talk being discussed. It's only taken six weeks!
Now I know that:
UNI fans think their team is young. They are looking toward next year.
SIU isn't living up to expectations.
Illinois State is a football underachiever.
Some craphole, not regular Valley member is winning the league.
Indiana State fans suddenly think they're the cat's ass in football.
(I learned that expression from an Oklahoma State fan that grew up in Jett, OK. I guess being the cat's ass is a good thing.)
You learn new things every day.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby JayJ79 » October 21st, 2010, 2:41 pm

The MVC and the MVFC are two separate conferences.
WIU is as much a part of the MVFC as Wichita State or Creighton are parts of the MVC.
JayJ79
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » October 21st, 2010, 3:10 pm

JayJ79 wrote:The MVC and the MVFC are two separate conferences.
WIU is as much a part of the MVFC as Wichita State or Creighton are parts of the MVC.

That line is getting awfully gray. They share offices and some staff. They also used to call it the Gateway Conference, why the name change? I guess because the conference itself wants to muddy it up.

As for Western Illinois, you stated earlier in this thread, "It's like people getting worked up if I said something about basketball, which I don't give a rat's behind about for the most part." Based on that, you don't care about Valley basketball. Well I don't care about Valley football, but since Valley basketball schools are playing Valley football, I'd simply prefer those Valley basketball schools to beat the non-Valley basketball schools in football. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I'd prefer that Indiana State kick Western Illinois' and North Dakota State's asses in football. I just would.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to College and NFL Football