ISU, MVFC and the future of I-AA football

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Postby isumvc1 » April 21st, 2013, 9:20 am

good, thorough article by the ISU writer Todd Golden in today's TH paper. Even Indiana State was approached by the Sunbelt conference to move up to I-A.

http://tribstar.com/sports/x1520509571/ ... ball-level
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ISU, MVFC and the future of I-AA football

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » April 21st, 2013, 9:36 am

Interesting. Thanks for that info by the way. It seems that Karl Benson is inquiring with every single FCS school that has a pulse. I have to be frank and say that Indiana State would be the fifth FBS team in a state that produces very few D1 football players. I struggle to see the growth potential there for ISUBlue. Could happen but would take big time effort on everybody's part.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » April 21st, 2013, 10:03 am

Really good article. Certainly makes it seem like the move up from FCS to low level FBS is a losing proposition. I know a lot of others will dispute that, but it's interesting that MVFC teams are being considered.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby isumvc1 » April 21st, 2013, 11:42 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Interesting. Thanks for that info by the way. It seems that Karl Benson is inquiring with every single FCS school that has a pulse. I have to be frank and say that Indiana State would be the fifth FBS team in a state that produces very few D1 football players. I struggle to see the growth potential there for ISUBlue. Could happen but would take big time effort on everybody's part.

Casey, you're right, there isn't much D-I football talent produced in Indiana. That is another reason why you'll probably never see the Sycamores play I-A football.

But Golden is right, sometime soon there is going to be a split again in college football, and only the top 5 BCS conferences will be able to play for the national title. There will be 3 tiers of college FB, the BCS 5, then the others (MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, etc....) and the current I-AA teams.

The teams moving up NOW are the teams trying to avoid getting left behind in tier 3, which is going to happen to the MVFC schools who do not move soon.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » April 21st, 2013, 11:45 am

and one other thing, if an MVC school from the MVFC chooses to move to I-A football it should not affect their status in the MVC. So if UNI, MSU, ILS, SIU, INS want to move up, their other sports remain in the MVC. The MVFC has nothing to do with the MVC remember

now if MSU, for example, wanted to move FB to the Sunbelt and the Sunbelt wanted them to move all their sports, well then that's a diff. story.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » April 21st, 2013, 3:30 pm

isumvc1 wrote:now if MSU, for example, wanted to move FB to the Sunbelt and the Sunbelt wanted them to move all their sports, well then that's a diff. story.

That scenario would be a tough one. I'm a football first guy but being in the Sun Belt for other sports, particularly basketball would be tough to stomach. I've always desired CUSA, but even that conference's membership is becoming less than stellar. This wave of realignment has really stunk out loud.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby IllinoisState » April 21st, 2013, 5:14 pm

I actually think that as long as they could stay in the MVC for all other sports, that ISUb, ISUr, UNI, MSU, and SIU would be better off moving up to the FBS in the long run.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » April 22nd, 2013, 5:20 am

IllinoisState wrote:I actually think that as long as they could stay in the MVC for all other sports, that ISUb, ISUr, UNI, MSU, and SIU would be better off moving up to the FBS in the long run.

it'd be nice if the entire MVFC could move up to I-A as a conference, but remember, each school must be individually asked to move up to join a I-A conference.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » April 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am

isumvc1 wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:I actually think that as long as they could stay in the MVC for all other sports, that ISUb, ISUr, UNI, MSU, and SIU would be better off moving up to the FBS in the long run.

it'd be nice if the entire MVFC could move up to I-A as a conference, but remember, each school must be individually asked to move up to join a I-A conference.

If they wanted to go this route, the only opportunity would have been the WAC when they were down to 3 teams and technically still a football conference. Glad they didn't do it, but I think that would have been an option if these 5 wanted to elevate football together.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby IllinoisState » April 22nd, 2013, 9:53 am

isumvc1 wrote:

I have read that while NDSU wants to move up, they want to be financially ready at the time and they don't think they they are at that point.

I also haven't heard anything about SDSU, YSU, USD, or WIU (although that doesn't mean there isn't anything out there).
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to College and NFL Football