MVFC Prediction Time

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: MVFC Prediction Time

Postby uniftw » August 1st, 2014, 2:08 pm

ISU is dog crap.

The only way they beat NDSU is the new QB not being ready.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » September 21st, 2014, 5:01 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I think it is a legitimate possibility. I know picking anybody besides NDSU is really considered edgy stuff but I just have a gut feeling the Bizon won't do it this year.

And I think the Bears could make the playoffs and still get rid of Terry Allen if he retires. That would be best case scenario for all parties.

Its not the fact you didn't pick the Bison to get first that reaffirms your looney-ness to us, including your own MSU brethren. Its the fact that you believe that, against all odds and common sense, this is the year that Terry Allen decides, "Well sure, why don't we try winning?" As if this whole time he were just playing a practical joke on the entire conference for the past 8 years.

The times...they ain't a changin' boy

Don't look now but with MSU at 3-1 maybe Casey's prediction isn't so looney after all. Only loss has been to OK State and we kept that one surprisingly respectable. Lots of football left but MSU looks like a good team right now.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm

glm38 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I think it is a legitimate possibility. I know picking anybody besides NDSU is really considered edgy stuff but I just have a gut feeling the Bizon won't do it this year.

And I think the Bears could make the playoffs and still get rid of Terry Allen if he retires. That would be best case scenario for all parties.

Its not the fact you didn't pick the Bison to get first that reaffirms your looney-ness to us, including your own MSU brethren. Its the fact that you believe that, against all odds and common sense, this is the year that Terry Allen decides, "Well sure, why don't we try winning?" As if this whole time he were just playing a practical joke on the entire conference for the past 8 years.

The times...they ain't a changin' boy

Don't look now but with MSU at 3-1 maybe Casey's prediction isn't so looney after all. Only loss has been to OK State and we kept that one surprisingly respectable. Lots of football left but MSU looks like a good team right now.

And yet the MVFC has 6 teams in the top 25, one of which is not MSU. I didn't say the Bears wouldn't be last or would be a terrible team, I simply implied that Terry Allen isn't very likely to make the playoffs. I'm glad they are doing well, the entire conference is 20-1 against FCS teams which is incredible, but that just means the hill is a lot steeper to climb for everyone now that we have to face each other rather than inferior FCS teams. MSU has a much steeper hill than most because they play all 6 MVFC teams that are currently ranked, 3 of them to close out the year. That's rough.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 21st, 2014, 5:53 pm

When you parody Terry Allen "Why don't we try winning" I think the implication is that his team will be terrible? Which is a reasonable prediction given how bad we've been the last few years so no hard feelings there.

But at this point we DO look like a good team. But there are a lot of games left to play and I agree we have a rough road ahead. But for now things feel completely different than the last decade or so.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » September 21st, 2014, 9:18 pm

glm38 wrote:But at this point we DO look like a good team. But there are a lot of games left to play and I agree we have a rough road ahead. But for now things feel completely different than the last decade or so.

Strong starts have not been a trademark of the Bears in recent years, you're absolutely right. But Allen has led them to 3-1 starts in 2 other seasons while a MSU (2007, 2009). Both of those seasons the Bears finished 6-5 and tied for 5th in the league. My point here is that a good start by the Bears is a good thing for MSU and for the MVFC, but my skepticism is well founded. Every bit as well founded as your optimism is.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:06 pm

Bears are now ranked 19th. First time we've been ranked in a looong time.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » September 22nd, 2014, 4:42 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
glm38 wrote:But at this point we DO look like a good team. But there are a lot of games left to play and I agree we have a rough road ahead. But for now things feel completely different than the last decade or so.

Strong starts have not been a trademark of the Bears in recent years, you're absolutely right. But Allen has led them to 3-1 starts in 2 other seasons while a MSU (2007, 2009). Both of those seasons the Bears finished 6-5 and tied for 5th in the league. My point here is that a good start by the Bears is a good thing for MSU and for the MVFC, but my skepticism is well founded. Every bit as well founded as your optimism is.

Allen has only lead MSU to a 3-1 start once and that was in 2007. In 2009 we started 2-2, or 3-2, however you want to look at it. In 2007, that was with a D2 on the schedule.

So, yes, as remarkable as it sounds, Terry Allen has done something this year he's never done at MSU. We are also 7-2 in our last 9 games and played 5 loses within a touchdown last year. I can't explain it, no one can. But he has something figured out. Even as a lame duck coach.

For the record, the Bears are now 19th in the AnyGivenSaturday Poll or 24th in the FCS Coaches Poll. It's been 18 long years so hopefully it isn't short lived.

With all that said, I refuse to think about the "P" word unless we have 6 wins before November. I still believe he should've been fired after finishing 2-9 in 2011.

It's got to be "playoffs or bust" for him this year. Del Miller and Randy Ball had more success at MSU than Allen and had much shorter tenures.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » October 12th, 2014, 8:09 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:

Well you had it right after all. 2 straight losses for the Bears. The stadium upgrades are great but our product on the field is still subpar.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PapaBear » December 8th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Clearly the MVC was the FCS football conference in the country again this year--5 teams in the sweet 16--unfortunately the top 4 met head to head--so only NDSU and ISU (red) are left in the elite 8. Previous predictions on this thread were off--but the quality of teams was strong WIU who finished near the bottom nearly beat the top 2 teams on their home field.

Hoping NDSU and Illinois State can keep the Valley alive to the finals--and both of those team have a lot of returning talent and had very good recruiting classes--so the Valley will get better :bounce:
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby valleyclimber » December 12th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Would be pretty amazing to see 2 MVFC teams facing off for a national championship. LOVE IT! :Cheers:
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to College and NFL Football