MSU/Petrino

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: MSU/Petrino

Postby BEARZ77 » January 19th, 2022, 3:40 pm

If anybody doesn't think that successful collegiate athletic programs aren't all about the coach, then consider MSU. I mean we were probably the worst FCS program a couple years under Steckle, and a .500 program at best under a myriad of other coaches over 3 decades. We heard and offered every excuse possible, facilities, playing in the FCS version of the SEC, not a football school, not an area that supports football, no winning culture etc etc. While polls are meaningless, today we were picked as the #5 school nationally with a chance to win a FCS natty next year, behind NDSU,SDSU, and the 2 Montana schools. Again meaningless, but still .......

My gosh, Bobby effing Petrino. :bow:
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Salukimadness86 » January 19th, 2022, 9:47 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:If anybody doesn't think that successful collegiate athletic programs aren't all about the coach, then consider MSU. I mean we were probably the worst FCS program a couple years under Steckle, and a .500 program at best under a myriad of other coaches over 3 decades. We heard and offered every excuse possible, facilities, playing in the FCS version of the SEC, not a football school, not an area that supports football, no winning culture etc etc. While polls are meaningless, today we were picked as the #5 school nationally with a chance to win a FCS natty next year, behind NDSU,SDSU, and the 2 Montana schools. Again meaningless, but still .......

My gosh, Bobby effing Petrino. :bow:

Think ya gotta win a playoff game first, and perhaps the MVFC.
After that, win 8-9 National Championships and move onto the Big 12. :dance:
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 20th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Hey I didn't write the articles or make the predictions; all outside neutral sources. But I get that it's gotta be a slap in the face to have another Valley program that was once a doormat leap frog over you in the national awareness and MVC Football pecking order in just 2 short seasons .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » January 20th, 2022, 8:30 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Hey I didn't write the articles or make the predictions; all outside neutral sources. But I get that it's gotta be a slap in the face to have another Valley program that was once a doormat leap frog over you in the national awareness and MVC Football pecking order in just 2 short seasons .

Who did Missouri State play in the playoffs this season?
I know Southern Illinois beat South Dakota then lost to FCS Champ North Dakota State.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Salukimadness86 » January 20th, 2022, 10:23 pm

Birdfan2018 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Hey I didn't write the articles or make the predictions; all outside neutral sources. But I get that it's gotta be a slap in the face to have another Valley program that was once a doormat leap frog over you in the national awareness and MVC Football pecking order in just 2 short seasons .

I know Southern Illinois beat South Dakota then lost to FCS Champ North Dakota State.

No mention of the first round home loss to the Martin's of Tennessee. ☺

I'm sure there are millions of Americans that know of the national football powerhouse SW Mizzou state. :roll: I bet Bobby is building the program the correct way.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 21st, 2022, 12:01 pm

Salukimadness86 wrote:
Birdfan2018 wrote:

No mention of the first round home loss to the Martin's of Tennessee. ☺

I'm sure there are millions of Americans that know of the national football powerhouse SW Mizzou state. :roll: I bet Bobby is building the program the correct way.

Yea by what standards did you leapfrog SIU???
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 21st, 2022, 10:33 pm

Kyle_Saluki_17 wrote:

Again, i didn't write either article that picked the Bears 5th/6th most likely to win the FCS natty. A SIU poster got all snarky , and so I just pointed out that we've beat ya both years under Bobby and are getting more national notice . As far as the inference about how he's doing it, you'll find while he had personal issues , he has never had any NCAA violations/sanctions . He just beats ya.

But i was wondering anyway, isn't the football program moving to the main SIU campus in Edwardsville :huh:
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » January 22nd, 2022, 10:43 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
But i was wondering anyway, isn't the football program moving to the main SIU campus in Edwardsville :huh:

That line is about as intelligent as your ability to attach the right quote to the right person.
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 22nd, 2022, 12:17 pm

Bears and Petrino continue to build roster with 3 recent FBS transfers. Most curious is 6'5 QB Jacob Clark from U of Minnesota , a consensus 3*** out of HS. Others include DB Dillon Thomas from Northern Illinois, and WR Jordan Jones from U of Ark.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby OfficerPhil » January 23rd, 2022, 10:51 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Bears and Petrino continue to build roster with 3 recent FBS transfers. Most curious is 6'5 QB Jacob Clark from U of Minnesota , a consensus 3*** out of HS. Others include DB Dillon Thomas from Northern Illinois, and WR Jordan Jones from U of Ark.

This. Rivals had Clark as a 4-star and 247 a high 3-star. I'm curious about what led him to MO State but I won't argue with the end result. We should be set at QB for the next several years. #BearUp
OfficerPhil
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to College and NFL Football