Murray State

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Re: Murray State

Postby BEARZ77 » April 7th, 2022, 11:30 am

unipanther99 wrote:Bear week used to mean something at UNI. But then the series got lop-sided. We've battled for championships with WIU, SIU and Illinois State. Nobody under 70 remembers the old D-2 days from the 1960's and 70's.

If there is are two six-team divisions, the dividing line will be the Mississippi River. This isn't a North/South conference.

I get ya, but if Missouri State isn't in the same pod/division as SIU and Murray St, then it makes zero sense for us as well. Also, perhaps "Bear Week, ought to mean something , at least until you actually beat Petrino a few times. :roll:
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » April 7th, 2022, 11:45 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I get ya, but if Missouri State isn't in the same pod/division as SIU and Murray St, then it makes zero sense for us as well. Also, perhaps "Bear Week, ought to mean something , at least until you actually beat Petrino a few times. :roll:

The series is 35-7 with six shutouts for UNI. Congrats on winning the last two, but we had the previous 14 in a row. We're 16-4 on your field.

In my opinion, UNI/SIU is the best MVFC rivalry over the history of the conference, and is worth saving.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BEARZ77 » April 7th, 2022, 12:05 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I get ya, but if Missouri State isn't in the same pod/division as SIU and Murray St, then it makes zero sense for us as well. Also, perhaps "Bear Week, ought to mean something , at least until you actually beat Petrino a few times. :roll:

The series is 35-7 with six shutouts for UNI. Congrats on winning the last two, but we had the previous 14 in a row. We're 16-4 on your field.

In my opinion, UNI/SIU is the best MVFC rivalry over the history of the conference, and is worth saving.

My my, we get threatened easily don't we. I could care less what happened more than 2-3 years ago in any sport, because it doesn't impact what happens this year. Right now we're ascending and it could change tomorrow, but the best argument in sports is always the last game , or in this case , last 2 . :Cheers:
And that SIU rivalry means little if you can't beat the Dakota's ; that's what this is about.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » April 7th, 2022, 12:50 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:[quote="unipanther99"

My my, we get threatened easily don't we. I could care less what happened more than 2-3 years ago in any sport, because it doesn't impact what happens this year. Right now we're ascending and it could change tomorrow, but the best argument in sports is always the last game , or in this case , last 2 . :Cheers:
And that SIU rivalry means little if you can't beat the Dakota's ; that's what this is about.[/quote]
History only matters when it benefits my team. Currently it doesn't, so "I don't care about that."
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » April 7th, 2022, 1:01 pm

Right. Lump UNI with the Dakotas because they played each other when helmets were leather, but games more that two years old are "ancient history."

Clearly two divisions will not work and should not be implemented for multiple reasons.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BEARZ77 » April 7th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Make it what you want; I just threw out a pod suggestion. Sorry it was so ....... whatever.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Herd » April 11th, 2022, 6:29 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Two six team conferences:
SDSU
NDSU
ND
SD
UNI
YSU

MSU
SIU
Murray St
ISUb
ISUr
WIU

But the smarter thing is drop Western and Youngstown and stay a 10 team league.

Good lord this is beyond evil to suggest for UNI. Zero traditional rivals and one bus ride? Come on man, you're killing us.

Didn't think any UNI posters would like that arrangement, but it's all the most northern schools and I can't help that UNI is one of them. Plus it is more your "traditional rivals", than any of the rest of the MVC; I don't think any one else has been in a conference with those schools previously. But really the most sense is jettison WIU and YSU . Probably none of which will happen , however.

Uni’s record in the last 10 years in conference games?

Vs fellow MVC schools in the MVFC: 22-11 0.667%
Vs ND/SD schools in the MVFC: 13-19 0.406%

Kinda says it all, doesn’t it?
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Herd » April 11th, 2022, 6:50 am

unipanther99 wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:Two six team conferences:
SDSU
NDSU
ND
SD
UNI
YSU

MSU
SIU
Murray St
ISUb
ISUr
WIU

But the smarter thing is drop Western and Youngstown and stay a 10 team league.

Good lord this is beyond evil to suggest for UNI. Zero traditional rivals and one bus ride? Come on man, you're killing us.

Your bus must only go south. Your mileage would be pretty equal if UNI played nd/sd teams vs playing Mo state, isur, isub, SIU, Murray. If you throw out YsU and Western. Pretty much a wash for mileage. Murray Ky an ugly trip even compared to Grand Fork. Your travel not worse at all going north, an easy interstate driving.

Travel being more going north for UNI, clearly a fallacy. Winning on the other hand . . .
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby unipanther99 » April 11th, 2022, 7:52 am

Herd wrote:
Your bus must only go south. Your mileage would be pretty equal if UNI played nd/sd teams vs playing Mo state, isur, isub, SIU, Murray. If you throw out YsU and Western. Pretty much a wash for mileage. Murray Ky an ugly trip even compared to Grand Fork. Your travel not worse at all going north, an easy interstate driving.

Travel being more going north for UNI, clearly a fallacy. Winning on the other hand . . .

If it's over a certain amount, it doesn't matter because it becomes a plane trip, not a bus trip. Any grouping of schools should seek to make travel expenses as equitable as possible, especially for those core schools who aren't on the geographical fringes of the conference. And as much as possible work to protect some of the longer-term MVFC/Gateway rivalries.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Herd » April 12th, 2022, 10:51 am

I’m not sure what your point was, yes I understand bus vs plane.

My point, uni’s travel costs are not higher if they play more northern teams vs southern teams. They are really right in the middle and have no benefit either way. Youngstown the exception, as it is for everyone.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to College and NFL Football