Nebraska-Omaha to MVFC?

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Nebraska-Omaha to MVFC?

Postby ihsi » March 8th, 2011, 8:50 am

Reported this weekend that Nebraska-Omaha AD is looking into bringing the school into D-1 for all sports other than football. They would join the Summit league for hoops, etc and possibly the Missouri Valley Football Conference.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Nebraska-Omaha to MVFC?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nebraska-Omaha to MVFC?

Postby unipanther99 » March 8th, 2011, 9:25 am

ihsi wrote:Reported this weekend that Nebraska-Omaha AD is looking into bringing the school into D-1 for all sports other than football. They would join the Summit league for hoops, etc and possibly the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Why would the MVFC add a non-D-1 member?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ihsi » March 8th, 2011, 9:55 am

unipanther99 wrote:
ihsi wrote:Reported this weekend that Nebraska-Omaha AD is looking into bringing the school into D-1 for all sports other than football. They would join the Summit league for hoops, etc and possibly the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Why would the MVFC add a non-D-1 member?

My bad. I don't think of FCS football as D-1 to be honest. Nebraska-Omaha would be D1, FCS level. Or as some people still call it - 1-AA.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby dgreenwell3 » March 8th, 2011, 7:34 pm

I doubt this happens, why would the MVFC add a team that in all honesty doesnt add competitiveness immediately?
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby uniftw » March 10th, 2011, 3:41 pm

dgreenwell3 wrote:I doubt this happens, why would the MVFC add a team that in all honesty doesnt add competitiveness immediately?

Because we have already added USD, who despite their win over Minnesota last year, is a bad team.

We have teams like Indiana State - yes last season was nice for you but that doesn't change the fact you were sub .500 against teams in Division 1...I don't care about your wins over bad/average NAIA and D2 schools

We have teams like Missouri State that tend to build up hype and then fall flat on their face every year

Teams like NDSU, who outside of the luck of the expanded playoff field and a good playoff draw hasn't done crap since moving to the MVFC.

Really outside of UNI, and SIU the last 5 or 6 years prior to this past season, no other MVFC program is worth two squirts every year. The 2009 season was an epic fail for UNI and we still finished 3rd.

The move also opens up the Omaha area to the MVFC. We already have it in all the other sports, why not football? I'd rather see NWMOST if we look for a D2 team to move up, but they don't add a market really to the MVFC and it doesn't seem like they have any interest in the move.

Also with the outside shot on YSU leaving for the FBS or CAA (a pretty hot rumor online) and MSU and ISUR seemingly in the discussion for an FBS move all the time it wouldn't be a bad idea. That doesn't mean I like the idea, but I can understand it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to College and NFL Football