Preview of 2011 season

A place to discuss MVFC, college and NFL football

Preview of 2011 season

Postby dgreenwell3 » March 15th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Well what do you think is gonna happen folks?
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Preview of 2011 season

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Preview of 2011 season

Postby 45otseoj » March 23rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

Illinois State has a new DC and is putting in a 3-4.
The offense will score a bunch of points as Matt Brown continues his record setting career.
If the defense is improved at all the Redbirds will be a playoff team.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » July 10th, 2011, 2:19 pm

1. UNI 2.SIU 3. NDSU 4. SDSU 5. ISU red 6. MSU 7. wiu 8. Il state blue 9. YSU

UNI will win one at home against Salukis. I don't think that they can screw things up after that.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 11th, 2011, 8:50 pm

I would say UNI #1 AND SIUC and NDSU in the next sphere jockeying together for #2 and maybe the top spot if the Panthers falter. It is an interesting race, I cannot think of a year that would shape up with this much parity in either the Gateway/MVFC. From #3-#9 very little would surprise me. With my marron glassess on, I can see Missouri State being really, really good but I wonder if the games in Eugene and Fayettenam will demoralize the boys. This is a vitally important season for football as we try to see what kind of athletics institution that we want to be, but back on point, nothing would surprise me in the MVFC. Indiana State is my sleeper team for sure.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » July 12th, 2011, 6:48 pm

I was hoping ILS would stick with that "cover who" defense they implemented last year at Indiana State, bummer!

45otseoj wrote:Illinois State has a new DC and is putting in a 3-4.
The offense will score a bunch of points as Matt Brown continues his record setting career.
If the defense is improved at all the Redbirds will be a playoff team.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby panther-state » July 12th, 2011, 9:07 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I would say UNI #1 AND SIUC and NDSU in the next sphere jockeying together for #2 and maybe the top spot if the Panthers falter. It is an interesting race, I cannot think of a year that would shape up with this much parity in either the Gateway/MVFC. From #3-#9 very little would surprise me. With my marron glassess on, I can see Missouri State being really, really good but I wonder if the games in Eugene and Fayettenam will demoralize the boys. This is a vitally important season for football as we try to see what kind of athletics institution that we want to be, but back on point, nothing would surprise me in the MVFC. Indiana State is my sleeper team for sure.

For goodness sake Casey, it's MAROON Get your main school color right :roll: sorry to be that guy.

I would like to know what qualifies as "really, really good" for you...is this by the usual Bear standards or by normal MVC standards? I could MAYBE see them getting over that .500 mark (both conference and overall play)...but I'm talking like 6-5 at best...actually I just looked at your schedule and I apologize but you guys got the shaft. I'd say the Bears have a good chance winning 2 or all 3 of the final 3 games but other than that...maybe 1 more win.
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby panther-state » July 12th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I like underdawg's prediction although I would have some ticky tack flip-flopping.

I also think the Redbirds will be good, possibly a playoff team, this next season and should end up in the 2-4 spot in the league. I'm looking forward to an awesome showdown to finish out the regular season between them and UNI. I'm never a believer in NDSU and if anyteam could be considered a FLUKE (sorry for using that term Casey ;) ) it would be them. The Valley needs SIU to return to the top portion of the league and I think they'll bring SDSU up there with them (hopefully knock da bizon with them). Indiana St. is doomed to a return to the bottom...anyone who actually watched that team play against DECENT competition last year will hopefully agree. They aren't as bad as they used to be but how the heck could you?? I see them in the bottom two this next season, easy. I hope YSU can fight them off and relegate them back to the celler, that team completely overachieved last season and got way too much respect for it. The fact that ANY credible sports publication would have them in a pre-season Top 25 poll is just silly [end rant]. Sorry Syc fans...nothing personal. Honest.
"Got it into Moran, final seconds TICK AWAY!! PANTHERS WIN! PANTHERS WIN! Oh BABY, I LOVE THIS TEAM!!! The UNI Panthers have just SHOCKED the College Basketball World. DOWN GOES KANSAS! DOWN GOES KANSAS!!"
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby panther-state » July 12th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I like underdawg's prediction although I would have some ticky tack flip-flopping.

I also think the Redbirds will be good, possibly a playoff team, this next season and should end up in the 2-4 spot in the league. I'm looking forward to an awesome showdown to finish out the regular season between them and UNI. I'm never a believer in NDSU and if anyteam could be considered a FLUKE (sorry for using that term Casey ;) ) it would be them. The Valley needs SIU to return to the top portion of the league and I think they'll bring SDSU up there with them (hopefully knock da bizon with them). Indiana St. is doomed to a return to the bottom...anyone who actually watched that team play against DECENT competition last year will hopefully agree. They aren't as bad as they used to be but how the heck could you?? I see them in the bottom two this next season, easy. I hope YSU can fight them off and relegate them back to the celler, that team completely overachieved last season and got way too much respect for it. The fact that ANY credible sports publication would have them in a pre-season Top 25 poll is just silly [end rant]. Sorry Syc fans...nothing personal. Honest.
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 13th, 2011, 5:06 pm

panther-state wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I would say UNI #1 AND SIUC and NDSU in the next sphere jockeying together for #2 and maybe the top spot if the Panthers falter. It is an interesting race, I cannot think of a year that would shape up with this much parity in either the Gateway/MVFC. From #3-#9 very little would surprise me. With my marron glassess on, I can see Missouri State being really, really good but I wonder if the games in Eugene and Fayettenam will demoralize the boys. This is a vitally important season for football as we try to see what kind of athletics institution that we want to be, but back on point, nothing would surprise me in the MVFC. Indiana State is my sleeper team for sure.

For goodness sake Casey, it's MAROON Get your main school color right :roll: sorry to be that guy.

I would like to know what qualifies as "really, really good" for you...is this by the usual Bear standards or by normal MVC standards? I could MAYBE see them getting over that .500 mark (both conference and overall play)...but I'm talking like 6-5 at best...actually I just looked at your schedule and I apologize but you guys got the shaft. I'd say the Bears have a good chance winning 2 or all 3 of the final 3 games but other than that...maybe 1 more win.

Having only four home games makes it tough. Coach Terry Allen made it clear from day one that the playoffs are the goal. I could see 7 or 8 if everything falls into place and no injuries. I can see us winning the four at home, but getting 3 or 4 outside of Springfield will be tough.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby panther-state » July 13th, 2011, 11:32 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
panther-state wrote:

Having only four home games makes it tough. Coach Terry Allen made it clear from day one that the playoffs are the goal. I could see 7 or 8 if everything falls into place and no injuries. I can see us winning the four at home, but getting 3 or 4 outside of Springfield will be tough.

Well let's have some fun and break this down game by game and see where we think Mo St. will fare this next season. Now these are my OPINIONS, so feel free to disagree:

-Let's just start out and not even bother with Arkansas and Oregon...if you want to argue that you'll win those games fine...but I'm not even bothering.

-Eastern Kentucky--definitely winnable for the Bears. I'm pretty unfamiliar with EKU but I know they have had DECENT teams in the past, made the playoffs a couple times in the past few years but their conference is CRAP. It's a road game however but I'd be surprised if MSU didn't take this one (1-2)

-SIU--Gotta take the Saluki's in this one. I believe that this team will be back this next season and the fact that it's at Saluki Stadium doesn't give me any more confidence in the Bears. Doesn't mean it will be a blowout though (1-3)

-UNI--Missouri State has won 1 game vs. the Panthers in the past 10 seasons (2005) and the past 3 season's the Bears have put up a whole 21 pts. With UNI once again expected to finish at or near the top of the conference I don't see MSU bucking the trend, even at home. (1-4)

-Ill. St.--This one is tough for me, I think the Redbirds are on the rise and will finish in the top 4 of the conference when all is said and done and maybe even make the playoffs. But the Bears will be at home and should be better this year. I could go either way and this conference can be so unpredictable...taking ISUred but wouldn't be surprised if the Bears pulled out a W (1-5)

-NDSU--Bison are overachievers, I hate some of their incredibly annoying and whiny fans, the FargoDome is nothing special (the UNI-Dome is the f--ing Taj Mahal, dont get me wrong, but we're talking about Fargo, ND.). As bad as NDSU's run defense is, I think their offense is too much for MSU in this one. Sorry for being so harsh at this point Bears fans, I just realized that I've only conceeded you 1 win so far (1-6)

-Now here is where I think things get better. @ WIU, v. Indy St, v. SDSU and @ YSU. I think everyone of those games is very winnable for MSU, if they play solid football. Western has lost a lot of there big names, the Jack Rabbits are a good program with a good offense, but not anything spectacular. Indiana St. and Youngstown St. are absolute garbage and we don't need to discuss why the Bears are going to win those 2 games. If a Sycamore fan wants to prove me wrong and try to convince me that last years team was the "real deal" I'm all ears.

So that put's Missouri St. at 5-6 by my count and 4-4 in the MVFC. Not terrible given some of this programs past seasons but I wouldn't buy any postseason tickets quite yet. Like I said, feel free to disagree
panther-state
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to College and NFL Football