Nice Article

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Nice Article

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 31st, 2017, 12:46 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Check out this great article about the Redbird tragedy and how it's helped them this season. Very nicely written...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /97240946/

Article was great, btw.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » January 31st, 2017, 12:59 pm

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Anytime you combine talent, experience, a little swagger and mix in some commitment and a little will or reason to come together, the results are usually solid.

The Redbirds depth reminds me a lot of the Panthers depth the year they beat Kansas. Play really hard, know your roll.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » January 31st, 2017, 12:59 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:Lol, may as well start w/ a bang. I typically won't post much of anything, I just enjoy reading the banter back and forth...but I couldn't resist that one.

^Poor Taste for sure, you really started with a bang....idiot.

You didn't really come in here with a blaze of glory either.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 31st, 2017, 1:01 pm

TheObserver wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:
Horn28Clem30 wrote:Lol, may as well start w/ a bang. I typically won't post much of anything, I just enjoy reading the banter back and forth...but I couldn't resist that one.

^Poor Taste for sure, you really started with a bang....idiot.

You didn't really come in here with a blaze of glory either.

I may have said that Charles Koch isn't structurally sound or something harmless like that, but I'm not dumb enough to mock a tragedy....please don't compare me to that guy.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » January 31st, 2017, 1:03 pm

A good read, thanks for sharing.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 9th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Play Angry wrote:A good read, thanks for sharing.

I will admit I got teary eyed today in the office reading this one...

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... them-heal/

Stickboy posted it on our site and it is a great, great, great read. Please take the time.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby purple&orange » March 10th, 2017, 8:00 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

Stickboy posted it on our site and it is a great, great, great read. Please take the time.

It's a long article but very well written and captures the lives of all seven on board and the surviving wives/fiances. ISU lost some good people and great supporters that April night.

An overlying feature that stuck out to me was how important the school is to the community as a whole, something I believe is true throughout the league. An identity is created from many facets from a town, however in most Valley communities, the town and the University are one if not the first thing an outsider thinks of and the role athletics, particularly the basketball team plays in that.

Finally, even though I wasn't alive in 1977 it was still jarring to see Evansville mentioned, something I suspect if/when another air, travel disaster hits the world of sports or almost does like it did with Michigan this week, it's a tough thing to read, to have come back to your mind, even if I wasn't alive yet to experience it. Wichita State is part of that family as well, it's a family no school wants to ever be a part of and sadly Illinois State joined with this tragedy.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Stickboy46 » March 10th, 2017, 11:10 am

purple&orange wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

It's a long article but very well written and captures the lives of all seven on board and the surviving wives/fiances. ISU lost some good people and great supporters that April night.

An overlying feature that stuck out to me was how important the school is to the community as a whole, something I believe is true throughout the league. An identity is created from many facets from a town, however in most Valley communities, the town and the University are one if not the first thing an outsider thinks of and the role athletics, particularly the basketball team plays in that.

Finally, even though I wasn't alive in 1977 it was still jarring to see Evansville mentioned, something I suspect if/when another air, travel disaster hits the world of sports or almost does like it did with Michigan this week, it's a tough thing to read, to have come back to your mind, even if I wasn't alive yet to experience it. Wichita State is part of that family as well, it's a family no school wants to ever be a part of and sadly Illinois State joined with this tragedy.

I have a better respect for Muller after reading that. I never realized he was supposed to be on that flight and Ward only went because Muller couldn't. I can only imagine the guilt that causes. I also never realized that Wards Wife was 8 months pregnant and that Muller and his family took her in for months after the crash to help her out.

I may not agree with some of the things he's done involving the basketball program, but that shows a heck of a lot of character there.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball