If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby SubGod22 » January 31st, 2017, 2:07 pm

RoyalShock wrote:If you think CU getting into the tournament nearly every year, occasionally winning a game, was a net-negative for the league, I think you're too close to the situation to see it clearly. While they may not be remembered the way WSU is (Final Four, undefeated, 1-seed), the average fan knows CU was a perennial tournament team with decent seeds, and that reflected well on the Valley.

I think it reflected well for Creighton, but not so much for the MVC.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 31st, 2017, 2:12 pm

RoyalShock wrote:If you think CU getting into the tournament nearly every year, occasionally winning a game, was a net-negative for the league, I think you're too close to the situation to see it clearly. While they may not be remembered the way WSU is (Final Four, undefeated, 1-seed), the average fan knows CU was a perennial tournament team with decent seeds, and that reflected well on the Valley.

The average fan also assumed MVC teams can't compete against tournament-level teams. The two are related.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » January 31st, 2017, 2:40 pm

SubGod22 wrote:

I think it reflected well for Creighton, but not so much for the MVC.

I agree. That said, we all had the chance to beat CU in STL and routinely could not.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » January 31st, 2017, 2:51 pm

I disagree, mainly because WSU, SIU, UNI and BU were doing damage, allowing CU's reputation for getting in to the tournament to help the league's profile and reputation. If it were only CU getting in, decent seeds or not (even though I don't believe they were often favored in their first-round matchups), then yes, it wouldn't have been a positive reflection on the league.

Hence, I think many MVC fans were too close to the situation to see it from an outsider's perspective.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » January 31st, 2017, 3:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

The average fan also assumed MVC teams can't compete against tournament-level teams. The two are related.

To me that's it exactly. I have friends that are fans of teams from the power conferences that know I'm a fan of msu and the mvc and I would hear that very thing (poor mvc teams just can't compete with the big boys) from them every time Creighton would flame out which was usually in the 1st game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 31st, 2017, 3:13 pm

RoyalShock wrote:Hence, I think many MVC fans were too close to the situation to see it from an outsider's perspective.

I disagree. I'm surrounded by P5 fans that constantly talked about this. And that was during the mid-2000s when defending the quality of the league had merit and was worth some effort.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 31st, 2017, 6:49 pm

UNI also sustained post coaching change...McDermott for Jacobson.

The SIU to WSU transition was a good one (especially for WSU) for the league. It's possible Bradley could make and sustain the transition to top tier following a Shocker departure. It's also possible that WSU Luke remain in the league with a better UNI, ISU, and improved BU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » February 1st, 2017, 8:59 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Hence, I think many MVC fans were too close to the situation to see it from an outsider's perspective.

I disagree. I'm surrounded by P5 fans that constantly talked about this. And that was during the mid-2000s when defending the quality of the league had merit and was worth some effort.

I could be wrong but most of those years that Creighton won the auto bid they weren't a one seed. So they weren't our best team and then they underperformed in the NCAA. No shock.

The only bigger mystery than why they won so often is why the Shox never won in St Louis when CU was in the Valley.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » February 1st, 2017, 9:37 pm

We don't exactly own St. Louis now that they're gone either. No mystery, curse gonna curse.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » February 1st, 2017, 9:41 pm

bigdawg wrote:The only bigger mystery than why they won so often is why the Shox never won in St Louis when CU was in the Valley.

Mysterious indeed. I'm glad there's other conspiracy theorists out there also.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball