Greg Lansing

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Greg Lansing

Postby Old School MVC » February 22nd, 2017, 1:04 pm

I agree with the assumption that Lansing is a good coach, but only in the X's and O's department. But as far as a recruiter, maybe not.

Top 5 MVC X's and O's Coaches:
1. Marshall
2. Jacobson
3. Lansing
4. Barry
5. Wardle (but this could be up for debate, I am going by seeing him at Wisconsin Green Bay)

Top 5 Recruiters in MVC:
1. Marshall
2. Muller
3. Lusk
4. Moser
5. Marty

The two lists only have one name in common, and that is why they are continually the top team. I am sure the UNI folks will disagree.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I agree with the assumption that Lansing is a good coach, but only in the X's and O's department. But as far as a recruiter, maybe not.

1. Marshall
2. Jacobson
3. Lansing
4. Barry
5. Wardle (but this could be up for debate, I am going by seeing him at Wisconsin Green Bay)

Top 5 Recruiters in MVC:
1. Marshall
2. Muller
3. Lusk
4. Moser
5. Marty

The two lists only have one name in common, and that is why they are continually the top team. I am sure the UNI folks will disagree.

Good list. Except remove Marty and put in Jacobson as #5 recruiter
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 1:15 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I agree with the assumption that Lansing is a good coach, but only in the X's and O's department. But as far as a recruiter, maybe not.

1. Marshall
2. Jacobson
3. Lansing
4. Barry

Top 5 Recruiters in MVC:
1. Marshall
2. Muller
3. Lusk
4. Moser
5. Marty

Say what you want about Jake's recruiting but...

He's top 6 all time in MVC conference wins and total wins
He's never finished with less than 9 conference wins
Has more wins against top 10 rated teams than any other program in the MVC combined (WSU may skew that the other way?)
He has a 65% win %
Been ranked in the top 10
Had 10 players land on the All Tourney team
Had 2 All American's
4 players land on the all newcomer team
4 land on the all freshman team
2 conference POY
10 players on all district teams
19 players make the various all conference teams (37 selections)

Sure. He doesn't recruit the same kind of player profile that ISUr and WSU recruit. That's 100% true. I wouldn't really question his ability to recruit to his system though. That kind of list doesn't just happen because a guy knows X's and O's.

Also Moser and Marty as better recruiters? ROFL. Moser was gifted one talented player when Doyle transfered back to be close to home.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 pm

uniftw wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:
Also Moser and Marty as better recruiters? ROFL. Moser was gifted one talented player when Doyle transfered back to be close to home.

Average star rating for all MVC teams with players on roster/recruited....

https://www.verbalcommits.com/conferenc ... uri-valley

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2017, 2:00 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

Then Loyola should be absolutely embarrassed by the results they're getting on the floor, with recruiting rankings being the exact science they are and all.

I'd put Jacobson as the number 4 recruiter after Marshall, Muller and Lusk.

I'm also not sure he isn't better with Xs and Os than Marshall. I don't think its the slam dunk you think it is but they're certainly head and shoulders above everybody else.

What's funny, is that if you flipped rosters today both would be significantly worse teams because both guys do such a great job recruiting to their systems.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

It's cute you think that matters. UNI has one signed for next year. :huh:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 22nd, 2017, 2:47 pm

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

1. WSU
2. ISUr
3. Loyola
10. UNI

It's cute you think that matters. UNI has one signed for next year. :huh:

Does it not include your current rostered players star rating as well? Not just incoming recruits...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 22nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

I do not think recruit star ratings are a good way to evaluate anything, and I think all WSU fans should know better.

Having said that, if people want to have a 'mvc best coach' pissing match, it should just not involve Marshall and be a 'mvc 2nd best coach' pissing match.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 22nd, 2017, 3:15 pm

The huge surge in Loyola recruiting is based primarily on the new talent brought in this year and next year. While it looks great on paper the talent has been partially offset by injury and red shirting this year. Ultimately though stars don't matter, it's what they do when they get to the school, which is more a reflection on coaching.

2016-17 class
Custer-3/4 star (playing major minutes for the first time in D1, streaky shooting, but still an above average guard)
Chastain-3 (Freshmen, redshirting after injury in third game)
Marques Townes-3 (Redshirt as a transfer)
Satterwhite- 3 (Freshmen coming off ACL tear in HS, flashing as of late)
Skokna-2 (solid, need him to be more aggressive scoring though)
Jackson-2 (clearly a steal)
Granic-2 (ehhhh)

17-18 Class
Christian Negron-3/4 star
Cam Krutwig-3 star

The recruiting class last year didn't add much. The surge began with Mullins promotion to assistant coach. Before that our only "ranked" recruit was Ben Richardson with a 3 star rating from rivals. Milt was unranked due to being injured almost all his junior year of high school and not playing summer ball after. Barring significant injuries/transfers next year will better reflect the talent level as it should mostly be on the court able to play.

To be honest i don't put Jacobson that high on recruiting either. He doesn't often dance with big name recruits (or if he has he hasn't often won). Which is totally fine... in mind i think it really enhances his coaching credibility. He recruits intentionally with a plan in place and gets the guys he needs to win. He maxes out players, recruits through families etc. He really helped build Jeremy Morgan into a great player. He just doesn't recruit with buzz i suppose. Doesn't make him bad.

As for Lansing i really don't know how to feel. It seems like the last two seasons have ended with "The team has quit on Greg." Doesn't that on some level fall on coaching? Maybe not X's and O's or recruiting... but just motivation? I've always respected how his teams play defense but it's hard to say after this year where he stands in my opinion.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 22nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Blers wrote:The huge surge in Loyola recruiting is based primarily on the new talent brought in this year and next year. While it looks great on paper the talent has been partially offset by injury and red shirting this year. Ultimately though stars don't matter, it's what they do when they get to the school, which is more a reflection on coaching.

2016-17 class
Custer-3/4 star (playing major minutes for the first time in D1, streaky shooting, but still an above average guard)
Chastain-3 (Freshmen, redshirting after injury in third game)
Marques Townes-3 (Redshirt as a transfer)
Satterwhite- 3 (Freshmen coming off ACL tear in HS, flashing as of late)
Skokna-2 (solid, need him to be more aggressive scoring though)
Jackson-2 (clearly a steal)
Granic-2 (ehhhh)

17-18 Class
Christian Negron-3/4 star
Cam Krutwig-3 star

The recruiting class last year didn't add much. The surge began with Mullins promotion to assistant coach. Before that our only "ranked" recruit was Ben Richardson with a 3 star rating from rivals. Milt was unranked due to being injured almost all his junior year of high school and not playing summer ball after. Barring significant injuries/transfers next year will better reflect the talent level as it should mostly be on the court able to play.

To be honest i don't put Jacobson that high on recruiting either. He doesn't often dance with big name recruits (or if he has he hasn't often won). Which is totally fine... in mind i think it really enhances his coaching credibility. He recruits intentionally with a plan in place and gets the guys he needs to win. He maxes out players, recruits through families etc. He really helped build Jeremy Morgan into a great player. He just doesn't recruit with buzz i suppose. Doesn't make him bad.

As for Lansing i really don't know how to feel. It seems like the last two seasons have ended with "The team has quit on Greg." Doesn't that on some level fall on coaching? Maybe not X's and O's or recruiting... but just motivation? I've always respected how his teams play defense but it's hard to say after this year where he stands in my opinion.

Great Post.

I'm with you on Lansing. Three years ago, I may have had him in the number 3 spot, but something happened after the beat down in St Louis two years ago. That program hasn't been the same since. Now I'd definitely rank Muller and Hinson above him and place him in a tier with Moser and Marty.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball