2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2017 Coaching Changes - emphasis on MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 10:53 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We are in year 10 of the Simmons era.

165-159 and 12 wins coming against sub-D1 competition

74-105 in MVC play (60-65 in last 7 years if you want to consider that a bright spot??)

Finished above .500 twice

Has coached the schools #1 and #2 all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder

Never played in a postseason tournament that wasn't a pay for play

Year 10, a team with 6 seniors and 1 RS Jr is considered a rebuilding year.

Why would this be considered a bad track record?

Post of the day
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 10:57 am

DUBulldog wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Drake - Who knows what direction they will go....I'd contest that if they could ever get Keno Davis back, which is a big IF, I would think about it. He is the only coach who has had real success in the last decade or so. I know he kind of bailed after one year, but he also might be your ticket to getting back to more competitive basketball...but that's also if Drake wants him and if Keno would come.

I'm not sure I'd want Keno back. In nine seasons since leaving Drake, he's 123-124. Currently in his 5th season at Central Michigan, his team is 6-9 in the MAC. In his one season at Drake, his recruiting was terrible. Not bad, but terrible.

Two of his three fall recruits never came to Drake at the request of the coaching staff that followed. One of them ended up playing D3 ball and the other ran track at one of the Dakota schools. The third was at Drake for two years, and literally never played a minute.

At the end of his 28-5 season, he had one scholarship left.....and he used it to get a commitment from a juco point guard that Drake had asked to walk two years prior. If a former walk-on candidate is the best you can do coming off a top 20 season, then you cannot recruit.

Understand, I guess I don't have much of an argument for that. I think my thought was just because he had one great year there, I figure he could create some buzz and get the train back on the tracks, but from what you and the person above said, it's not as much what Keno did, that got them to the big dance.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » February 24th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:I agree with this. However, all that talent might transfer away too if they get rid of Lusk (risk you take with a coaching change). We know this very well with Tim Jankovich leaving and Nic Moore following him to SMU.

It's a risk, though one worth taking I think, as that talent with this coach clearly isn't getting it done. And I doubt Lusk is going to find himself on the bench of Larry Brown after he is fired.

I think we've seen enough transfers out of the Valley in recent years to say that not getting rid of Lusk is also a risk. And if Lusk is just going to squander all of the talent he has recruited, does it even matter if they would leave with him?
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby acesfool » February 24th, 2017, 1:30 pm

I could see Indiana making a run at Marshall after this season.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » February 24th, 2017, 2:56 pm

LanceShock wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:I agree with this. However, all that talent might transfer away too if they get rid of Lusk (risk you take with a coaching change). We know this very well with Tim Jankovich leaving and Nic Moore following him to SMU.

It's a risk, though one worth taking I think, as that talent with this coach clearly isn't getting it done. And I doubt Lusk is going to find himself on the bench of Larry Brown after he is fired.

I think we've seen enough transfers out of the Valley in recent years to say that not getting rid of Lusk is also a risk. And if Lusk is just going to squander all of the talent he has recruited, does it even matter if they would leave with him?

If you want to get rid of Lusk who are you replacing him with that is better?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 24th, 2017, 3:06 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
LanceShock wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:It's a risk, though one worth taking I think, as that talent with this coach clearly isn't getting it done. And I doubt Lusk is going to find himself on the bench of Larry Brown after he is fired.

That is a very open-ended question, but really anyone who knows how to coach. Maybe they can keep Lusk on as a recruiter (since they seem to get great talent)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » February 24th, 2017, 3:38 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

The Kickapoo coach is probably better when it comes to X's and O's
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 24th, 2017, 3:44 pm

acesfool wrote:I could see Indiana making a run at Marshall after this season.

I wonder if Indiana would be one of the few jobs that could snag Marshall....It would have to, if nothing else, make him consider it...
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sixth ace » February 24th, 2017, 4:49 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:We are in year 10 of the Simmons era.

165-159 and 12 wins coming against sub-D1 competition

74-105 in MVC play (60-65 in last 7 years if you want to consider that a bright spot??)

Finished above .500 twice

Has coached the schools #1 and #2 all time leading scorers and all time leading rebounder

Never played in a postseason tournament that wasn't a pay for play

Year 10, a team with 6 seniors and 1 RS Jr is considered a rebuilding year.

Why would this be considered a bad track record?

You should immediately write this same message in an email to the Athletic Director as well.

What makes you think the AD has an email address??
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 24th, 2017, 5:04 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

The Kickapoo coach is probably better when it comes to X's and O's

Some people on this board might think that's an exaggeration but it's not. I think most reasonably successful high school coaches could do a better job with in game coaching than our current HC.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball