Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Marshall

Postby SubGod22 » March 6th, 2017, 11:36 am

Indiana doesn't worry me much. Maggie will be a SR and Marshall will have his best team ever next year.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » March 6th, 2017, 11:56 am

If the Indiana job is going to open up, this is the best possible year for it to happen for WSU fans. The odds of Gregg leaving are not zero but it would take the offer to end all offers for it to happen this offseason considering his family situation and the returning roster.

Keep in mind he has already thumbed his nose at UCLA when they took 4th/5th/6th/7th backup option Alford (obviously this has worked out just fine this year). Name power alone is hardly determinant.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 6th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Play Angry wrote:If the Indiana job is going to open up, this is the best possible year for it to happen for WSU fans. The odds of Gregg leaving are not zero but it would take the offer to end all offers for it to happen this offseason considering his family situation and the returning roster.

Keep in mind he has already thumbed his nose at UCLA when they took 4th/5th/6th/7th backup option Alford (obviously this has worked out just fine this year). Name power alone is hardly determinant.

I agree completely. He's got a great team coming back next year. He's happy. But a few schools, including Indiana, can make that "offer to end all offers" to HCGM. I think, however, that the AD at Indiana is enough to keep him away.

I still think that UNC is one that could lure him away. But I don't hear any chatter about Roy retiring any time soon...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SHOX1MVC » March 6th, 2017, 12:07 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:If I was a Wichita State fan, Indiana is one of the few jobs that would worry me in relation to losing HCGM. However, the IU AD is a bit of a cotton-headed ninnymuggins, who isn't totally sure what he's doing, but above all else, he expects his coaches to be nice to everyone at all times. Not sure Marshall would leave for an environment like that. But it is a blue-blood program, with limitless resources and a crazy fan base. His style would sell well in Bloomington, though, as would his resume. He's more successful than any IU coach since Knight.

I think Marshall stays at WSU this year. Now, if UNC opens up in the future, I would be worried...

And I agree with the statement above, Marshall, and WSU, are good for the Valley. I hope they never leave!

We would be crazy to believe UNC would go outside the circle of trust for their next coach. I don't think Roy is going anywhere soon anyway.
SHOX1MVC
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby TheObserver » March 6th, 2017, 12:11 pm

I don't think it help matters seeing peers like Shaka Smart, who dominated at a school he made his name at, get buried at the bigger school no more than 2 years in.

Sometimes you don't mess with happy. Marshall has made that abundantly clear.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » March 6th, 2017, 12:23 pm

TheObserver wrote:I don't think it help matters seeing peers like Shaka Smart, who dominated at a school he made his name at, get buried at the bigger school no more than 2 years in.

I disagree completely. Marshall is good enough to hack it anywhere. Smart is probably not. Smart didn't dominate anything. He literally never won a league title.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » March 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Marshall doesn't care for prima donnas. A lot of 4 and 5 star players are prima donnas. Fans of P5 schools want a lot of 4 and 5 star players on their team.

All it would take would be one off year, and P5 fans would turn on him and use "he can't recruit at this level" as their rallying cry to fire him. There are also a lot of 4 and 5 star players who wouldn't put up with Marshall's coaching style or practices. They would see themselves as too good to share stats or go through the conditioning and practices Marshall has. Heaven forbid that they would have to learn to play defense before they went to the NBA.

I believe Marshall is probably aware of the potential problems he might face. It seems that Shaka Smart can't convince players at Texas to play D the way he could convince players at VCU to play D.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » March 6th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Aces1982 wrote:There are all sort of rumors out there that Tom Crean is headed to Missouri. If that happens, I believe IU would be a job Marshall would leave Wichita for.

Why would Marshall want to go to a school who wants to get rid of their coach who rebuilt a program and has taken it to 4 NCAA appearance in 6 years (if u assume they are not getting in this year). In these 4 appearances were 3 sweet-16's appearances.

Personally I don't worry about Marshall leaving. He has professed he want to retire sooner rather than later. He is 54, that means he is thinking of wanting to retire anytime between the next 4-10 years. What program really want to hire a guy who only plans on coaching for another 5 years?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » March 6th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:There are all sort of rumors out there that Tom Crean is headed to Missouri. If that happens, I believe IU would be a job Marshall would leave Wichita for.

Why would Marshall want to go to a school who wants to get rid of their coach who rebuilt a program and has taken it to 4 NCAA appearance in 6 years (if u assume they are not getting in this year). In these 4 appearances were 3 sweet-16's appearances.

Personally I don't worry about Marshall leaving. He has professed he want to retire sooner rather than later. He is 54, that means he is thinking of wanting to retire anytime between the next 4-10 years. What program really want to hire a guy who only plans on coaching for another 5 years?

IU doesn't care about NCAA appearances or sweet 16's. They want Final Fours and National Championships and beat Purdue.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » March 6th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Why would he want to leave Wichita where he is loved, can do anything he wants, AND makes 3.3 million! I can not stand the guy (probably a little coaches envy going on here), but he is a Hell of a Coach, in a GREAT situation. I hope he stays, I hope Wichita stays and I hope someone can beat them again sometime (which doesn't look like it will happen next year).
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball