Scottrade Center

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Scottrade Center

Postby MoValleyFan » March 8th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Scottrade Center is worn out and becoming a depressing venue for the MVC Tournament. This was my tenth year attending Arch Madness and I can say that the facility is tired, food quality was poor, and the commitment to the MVC didn't seem to be there. I'm wondering if they actually want the tournament to remain in STL. Honestly for the Championship game to draw the following attendance is really surprising. I threw in the Summit League and sure SDSU has a "home game"in Sioux Falls its surprising that the MVC doesn't draw more. This is no dig on any school in the MVC but really disappointing...

Scottrade Center
St. Louis, Missouri
Attendance: 11,744
Championship Game

Denny Sanford Premier Center
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Attendance: 9,441

Found this on Wikipedia

[i][i]The Valley is well known for having some of the most dedicated fanbases in all of college basketball, with several members regularly selling out their large arenas on a nightly basis throughout the year. One member (Wichita State) sold out every single game for the 2006–07 season and in 2012–13 averaged 10,312 attendees in their 10,506 seat arena. Former member (Creighton) had the sixth highest attendance for Division I in 2012–13 while Wichita State, Bradley, Illinois State, Missouri State, and Indiana State were all among the NCAA's top 100 teams in home attendance.

In 2010–11, 2011–12, and 2012–13, the Valley maintained its position as the eighth ranked conference in average attendance.

The Valley made history in March 2007 with record attendance for four days at St. Louis' Scottrade Center as 85,074 fans turned out to watch the five sessions of the tournament. The two sellout crowds of 22,612 for the semifinals and final of the 2007 State Farm Tournament set an all-time attendance record for basketball at the arena and also gave The Valley the distinction of having the largest championship crowd for any of the 30 NCAA conference tournaments in 2007.
MoValleyFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Scottrade Center

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scottrade Center

Postby Play Angry » March 8th, 2017, 8:47 pm

The event is certainly a lifeless shell of its former self. The deterioration (collapse?) of competitiveness from the middle and lower tiers of the standings has been on full display the last few years as fans stay home in droves.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » March 8th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Play Angry wrote: The deterioration (collapse?) of competitiveness from the middle and lower tiers of the standings has been on full display the last few years as fans stay home in droves.

Ding ding ding.

I didn't really consider attending Arch Madness this year due to the Aces being a Thursday team and no other teams I was excited to follow.

In '07, it was almost a wide-open field. Six of the nine games were decided by 6 points or less. This year only three games were within 10 points.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby MoValleyFan » March 8th, 2017, 9:51 pm

pafan wrote:
Play Angry wrote: The deterioration (collapse?) of competitiveness from the middle and lower tiers of the standings has been on full display the last few years as fans stay home in droves.

Ding ding ding.

I didn't really consider attending Arch Madness this year due to the Aces being a Thursday team and no other teams I was excited to follow.

In '07, it was almost a wide-open field. Six of the nine games were decided by 6 points or less. This year only three games were within 10 points.

Parity is obviously a plus but I also know that the OVC is moving their tournament to Evansville from Nashville. The Ford Center was a big plus in the decision as its a great size for the OVC who draw about half of what the MVC does. Next year might be more of the same as I don't see WSU losing any momentum and if I were choosing between Arch Madness or the NCAA's to attend, I'm skipping STL. With that said if they moved the tournament to give it some energy I can only think of a few locations that make sense. Des Moines, Peoria, or Omaha. Any others?.....
MoValleyFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheObserver » March 8th, 2017, 9:58 pm

They wouldn't put it in cities where MVC teams are located.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 8th, 2017, 10:01 pm

MoValleyFan wrote:
pafan wrote:

Ding ding ding.

Parity is obviously a plus but I also know that the OVC is moving their tournament to Evansville from Nashville. The Ford Center was a big plus in the decision as its a great size for the OVC who draw about half of what the MVC does. Next year might be more of the same as I don't see WSU losing any momentum and if I were choosing between Arch Madness or the NCAA's to attend, I'm skipping STL. With that said if they moved the tournament to give it some energy I can only think of a few locations that make sense. Des Moines, Peoria, or Omaha. Any others?.....

Kansas City or Chicago.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » March 8th, 2017, 11:09 pm

If the MVC cared about fairness, attendance, or putting out a good product they would've tried KC by now. Unfortunately the MVC only cares about "tradition", appeasing everyone but Wichita State, or just playing by Elgin's house.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » March 9th, 2017, 5:46 am

If Wichita leaves the attendance drops what,4000.
And yes the facility is getting pretty nasty.
What is the capacity of St.Louis Billions home court, isn't
It a newer facility
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » March 9th, 2017, 8:53 am

I simply don't like the city of STL and stopped going. Scottrade is what it is and when you put all that together it's not worth my time or money.

Chicago would probably boost attendance. Kansas City would definitely boost attendance but it would be even more dominated by Shocker fans. If Wichita leaves, they should probably just move it to Quad Cities like the women's tournament. Unless Bradley gets things turned around, they used to have an impressive showing when they were competitive.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 9th, 2017, 9:10 am

I enjoy STL/Scottrade, but then again, most of my time is spent in the Bud Light Zone and Ballpark Village drinking the entire weekend. So, my perception of it's true ambiance is a bit impacted.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball