Scottrade Center

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Scottrade Center

Postby Redhawk » March 9th, 2017, 9:12 am

I actually love going to Arch Madness but things have changed quite a bit downtown since the Ballpark Village opened. Also agree that the Scottrade could use an upgrade.

As for Chicago...there is a new downtown arena under construction that will be Depaul's home court.
Only seats 10,000 which might not be enough but would probably be a great atmosphere in person and
on TV to promote the Valley!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » March 9th, 2017, 9:17 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:I enjoy STL/Scottrade, but then again, most of my time is spent in the Bud Light Zone and Ballpark Village drinking the entire weekend. So, my perception of it's true ambiance is a bit impacted.

:+1: Yes, my perception is much different when drinking with my boys down in the Lou vs. a night out with my wife. All I need at Arch Madness is cold beer, an occasional tequila sampler and a short bathroom line.
Who cares if the accommodations are dated and the food options suck...alcohol makes it all better!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 9th, 2017, 11:23 am

The atmosphere at the MVC Tournament has nothing to do with the arena and everything to do with the competition on the court. Lately, outside of the top two or three teams there hasn't been much.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby chitown fanatic » March 9th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Redhawk wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:I enjoy STL/Scottrade, but then again, most of my time is spent in the Bud Light Zone and Ballpark Village drinking the entire weekend. So, my perception of it's true ambiance is a bit impacted.

:+1: Yes, my perception is much different when drinking with my boys down in the Lou vs. a night out with my wife. All I need at Arch Madness is cold beer, an occasional tequila sampler and a short bathroom line.
Who cares if the accommodations are dated and the food options suck...alcohol makes it all better!

This. And add gambling at the Lumiere, and pappy's and im set. STL is fine, no changes needed. But the city is in real bad shape
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 9th, 2017, 4:43 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

This. And add gambling at the Lumiere, and pappy's and im set. STL is fine, no changes needed. But the city is in real bad shape

Exactly. I think spending 2-3 days there is about the max, especially if basketball games cover most of your time spent. Any more than that is too much.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValleyFan » March 9th, 2017, 7:18 pm

municup14 wrote:If Wichita leaves the attendance drops what,4000.
And yes the facility is getting pretty nasty.
What is the capacity of St.Louis Billions home court, isn't
It a newer facility

I found this on the Chaifetz Arena. I agree that if WSU leaves the Valley it will be a major hit on attendance. Even this year I felt that Shocker Nation attendance wasn't like previous years and I would not blame them as I would prefer NCAA tourney games.

Chaifetz Arena, located on the campus of Saint Louis University, is a 10,600 seat multi-purpose arena in St. Louis, Missouri, that began construction on August 28, 2006 and opened on April 10, 2008.

I'm curious to more discussion on the Chicago impact .... recruiting for all teams?
MoValleyFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ptownbraves » March 9th, 2017, 9:44 pm

For what it's worth, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen recently approved a bill approving $64 million in bonds to fund renovations to the Scottrade Center.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 68394.html
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValleyFan » March 9th, 2017, 9:57 pm

ptownbraves wrote:For what it's worth, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen recently approved a bill approving $64 million in bonds to fund renovations to the Scottrade Center.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... 68394.html

Thanks for the link Ptownbraves..... been around City and County politics for 20+ years and had a hunch they had to do something after the Rams left....
MoValleyFan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby squirrel » March 9th, 2017, 10:00 pm

This probably won't appeal to everyone, but if St. Louis gets an MLS team, they are planning on building a stadium that is next to and basically part of Union Station, and the MLS season starts right around Arch Madness time, so the possibility to piggyback a game onto the weekend may exist in the future.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 9th, 2017, 10:44 pm

squirrel wrote:This probably won't appeal to everyone, but if St. Louis gets an MLS team, they are planning on building a stadium that is next to and basically part of Union Station, and the MLS season starts right around Arch Madness time, so the possibility to piggyback a game onto the weekend may exist in the future.

Now that would be great and a wonderful venture for STL to take on with so many club soccer teams and complexes in that market. SLSG is a huge club and those families will help boost that downtown economy at MLS games with all their money
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball