Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby DUBulldog » March 1st, 2017, 6:43 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Drake players held a meeting with the school president, lobbying for Rutter

https://twitter.com/GarmanSports/status/836668915753209857

I'm trying not to read too much into it, but if they met with him instead of the AD, does that mean they think he's the one who will make the hire?

I think he could be a nice fit, depending on his recruiting ability.

Offensively, you were much better with him using the same players
The problems came on defense....I think you just don't have the athletes, quickness to compete on this side of the ball.

Definitely can't judge Rutter's ability to coach based on this season. He's got very little talent to work with, and quite possibly the least athletic team in all of Division 1. I like his coaching philosophy; not sure he can recruit.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 1st, 2017, 7:39 pm

Wufan wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Wufan wrote:
He'd actually be a really good fit at MSU. It would be a large pay increase, and MSU fans will support a winner. It could turn out to be a really good gig.

I don't 'think the money would be huge at MSU. Not from what I have heard. Paying a ton of money to fire Lusk and then paying a ton more for a new guy doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Forbes make $205,000.00 this year. If MSU can't grant an attractive offer above that, then Lusk might as well stay.

Never mind. Forbes just received a "retention bonus" of $150,000.00, and increasing 25K per year each of the following two years. He just priced himself out of 60% of the MVC. I guess ISUr can make a play after Muller goes to Indiana.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby OmahaDog » March 1st, 2017, 7:57 pm

I think Forbes owes me a cut of that for driving up interest!

Random: Is the DrakeNation site down? I haven't been able to access it from work or from home.
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby BCPanther » March 1st, 2017, 7:59 pm

OmahaDog wrote:I think Forbes owes me a cut of that for driving up interest!

Random: Is the DrakeNation site down? I haven't been able to access it from work or from home.

PantherNation is down too and they're on the same server. I'm sure Ames is working on it....
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » March 1st, 2017, 8:02 pm

BCPanther wrote:
OmahaDog wrote:I think Forbes owes me a cut of that for driving up interest!

PantherNation is down too and they're on the same server. I'm sure Ames is working on it....

Yep, I've been trying all day to access both sites with no success. I have e-mailed Ames, and hope he can get it figured out soon.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OmahaDog » March 1st, 2017, 8:08 pm

K. Thanks. Go Dawgs!
OmahaDog
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby DUBulldog » March 10th, 2017, 6:42 am

Some early rumors:

Darian DeVries (assistant at Creighton)
Brian Jones (HC at North Dakota)
Craig Smith (HC at South Dakota)
Linc Darner (HC at UW-Green Bay)

From what I hear, the interview process hasn't started yet, but they've already identified the top candidates. Not sure if the rumored names above are actually on the list.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BCPanther » March 10th, 2017, 7:15 am

DUBulldog wrote:Some early rumors:

From what I hear, the interview process hasn't started yet, but they've already identified the top candidates. Not sure if the rumored names above are actually on the list.

If your're hiring Brian Jones you might as well shut the program down. Everybody in his league hates him, his teams play an incredibly dirty style and he's a terrible recruiter that's even worse on the bench. He wins by having his guys get under the other teams skin with elbows and all sorts of bs. Of that list, DeVries and Darner are the only candidates that have a shot in the Valley.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » March 10th, 2017, 9:09 am

BCPanther wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Some early rumors:

If your're hiring Brian Jones you might as well shut the program down. Everybody in his league hates him, his teams play an incredibly dirty style and he's a terrible recruiter that's even worse on the bench. He wins by having his guys get under the other teams skin with elbows and all sorts of bs. Of that list, DeVries and Darner are the only candidates that have a shot in the Valley.

Agreed on Jones but why would Craig Smith have no shot in the Valley?
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » March 10th, 2017, 9:19 am

I assumed Rutter would get it after the job he did the past couple of months. However going outside and getting a fresh face wouldn't be a bad idea.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball