Shockers try to stay relevant Nationally

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby mvcfan » March 11th, 2017, 12:57 pm

This is not meant as a slight to the rest of the MVC but our goals are on a national basis and not only on the MVC. It feels like the rest of the league is only set on waiting until WSU falters and not on how to reach the national relevance that the Shockers now relish in. That, imo is a pathway to failure and irrelevance.

I wish that our success in the past 6 years and really over a little longer than that, our high national success in the 80's (along with Bradley, Tulsa, and on a lesser basis ISUR, ISUB, and Drake), and our national success in the 50's and early 60's (along with Bradley, Cincy, Louisville) would be sought for by the rest of the league.

Here is a small article on the importance of remodeling CKA, the coaches offices, and locker rooms that were just remodeled 15 years ago to reflect our national relevance.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 79053.html

At a time when WSU should pump its recent successes — say, NCAA wins over Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas and Arizona — those accomplishments are undersold in high-traffic parts of Koch Arena. The concourse decor remains largely unchanged from when it opened in 2003, which means a visitor can count more pictures of Neil Strom and Randy Burns than those of Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker.
Coaches and administrators realize it’s time for a makeover. If recent men’s basketball images are insufficient, those hyping NCAA Tournament appearances for sports such as women’s basketball and volleyball are even less prominent in the concourse and offices.

Still, Koch Arena is far from neglected.

Improvements include new trophy cases, remodeled locker rooms, the addition of a recruiting room and the 2013 installation of a $1.8 million scoreboard and a sound system. Visitors to the men’s basketball office walk by a life-size picture of the tipoff for the 2013 national semifinal against Louisville.

The history display moved to the concourse in the summer of 2016 and is updated with information and images —such as the Sports Illustrated cover with Baker, VanVleet, Cleanthony Early, Tekele Cotton and Chadrack Lufile — through the 2015-16 season.

The work of putting WSU’s place in college basketball in the best company possible is ongoing and more updates are planned.

The most recent addition is the lighted mural in the men’s basketball waiting area, It now features pictures of the Shockers playing in recent NCAA games, an update from when the display focused on the 2006 Sweet 16 and the 2011 NIT title.

What visitors won’t see is a display highlighting men’s basketball battles with other Missouri Valley Conference schools.

“We wanted to highlight the level of basketball that we’ve been playing,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said. “There’s Louisville and Ohio State and Kentucky and Arizona. There’s pictures of those type of teams that we’ve been playing. Kansas. Indiana. Those are big-time programs and we’ve been going toe to toe with them.”
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shockers try to stay relevant Nationally

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm

mvcfan wrote:This is not meant as a slight to the rest of the MVC but our goals are on a national basis and not only on the MVC. It feels like the rest of the league is only set on waiting until WSU falters and not on how to reach the national relevance that the Shockers now relish in. That, imo is a pathway to failure and irrelevance.

I wish that our success in the past 6 years and really over a little longer than that, our high national success in the 80's (along with Bradley, Tulsa, and on a lesser basis ISUR, ISUB, and Drake), and our national success in the 50's and early 60's (along with Bradley, Cincy, Louisville) would be sought for by the rest of the league.

Here is a small article on the importance of remodeling CKA, the coaches offices, and locker rooms that were just remodeled 15 years ago to reflect our national relevance.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 79053.html

At a time when WSU should pump its recent successes — say, NCAA wins over Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas and Arizona — those accomplishments are undersold in high-traffic parts of Koch Arena. The concourse decor remains largely unchanged from when it opened in 2003, which means a visitor can count more pictures of Neil Strom and Randy Burns than those of Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker.
Coaches and administrators realize it’s time for a makeover. If recent men’s basketball images are insufficient, those hyping NCAA Tournament appearances for sports such as women’s basketball and volleyball are even less prominent in the concourse and offices.

Still, Koch Arena is far from neglected.

Improvements include new trophy cases, remodeled locker rooms, the addition of a recruiting room and the 2013 installation of a $1.8 million scoreboard and a sound system. Visitors to the men’s basketball office walk by a life-size picture of the tipoff for the 2013 national semifinal against Louisville.

The history display moved to the concourse in the summer of 2016 and is updated with information and images —such as the Sports Illustrated cover with Baker, VanVleet, Cleanthony Early, Tekele Cotton and Chadrack Lufile — through the 2015-16 season.

The work of putting WSU’s place in college basketball in the best company possible is ongoing and more updates are planned.

The most recent addition is the lighted mural in the men’s basketball waiting area, It now features pictures of the Shockers playing in recent NCAA games, an update from when the display focused on the 2006 Sweet 16 and the 2011 NIT title.

What visitors won’t see is a display highlighting men’s basketball battles with other Missouri Valley Conference schools.

“We wanted to highlight the level of basketball that we’ve been playing,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said. “There’s Louisville and Ohio State and Kentucky and Arizona. There’s pictures of those type of teams that we’ve been playing. Kansas. Indiana. Those are big-time programs and we’ve been going toe to toe with them.”

This is not unique. Take a look around Bradley, Carver Arena, etc. Almost all programs focus on the highest of highs in their history--not the every day battles vs league opponents.

And to say other MVC teams arent seeking to be at Wichita's level would be wrong. Every team would love to be there. Wichita struck gold with a coach and is riding the wave. Other teams are hoping for the same thing. It's not some magic formula that Wichita has figured out.

Meanwhile...here is a nice article in the PJ Star about Gregg Marshall and his relationship with a guy who was worked Bradley and MVC Tournament games for many years.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20170310/w ... -volunteer
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » March 11th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Good point Tribe.

Can the mods please set up a separate forum for some of these Shocker fans who continually need to have a cyber circle-jerk when the feelings of insecurity set in?

I expected to log in and see some thoughts on where they may be seeded, potential match ups, etc and there is just a bunch of stupid non-sense like this.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » March 11th, 2017, 2:04 pm

The quest for mediocrity continues.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I believe that some of Bradley wants to win and are paying well for their coaches (by Valley standards) even though they haven't been successful. Their facilities are getting old and will soon need to be upgraded. UNI is paying Jacobson pretty well in our league, and have pretty good basketball facilities. MSU fans seem to want to win but their leadership seem to care less. I'm not sure about some of the others but some of them may be willing to spend to win. But there are others like Evansville who judging from some posters have stated that they are waiting for WSU to fall before they win.

Are you kidding me? Maybe this is not unique, but NO, NOT everyone is spending money every year, and continually spending to build up facilities to make sure that they are competitive with all comers nationally, whether they be from the Valley or from the Southland Conference.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » March 11th, 2017, 5:00 pm

I'm not sure about some of the others but some of them may be willing to spend to win. But there are others like Evansville who judging from some posters have stated that they are waiting for WSU to fall before they win.

I believe you are misinformed I have not seen that quoted from Aces fans. UE has spent the money They are redoing the Carson Center for womens basketball, they have built the new practice center , they rent the best arena that is available and have given extensions to the coaching staff. They will take on any and all teams of the MVC.

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » March 11th, 2017, 5:43 pm

sixth ace wrote:
I'm not sure about some of the others but some of them may be willing to spend to win. But there are others like Evansville who judging from some posters have stated that they are waiting for WSU to fall before they win.

I believe you are misinformed I have not seen that quoted from Aces fans. UE has spent the money They are redoing the Carson Center for womens basketball, they have built the new practice center , they rent the best arena that is available and have given extensions to the coaching staff. They will take on any and all teams of the MVC.

:Cheers:

Ahh. Women's basketball, practice, and Marty for 5 more years. Spending money for the future.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2017, 9:59 pm

mvcfan wrote:Are you kidding me? Maybe this is not unique, but NO, NOT everyone is spending money every year, and continually spending to build up facilities to make sure that they are competitive with all comers nationally, whether they be from the Valley or from the Southland Conference.

There is no bigger waste of money and hype than the continual building of facilities on college campuses and within athletic departments. And Wichita didn't put up a ton of new buildings etc. and THEN get really good. They got really good first and then spent more and more money.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 11th, 2017, 10:10 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
mvcfan wrote:Are you kidding me? Maybe this is not unique, but NO, NOT everyone is spending money every year, and continually spending to build up facilities to make sure that they are competitive with all comers nationally, whether they be from the Valley or from the Southland Conference.

There is no bigger waste of money and hype than the continual building of facilities on college campuses and within athletic departments. And Wichita didn't put up a ton of new buildings etc. and THEN get really good. They got really good first and then spent more and more money.

Sort of...the renovation of Koch arena was in 2003. The locker rooms were in 2013 I believe.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 11th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Wufan wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Sort of...the renovation of Koch arena was in 2003. The locker rooms were in 2013 I believe.

Understood. But new facilities do not equal more wins. No matter how much people talk about them.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball