Selection Sunday questions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Selection Sunday questions

Postby Cdizzle » March 12th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Bradleyfan1 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:I'm curious what data you have to back that up. WSU already opened as 6.5 favorites

Experience over Depth.

Quality over experience..

Yes. None of WSU's players have experienced the NCAA tournament.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 12th, 2017, 7:34 pm

An interesting thing to think about.

The committee described their scrubbing process. After their initial ranking of teams, they like to review the rankings by comparing two teams directly. If they deem a swap is necessary, they'll make it. If not, they leave the team where it is.

Wichita ended up at #38 on the S-Curve released by the committee. #37 was Oklahoma St. And for good measure, #35 was Michigan St.

What likely happened: the committee initially voted Wichita St as a 10 seed, somewhere around #40 overall, recognized it was really stupid. They started the scrubbing process...and stopped at Oklahoma St because of head to head, ignoring all analytics and other resume factors. Hence, Wichita stays buried on the 10 line even though they compared favorably to teams ahead of them. All because they messed up the initial vote then got trapped by H2H.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Bradleyfan1 » March 12th, 2017, 7:36 pm

The quality is about equal , Witch being slightly deeper which will help them deeper down the road IF they can beat Dayton. . I say Dayton 76 WSU 72
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 12th, 2017, 8:13 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:An interesting thing to think about.

The committee described their scrubbing process. After their initial ranking of teams, they like to review the rankings by comparing two teams directly. If they deem a swap is necessary, they'll make it. If not, they leave the team where it is.

Wichita ended up at #38 on the S-Curve released by the committee. #37 was Oklahoma St. And for good measure, #35 was Michigan St.

What likely happened: the committee initially voted Wichita St as a 10 seed, somewhere around #40 overall, recognized it was really stupid. They started the scrubbing process...and stopped at Oklahoma St because of head to head, ignoring all analytics and other resume factors. Hence, Wichita stays buried on the 10 line even though they compared favorably to teams ahead of them. All because they messed up the initial vote then got trapped by H2H.

:+1:

I think they need an overhaul to advanced metrics ASAP for seeding and inclusion going forward. A BCS style system of ranking teams would be perfect...you know without changing the format!

Transparency from mid February on..
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 12th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Bradleyfan1 wrote:The quality is about equal , Witch being slightly deeper which will help them deeper down the road IF they can beat Dayton. . I say Dayton 76 WSU 72

Agree to disagree, quality is on WSUs side .. I have data to back that up.

KenPom 8 vs 36
Sagarin 11 vs 40
LRMC 6 vs 51
BPI 15 vs 36

Vegas has WSU as 6.5 favorites ..
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BlueChipShock » March 13th, 2017, 6:01 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Bradleyfan1 wrote:The quality is about equal , Witch being slightly deeper which will help them deeper down the road IF they can beat Dayton. . I say Dayton 76 WSU 72

Agree to disagree, quality is on WSUs side .. I have data to back that up.

KenPom 8 vs 36
Sagarin 11 vs 40
LRMC 6 vs 51
BPI 15 vs 36

Vegas has WSU as 6.5 favorites ..

Some odds on winning the National Title from my sports book
Kansas 8-1
Kentucky 8-1
UNC 7-1
UCLA 10-1
Creigh 75-1
WSU 75-1
Daytn 150-1
Duke 7-1
OSU 150-1
Mich St 150-1

No huge favorite this year. The interesting thing is that they had the teams listed in order of their S=Curve
and WSU sticks out like a sore thumb at #38 and 75-1 and everyone 10 spots ahead of WSU are 150-250/1. We need to beat Dayton or the committee gets to say they were right.
BlueChipShock
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby acesfool » March 13th, 2017, 7:24 pm

I am very surprised that WSU opened as a 6.5 point favorite. Dayton is a very experienced team that has experience, talent, and is finally healthy at the end of this year. I know they lost to Davidson in the A 10 tourney but Davidson would probably be the 2nd best team in the valley. The hardest part for WSU is probably how much better the competition was for Dayton in conference. I think either one can give Kentucky a real run for their money.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BlueChipShock » March 13th, 2017, 8:56 pm

I don't think we have been an underdog in Vegas at all this season...doesn't mean we cant lose but that's a big spread.
BlueChipShock
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SubGod22 » March 13th, 2017, 9:10 pm

BlueChipShock wrote:I don't think we have been an underdog in Vegas at all this season...doesn't mean we cant lose but that's a big spread.

We have been favored by Vegas every game this year. We would be a slight dog vs Kentucky.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball