Love This!

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Love This!

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 13th, 2017, 10:00 am

Dan Muller is going after Power 5 Schools and the Committee. I love this...

Check his twitter handle: https://twitter.com/DanMuller

Read this article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html

I hope more mid-major coaches hop on board. Yes, they should have beaten Murray and Tulsa, but as we all know the chips are stacked against mid-majors regardless. P5 schools don't want to play us in the non-conference, yet we are judged by our lack of quality wins over said P5 schools during the selection process...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Love This!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Love This!

Postby Red » March 13th, 2017, 10:50 am

"Our staff probably called 25 of the schools that made it to see if they would play us. What do they want us to do?"

He should go ahead and name them. They aren't coming to Normal anyway, so who cares if you piss them off.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Horton89 » March 13th, 2017, 10:59 am

I wonder if he had any of these conversations with these coaches/programs while at Vandy. He had access to the SEC. I do like his tweet.
Horton89
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aces1982 » March 13th, 2017, 11:07 am

I like him calling teams out. I think it should be public of who turned down what.

But getting a home and home is probably a stretch from most of these teams. 2 for 1 or 1 on the road would be more likely. And when you are trying to improve your team and schedule, you have to have the mentality to play anyone, anywhere.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » March 13th, 2017, 11:09 am

Aces1982 wrote:I like him calling teams out. I think it should be public of who turned down what.

But getting a home and home is probably a stretch from most of these teams. 2 for 1 or 1 on the road would be more likely. And when you are trying to improve your team and schedule, you have to have the mentality to play anyone, anywhere.

We can probably all agree that P5 schools aren't coming to Normal. Maybe we could get a game in Chicago instead?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 13th, 2017, 11:15 am

Red wrote:We can probably all agree that P5 schools aren't coming to Normal.

I think pretty much everyone in the country will agree with this.

What they won't do, is openly acknowledge that this fact shouldn't be held against ISU.

It is what it is. The MVC is now officially a 1-bid league.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » March 13th, 2017, 11:56 am

Wardle raised the same topic yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BUBrianWardle/statu ... 7895858177

Not that this is a new complaint, but maybe a Festivus-style airing of grievances is at least cathartic.

It's amazing to me how things have changed. At the risk of sounding like an old guy, I remember that in my first year at ISU, 1987, the Redbirds had three games against ranked power conference teams: Purdue, Iowa, and Oklahoma. The Purdue game was actually in Normal and was really competitive. The Birds beat Iowa and then got smoked by Tisdale & Company. It's still possible to get lucky with a tournament draw and get a game or two against a ranked team, but I don't think we'll ever again see a ranked Big 10 team play in Normal. As Cdizzle said, it is what it is.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » March 13th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Did ISU fight for a better MWC Challenge opponent than New Mexico? Did they offer to go on the road for the event to do so?

I get that coaches like to say scheduling is hard, and I know certain aspects of it are, but they make it hard on themselves.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 13th, 2017, 12:19 pm

squirrel wrote:Did ISU fight for a better MWC Challenge opponent than New Mexico? Did they offer to go on the road for the event to do so?

I get that coaches like to say scheduling is hard, and I know certain aspects of it are, but they make it hard on themselves.

I think MWC Challenge schedules are dictated by the leagues...so no say in that.

This is not an unheard of complaint. All good mid-majors can't get a good high major on their schedule, especially not a home game. They are not playing on level fields here and haven't for quite some time.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 13th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Success does nothing but assure that no P5 team will play in your building.

Iowa and Iowa State stopped coming to Cedar Falls as soon as we beat them consistently. Carolina was a crazy circumstance and beating them almost made things worse long term because anybody on the fence is a strong no now. Somehow Jake worked his magic and got Xavier to come here next year, but Xavier is headed for a big time rebuilding year, so Mack was probably okay with going on the road in exchange for what should have been a good home game for him this year. Too bad we fell apart and they fell apart.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball