The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby glm38 » March 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:Just to troll the whole world, I'd like to point out that if we selected at-large teams solely by kenpom, the Big 12 would have 8 teams in.


I'd be totally okay with the selection committee using KP or other similar metric to select the at-larges. A really good system would be to give each conference (32) the auto-qualifier, grant the next 28 highest ranked schools a bid, and then allow the committee to grant 8 teams the play-in game. The committee then seeds the schools either by analytics or some other method.


I wish they would use the play in game properly. It in no way shape or form should EVER be 4 power conference teams like this year. Use it for a mid major that is right outside the cut line, that didn't have 20 built in opportunities for good wins. Pair them with a middling P5 team that "won more good games" with 5 times the chances and let the mid major play its way into the tourney.


+1. If you did it this way it would also generate more interest than matching 2 middling P5 teams IMO.
User avatar
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby Wufan » March 14th, 2017, 11:12 am

glm38 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
I'd be totally okay with the selection committee using KP or other similar metric to select the at-larges. A really good system would be to give each conference (32) the auto-qualifier, grant the next 28 highest ranked schools a bid, and then allow the committee to grant 8 teams the play-in game. The committee then seeds the schools either by analytics or some other method.


I wish they would use the play in game properly. It in no way shape or form should EVER be 4 power conference teams like this year. Use it for a mid major that is right outside the cut line, that didn't have 20 built in opportunities for good wins. Pair them with a middling P5 team that "won more good games" with 5 times the chances and let the mid major play its way into the tourney.


+1. If you did it this way it would also generate more interest than matching 2 middling P5 teams IMO.


Great idea! 4 or 8 best teams from a one bid conference, or four or eight best teams that won a regular season title, but didn't make the 56 team field.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 4106
Joined: October 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby Stickboy46 » March 14th, 2017, 11:19 am

glm38 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Wufan wrote:I'd be totally okay with the selection committee using KP or other similar metric to select the at-larges. A really good system would be to give each conference (32) the auto-qualifier, grant the next 28 highest ranked schools a bid, and then allow the committee to grant 8 teams the play-in game. The committee then seeds the schools either by analytics or some other method.


I wish they would use the play in game properly. It in no way shape or form should EVER be 4 power conference teams like this year. Use it for a mid major that is right outside the cut line, that didn't have 20 built in opportunities for good wins. Pair them with a middling P5 team that "won more good games" with 5 times the chances and let the mid major play its way into the tourney.


+1. If you did it this way it would also generate more interest than matching 2 middling P5 teams IMO.

Most K State fans I know are pissed off they are in the play in game. Not because they felt like they should be in, but because it makes it harder to fire their coach because they "got in". I'm sure the ratings are going to be horrible.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 677
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 9:24 am

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 14th, 2017, 12:00 pm

glm38 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
I'd be totally okay with the selection committee using KP or other similar metric to select the at-larges. A really good system would be to give each conference (32) the auto-qualifier, grant the next 28 highest ranked schools a bid, and then allow the committee to grant 8 teams the play-in game. The committee then seeds the schools either by analytics or some other method.


I wish they would use the play in game properly. It in no way shape or form should EVER be 4 power conference teams like this year. Use it for a mid major that is right outside the cut line, that didn't have 20 built in opportunities for good wins. Pair them with a middling P5 team that "won more good games" with 5 times the chances and let the mid major play its way into the tourney.


+1. If you did it this way it would also generate more interest than matching 2 middling P5 teams IMO.


Now we are cooking with oil. Way better than tonight. I doubt I'll tune in.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby Majik45 » March 14th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I always thought the "play in" games should be the last 8 at large teams, not 4 of the 16 seeds. If you are barely making the tourney, you deserve to play in.

For those that did not know, Former Bradley coach Jim Les is stuck playing with his UC Davis squad in the first play in game tomorrow night.
Majik45
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: March 2nd, 2011, 4:07 pm

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby bleach » March 14th, 2017, 2:44 pm

If they would just apply one standard it would be fine. You must be over .500 in your conference if you don't get the automatic bid!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 729
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby CaliRdBrd » March 14th, 2017, 3:44 pm

bleach wrote:If they would just apply one standard it would be fine. You must be over .500 in your conference if you don't get the automatic bid!



If you did this, Wake, K-Sate, Xavier and Ok State would be sitting at home and I'd be absolutely OK with that.

Another caveat...if you win the regular season, that's the auto-bid
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 153
Joined: January 11th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby SubGod22 » March 14th, 2017, 4:00 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Another caveat...if you win the regular season, that's the auto-bid


That will never happen. Conference tournaments aren't going to go away and there has to be something to play for. And there's no way you risk giving two bids to most conferences because of it.

But the having to finish at least .500 in conference should absolutely be a standard, and I don't think too many people would take issue with it.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
User avatar
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 769
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 9:37 am
Location: Outside the Dub

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby bleach » March 14th, 2017, 5:54 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
CaliRdBrd wrote:
Another caveat...if you win the regular season, that's the auto-bid


That will never happen. Conference tournaments aren't going to go away and there has to be something to play for. And there's no way you risk giving two bids to most conferences because of it.

But the having to finish at least .500 in conference should absolutely be a standard, and I don't think too many people would take issue with it.


No one except the P5s which might as well be everyone.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 729
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: The Ballad of Illinois State, by Ken Pomeroy

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 14th, 2017, 6:57 pm

You'll never see the over .500 rule ever implemented for this simple reason: bubble talk would vanish. Every team over .500 in a major conference would get a bid, period. The narrative would become that every single power conference team makes the field at 10-8 or better...no matter how good their resume is.

Bubble talk is a big part of the industry. If you eliminate bubble discussion, you hurt the revenue stream. And if you implement that rule, you kill bubble talk (no one wants to listen to ISU bubble talk nationally, let's be honest).
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: April 6th, 2012, 7:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests