MVC starter
MVC starter

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » March 12th, 2017, 8:06 pm

municup14 wrote:Who does Linc Darner coach

Green Bay, succeeded Wardle fresh off winning D2 National Championship. Purdue alum.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » March 18th, 2017, 7:06 pm

New name I saw mentioned today.....Niko Medved of Furman.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tribecalledquest » March 19th, 2017, 10:26 am

DUBulldog wrote:New name I saw mentioned today.....Niko Medved of Furman.

That would be a great hire, IMO.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 20th, 2017, 8:39 am

There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 20th, 2017, 9:23 am

Drakey wrote:There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?

Is there a magic formula that concludes that someone will be successful?

The problem with Geno Ford/Bradley was the fit of the school.

Furman is a private school which is more similar to Drake than Kent State is to Bradley.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » March 20th, 2017, 9:33 am

Drakey wrote:There is no ground upon which you could conclude he would be successful. He has been a head coach 4 years, and had a decent year in his fourth season. Geno Fordish?

Too many differences to make that direct comparison. To start with, Medved has coached at a variety of different types of programs...non-DI, low-level DI, high major, you name it. He has also done it in different parts of the country...South Carolina, Minnesota, Colorado. Additionally he has done it working for coaches like Tim Miles, Dan Monson, Jim Molinari, and Larry Davis (who was Cincinnati's interim head coach for Cronin a couple years ago.) Guys who either had success or at least have insight at coaching at a variety of levels.

Geno Ford had never been out of the state of Ohio professionally, and outside of two non-DI jobs had no experience outside the MAC prior to taking the Bradley job, and with a much more limited coaching network.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 20th, 2017, 9:46 am

I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend.

There was purportedly mutual interest between he and Bradley last time around.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 20th, 2017, 10:03 am

I have no clue who Drake should hire but they need to find an undiscovered energetic young guy that can recruit and bring excitement to the program.

Have never understood why Drake continues to struggle in basketball. They have a great university in a larger metro area and a decent arena. They should be able to pull recruits out of Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and the Twin Cities every year.

They are bound to get it right on a coach sooner or late as long as they are looking in the right places!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » March 20th, 2017, 2:03 pm

squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend

Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball