Who should Drake hire?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should Drake hire?

Postby DUBulldog » March 20th, 2017, 2:05 pm

Redhawk wrote:I have no clue who Drake should hire but they need to find an undiscovered energetic young guy that can recruit and bring excitement to the program.

Have never understood why Drake continues to struggle in basketball. They have a great university in a larger metro area and a decent arena. They should be able to pull recruits out of Chicago, Milwaukee, Kansas City and the Twin Cities every year.

They are bound to get it right on a coach sooner or late as long as they are looking in the right places!

Main reason is terrible hires by ADs with no basketball experience. The only time in the last 50 years that a Drake AD had basketball experience, the Bulldogs got Tom Davis/Keno Davis. Current AD is 0 for 2 with two gigantic swing and misses.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » March 20th, 2017, 2:08 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend

Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.

That makes perfect sense then. Cheers :Cheers:
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 20th, 2017, 5:29 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
squirrel wrote:I wonder about Augustana coach Grey Giovanine-his team has been a DIII power, and they lost the national championship game by a single point over the weekend

Giovanine is very close with Ray Giacoletti. For that reason, I don't see it happening.

Giovanine was an Asst. coach at WSU in the 90s.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby lime » March 21st, 2017, 10:06 am

KCCI sports director says Medved, Smith, and Rutter are interviewing this week. I'd be happy with Medved or Smith. If it's Rutter, that means no one else wanted it.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BCPanther » March 21st, 2017, 10:52 am

Des Moines media is already ripping the search and the finalists.

How do you not go for guys that actually know Iowa and understand Drake. DeVries, Woodley and Dean Oliver are all better candidates and I haven't even really put any effort into thinking about it...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lime » March 21st, 2017, 11:06 am

the only commentary I see from Des Moines media is from Chris Williams, who is just a Cyclone homer and particularly bright. I'd actually take his criticism as an endorsement.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DUBulldog » March 21st, 2017, 11:45 am

lime wrote:the only commentary I see from Des Moines media is from Chris Williams, who is just a Cyclone homer and particularly bright. I'd actually take his criticism as an endorsement.

Chris Williams recently tweeted that Darian DeVries, Dana Ford and Kirk Speraw all still in the mix as well
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Redbirds4Life » March 21st, 2017, 1:10 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
lime wrote:the only commentary I see from Des Moines media is from Chris Williams, who is just a Cyclone homer and particularly bright. I'd actually take his criticism as an endorsement.

Chris Williams recently tweeted that Darian DeVries, Dana Ford and Kirk Speraw all still in the mix as well

I would wonder how serious Dana Ford is? I have always heard that he was waiting for Muller to move on from ISU and then Dana being his replacement.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Drakey » March 21st, 2017, 7:44 pm

One thing you DON'T need at Drake are Iowa connections. Iowa produces very few D1 basketball players. Iowa and Iowa State take who they want, and what's left go to UNI. When Drake has had good players, they have not been from Iowa. Des Moines should be much more appealing to players from metropolitan areas that produce a lot of talent. not counting Chicago, Des Moines is easily the nicest and most vibrant city in the Valley. Drake has one of the more appealing campuses, and it should not be difficult to recruit here. None of the news people around here, including Chris Williams have any knowledge of or interest in Drake. their comments are meaningless.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 21st, 2017, 7:52 pm

Drakey wrote:One thing you DON'T need at Drake are Iowa connections. Iowa produces very few D1 basketball players. Iowa and Iowa State take who they want, and what's left go to UNI. When Drake has had good players, they have not been from Iowa. Des Moines should be much more appealing to players from metropolitan areas that produce a lot of talent. not counting Chicago, Des Moines is easily the nicest and most vibrant city in the Valley. Drake has one of the more appealing campuses, and it should not be difficult to recruit here. None of the news people around here, including Chris Williams have any knowledge of or interest in Drake. their comments are meaningless.

Never been to Des Moines. What's special about it?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball