How does the MVC sell itself to expansion candidates?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Pinkie » April 6th, 2017, 11:17 am

Honest question here: what are the primary selling points the Valley has at their disposal when trying to lure the best possible expansion candidates? Without WSU the league looks a lot like some of the other mid major leagues and convincing a quality school to leave behind established relationships and probably NCAA credits to join the MVC could be more difficult than some imagine.
Pinkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How does the MVC sell itself to expansion candidates?

Postby tribecalledquest » April 6th, 2017, 11:28 am

Pinkie wrote:Honest question here: what are the primary selling points the Valley has at their disposal when trying to lure the best possible expansion candidates? Without WSU the league looks a lot like some of the other mid major leagues and convincing a quality school to leave behind established relationships and probably NCAA credits to join the MVC could be more difficult than some imagine.

Exactly. That's why selling it to a Belmont would be REALLY hard. Even Valpo for that matter. I think selling it to a team based on good basketball but better geographical fit or an OBVIOUS upgrade in all sports is what you sell.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » April 6th, 2017, 11:28 am

Pinkie wrote:Honest question here: what are the primary selling points the Valley has at their disposal when trying to lure the best possible expansion candidates? Without WSU the league looks a lot like some of the other mid major leagues and convincing a quality school to leave behind established relationships and probably NCAA credits to join the MVC could be more difficult than some imagine.

The selling point for the MVC is the opportunity for an at-large bid if you have an excellent season and don't win your conference tournament. By no stretch guaranteed, but the possibility at least exists. Not so much in lower conferences.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » April 6th, 2017, 11:30 am

unipanther99 wrote:

The selling point for the MVC is the opportunity for an at-large bid if you have an excellent season and don't win your conference tournament. By no stretch guaranteed, but the possibility at least exists. Not so much in lower conferences.

If you need 30+ wins to be an at-large team in the MVC, is that really different than in the Horizon, et. al?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 6th, 2017, 11:32 am

unipanther99 wrote:

17-1 with a win over WSU and only loss to WSU is what ISU just did .. Wasn't enough. Take WSU out? ummm not sure how you are getting an at-large that you couldn't get in any other conference (non-conf schedule only)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 6th, 2017, 11:35 am

Cdizzle wrote:If you need 30+ wins to be an at-large team in the MVC, is that really different than in the Horizon, et. al?

Everyone needs to get better. I think they will.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 6th, 2017, 11:38 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:If you need 30+ wins to be an at-large team in the MVC, is that really different than in the Horizon, et. al?

Why now? Suddenly, after 10 years of decay and losing most of the available in-conference opportunities to gain resume wins, everyone will wake up tomorrow and say "hey, I know, lets go get better!"?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » April 6th, 2017, 11:42 am

Well, there's the Animal House approach to selling new members on the conference: The MVC has a long tradition of existence, both to its members and the community at large.

Or we could point out how many MVC teams tend to graduate to better conferences.

I honestly don't see why a Belmont would move to the MVC, though I hope I am wrong about that.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » April 6th, 2017, 11:52 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Why now? Suddenly, after 10 years of decay and losing most of the available in-conference opportunities to gain resume wins, everyone will wake up tomorrow and say "hey, I know, lets go get better!"?

We went from a season two years ago where first and second team players were all Seniors. Last year, was a major transition season, simply based on the quality of players the conference lost.

Generally speaking, I hear you. But, you Shocker fans continue to act like the other schools don't want to get better....they do....they need to hire the right coach or avoid major transfers that killed their progress (Reggie Lynch, Marcus Marshall, Nic Moore, Jordan Caroline, Josh Cunningham). WSU hit a grand slam on their coach (2x) and now the fans act like they are the billy bad asses of the block. You did nothing, your AD/President did. It's not a magic formula.

Everyone will get better. I guarantee you that.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby arkstfan » April 6th, 2017, 11:55 am

It is really simple.

Know who you are.
Know who your target is.
Recognize what your target considers your flaws to be.
Try to understand what your target wants.
Sell what you offer to help your target attain what they want.

You can't one size a pitch unless all your targets are identical.

If you were targeting Little Rock or Texas Arlington, you talk about how accessible the southern portion of the league is Little Rock in sports that can bus, you talk about air access for both. In both cases you talk about the security that the Valley offers because there is no risk that the membership votes to make FBS football a required sport.

If you are targeting Valparaiso it is academic compatibility with other private institutions and the league's ability to successfully manage an environment where publics and privates are cooperative, and talk travel and regional branding.

etc etc for the various schools.
arkstfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball