AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: AAC approves Wichita State to join its ranks

Postby tribecalledquest » April 7th, 2017, 11:35 am

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Bball Junkie wrote:So, with giving less than 24 months notice to the league, Wichita is not eligible to receive any money for their NCAA tournament credits, right? So, those will be distributed evenly among the remaining 9 Valley teams?

That's correct. The league was siphoning off as much as they could while WSU was in the league, so it's not much of a difference. Well, it's about $2.25MM over the next 6 years by my calculations, but whatever. Keep the change.

They weren't 'siphoning off' anything. The distribution structure has been the exact same since the 90s.

Split into 12 'shares'
1 to the league office
2 to the team earning the share
1 to each of the other 9 teams.

In the mid 1990's Wichita was siphoning off Illinois State, Bradley and SIU :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » April 7th, 2017, 11:53 am

In the year's leading up to Tulsa's exit, Missouri St, Evansville and UNI were brought on board. Only MSU and UE were competent at the time. UNI was a common punch line on the basketball floor. Drake went on probation, Creighton and Bradley had been driven into the ground and in the early stages of rebuilds. Wichita had just one finish higher than 6th (5th) in the post-Fogler days.

Many thought the league was doomed then. These moments are moments of opportunity, not defeat.
Last edited by squirrel on April 7th, 2017, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 7th, 2017, 11:54 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:That's correct. The league was siphoning off as much as they could while WSU was in the league, so it's not much of a difference. Well, it's about $2.25MM over the next 6 years by my calculations, but whatever. Keep the change.

They weren't 'siphoning off' anything. The distribution structure has been the exact same since the 90s.

Split into 12 'shares'
1 to the league office
2 to the team earning the share
1 to each of the other 9 teams.

In the mid 1990's Wichita was siphoning off Illinois State, Bradley and SIU :)

At lease we did something with the money :)
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby indymoon » April 7th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Svoboda wrote:
Wufan wrote:Honestly, a break up between the public and private schools is probably what's needed. It would allow each to pursue their goals with like minded institutions.
Completely agree.

Doesn't that presume that the publics want to spend more money than the private schools? SIU, InSU and MoSt are not in that position. I don't know the specifics but several are actually cutting athletic expenses.
indymoon
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Svoboda » April 7th, 2017, 12:06 pm

indymoon wrote:
Svoboda wrote:
Wufan wrote:Honestly, a break up between the public and private schools is probably what's needed. It would allow each to pursue their goals with like minded institutions.
Completely agree.

Doesn't that presume that the publics want to spend more money than the private schools? SIU, InSU and MoSt are not in that position. I don't know the specifics but several are actually cutting athletic expenses.

Not necessarily. For example, Indiana State, if they have a long term vision to keep football would need to step down into a league like the OVC where they are on par with the other schools budget wise. UNI, Missouri State and SIU can try to ram their way into the MAC, Sun Belt or whatever FBS conference will have them.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AndShock » April 7th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Will definitely still follow the Valley but I'm weird in the sense that I typically follow the mids and lows more than the P5 anyways. Good luck.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Veritas » April 7th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Good Luck MoVal
I'll always have a soft spot for the conference and especially Bradley, Kung-Fu coin-tossing IlSU, SWOMO, Ace-Dad, and Lil Bro Drake whose shoes were always untied.

Will not miss STL, Elgin stupid comments on WSU taking more from the MoVal than what is contributed by the Shox, or that MVFC commish who ridiculed WSU last summer about looking at putting a football team in the conference. Definite strategic blunders.

Now go kick some ass! I'll keep an eye out for MoVal teams and cheer your success.
Go Valley...
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » April 7th, 2017, 2:11 pm

).
Last edited by mvcfan on April 7th, 2017, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » April 7th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I've been a Valley fan for decades going back to the 1960's. I have a lot of great memories of Valley teams and games. So there will be no parting bombs from me. I'll only wish each of you Best of Wishes and I'll be watching and cheering for you unless it is against us (or our best interests)
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Singeril » April 7th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Although I am happy for Wichita State for earning this step up, I have to say that I'm very sad for the university to leave the Valley. I have been a Valley fan all my life...from having a mother who is a Bradley alum and who had memories of the Melchiore days at BU to all of the great Central Illinois fans. The entire family was full of Bradley fans...one cousin is still a season ticket holder. I grew up a BU fan. When ISU-R joined the MVC, I had an interest in the Redbirds as well. I was actually a paperboy for the Bloomington Pantagraph. Eventually, I ended up at Wichita as a student and became a loyal Shocker fan during those days of Levingston, Carr, and Sherrod. Those were great years. My career took me to the east coast but I still followed the Valley...my roots were strong. A few years back, my family had the opportunity to move back to Valley territory. It's been great to see all of my old "friends" during this time. I hate to see this all end, wished the Valley was stronger like it was back in the day (I remember fierce Louisville vs. Bradley games at Robertson Field House) and that a move wasn't happening...but, it's time for the Shockers to do just that. Go Shocks! Go AAC! Go Valley!
Singeril
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball