How to improve the MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How to improve the MVC?

Postby Phi13 » April 15th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.
Phi13
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 15th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Phi13 wrote:Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.

I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 15th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Phi13 wrote:Getting to 7th will be very hard, given that Wichita State left for the clear-cut seventh-best conference. Eighth could be possible, though.

I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.

I can't see in any year that the MVC is capable of being better than any P5, the Big East or the American. The top 7 are pretty set now. A10 and MWC are probably your 8 and 9, MVC at 10 would be an accomplishment going forward
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 15th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

I can't see in any year that the MVC is capable of being better than any P5, the Big East or the American. The top 7 are pretty set now. A10 and MWC are probably your 8 and 9, MVC at 10 would be an accomplishment going forward

Without changes, sure. Small minded. Stop thinking like title brother or you'll stay little brother.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Without changes, sure. Small minded. Stop thinking like title brother or you'll stay little brother.

You clearly don't understand dick about how any of this works. Your ideas are horrid. The MVCwasnt consistently top 7 when we were getting 4 teams in. No f****** way it happens now.

You want to know who whites themselves out to all the P5s they could? Savannah State. Guess where they are. Moving down to D2
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » April 15th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I didn't mean in one season. I meant they need to be the yearly 6th or 7th. 8th on a down year.

I've yet to see what changes the MVC can make that will allow them to compete with P5+BE+American.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » April 15th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Our best years can compete with the Mountain West, but the A10 and AAC have locked themselves into the 7/8 spots. No shot at anything above 9th going forward.

We just need to have the perspective that that still makes us a very good league...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 16th, 2017, 4:28 am

uniftw wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

You clearly don't understand dick about how any of this works. Your ideas are horrid. The MVCwasnt consistently top 7 when we were getting 4 teams in. No f****** way it happens now.

You want to know who whites themselves out to all the P5s they could? Savannah State. Guess where they are. Moving down to D2

And, you're clearly stuck with stepchild syndrom. If the A-10 can do it with Duquense and La Salle the MVC can do it with Evansville and Stayed. Wake up! The MVC was behind the colonial this season. Without WSU they're going to fall even further down the ladder. And, even if they don't 12th isn't good enough.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » April 16th, 2017, 5:50 am

Still top 12 to 15 conference is not bad.Even when the Jays, shox were good
We were still only I believe 10th best conference.
My one gripe is it's nice to watch my team on the road play on ESPN3.But
When that play at home people can still watch them.Somehow the games
Need to be blacked out within a 100 mile radius.Thats what is hurting attendance
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » April 16th, 2017, 10:02 am

I've seen a lot of discussion about ways to improve RPI and in so doing improve the overall ranking of the conference. Most make sense like limiting any scheduled games above a 200-250 RPI, trying to schedule more teams in the 100-150 range etc. etc. Win those games and all that certainly helps the conference standing and ranking as well as lifting the individual standing of each team doing it. But quite frankly RPI doesn't mean squat if your goal is to make an NCAA Tourney; it can be used against you if it's too low, but we've seen too many cases where a solid RPI [ 30's] didn't get a team in. Anymore it's all about top 50 -100 wins, and that's the dilemma for our conference plain and simple. Scheduling is the only answer, but how to accomplish that consistently is becoming almost impossible. One of the things I hate about the current Conference Tourney format is that for major conferences you have 2-3 bubble teams in each conference getting several shots at top 100 wins against teams that are often already Tournament solids, while conferences like ours present the opposite.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball