If they want 12 but only sure on 11?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If they want 12 but only sure on 11?

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2017, 7:22 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
SMUfan wrote:Just for discussion sake.

Say the MVC takes Valpo and Murray State. Belmont turns the MVC down. But the league wants 12.

Who would be the non talked about selection?

How about UALR?

How about Wright State?

How about NKU?

etc.................

First, I hope the MVC adds Murray and Valpo. Those are the two non-negotaible adds IMO. I'd prefer to stay at 11.

But if 12 is a must, I'd be fine with Arlington, Little Rock, Oral Roberts, UIC, Wright St, NDSU, SDSU, Oakland, or Northern Kentucky. I vehemently oppose Milwaukee and Omaha. Ditto UMKC, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in driving several hours to see that arena.

But any expansion to 12 that excludes either Murray or Valpo is a failure to me. Include them both, and I could bite the bullet on the 12th as long as it isn't Omaha.
Any talk of a 12th beyond Valpo and Murray State, that doesn't include Belmont, should stop with be from UT-A, UALR, Oakland, or Wright State from your list.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SMUfan » April 18th, 2017, 8:08 am

From what I have heard NKU's arena is very nice and seats 9400.

This coming season the University of Cincinnati is going to use it while theirs has a major remodeling.

Someone fill me in on Oakland.
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Drakey » April 18th, 2017, 8:18 am

What are the negatives on Milwaukee? They seem to be committed to success. Good location. Attendance I think has been decent when they are good.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » April 18th, 2017, 8:24 am

Drakey wrote:What are the negatives on Milwaukee? They seem to be committed to success. Good location. Attendance I think has been decent when they are good.

Agree Drakey. Would definitely look at Milwaukee and/or Wright State before considering UMKC.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2017, 8:47 am

Redhawk wrote:
Drakey wrote:What are the negatives on Milwaukee? They seem to be committed to success. Good location. Attendance I think has been decent when they are good.

Agree Drakey. Would definitely look at Milwaukee and/or Wright State before considering UMKC.

UMKC should never be considered - which means they get an invite.

UW-M isn't terrible, I just can't get a feel that they will ever be consistently competitive. Their records were great starting with the turn of the century. Bo Ryan was there to start the whole thing in 1999, then Bruce Pearl Took over from 01-05. Rob Jeter, who was a hot name in about 2013, stuck around a year or two too long and went from THE hot name to leaving UWM for an assistant job at UNLV. Lavall Jordan's tenure is off to a rocky start

11-24 - Jordan RPI 258
20-13 - Jeter RPI 173
14-16 RPI 207
21-14 - NCAA tournament 0-1 RPI 135
8-24 RPI 307
20-14 RPI 124
19-14 RPI 92
20-14 RPI 130
17-14 RPI 134
16-16 RPI 180
9-22 RPI 241
22-9 - NCAA tournament 1-1 RPI 52
26-6 - S16 - BRUCE PEARL RPI 20
20-11 RPI 73
24-8 - NCAA tournament 0-1 (NO RPI NUMBERS THIS FAR BACK)
16-13
15-13 - BO RYAN
15-14

Now, to show what kind of path Bo started, and Bruce continued, UWM had 5 consecutive single digit win seasons before Bo started.

They've been very up and down, but the highs haven't been real high in quite a while. Since Pearl left they have just 2 top 100 RPI seasons, and one of them was the first year after Pearl left. They have as many 300+ RPI seasons as top 100s since then.

They are fighting for attention in Milwaukee, just a 2 minute walk from away from Marquette's arena and in a state that is 95% Badger and 4.9% Marquette. Seriously, Google the arenas. They are right across State St from each other off the Milwaukee River.

I don't hate the idea of UWM, but I'm not even in like with them at this moment.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » April 18th, 2017, 9:05 am

You know, at some point, you would think that the MVC needs to add someone....kind of feel like no noise, might not be good. They aren't going to replace Wichita State, it is just not going to happen. There isn't a program that good out there that you could get. My two-cents, I would add the 3 best possible teams that I could right now. Creighton left....Wichita State left.....who is next? If you just add one, you will be in the same spot in 5 years when the next team bails.

I have heard/read that Doug Elgin considers himself and the league to be "proactive," well you need to be really proactive right now. If this goes more south than it already has, Doug Elgin needs to turn in his resignation.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » April 18th, 2017, 9:12 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:You know, at some point, you would think that the MVC needs to add someone....kind of feel like no noise, might not be good. They aren't going to replace Wichita State, it is just not going to happen. There isn't a program that good out there that you could get. My two-cents, I would add the 3 best possible teams that I could right now. Creighton left....Wichita State left.....who is next? If you just add one, you will be in the same spot in 5 years when the next team bails.

I have heard/read that Doug Elgin considers himself and the league to be "proactive," well you need to be really proactive right now. If this goes more south than it already has, Doug Elgin needs to turn in his resignation.

+1
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2017, 9:16 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:You know, at some point, you would think that the MVC needs to add someone....kind of feel like no noise, might not be good. They aren't going to replace Wichita State, it is just not going to happen. There isn't a program that good out there that you could get. My two-cents, I would add the 3 best possible teams that I could right now. Creighton left....Wichita State left.....who is next? If you just add one, you will be in the same spot in 5 years when the next team bails.

Imagine if the rumors that a WSU fan put in another thread of another current MVC member looking to bail are true. No idea who it is, but would it shock anyone to learn that one of UNI, ISUr, MSU or ISUb is exploring some kind of option?

- MSU is in a strange financial place and is now a GIGANTIC geographic outlier.

- ISUb is much better served in the OVC in terms of budget and competitiveness in both FB and MBB

- Neither UNI or ISUr is in a position to make any kind of move to anywhere that would be smart, but would it shock anyone to find out options are being actively explored?

Indiana State would be the interesting one. Let's pretend Murray State and Valpo are the adds. Valpo becomes the "replacement" for WSU - which there isn't one but it's the "best phrase" to use right now. What if the other piece we are waiting on is ISUb, MuSU, the OVC, MVC and MVFC to finalize a negotiation for what would ammount to a trade of the two. It'd stay a 10 team league. Could just insert Murray State into Indiana State's slot on the football schedule and then figure new travel partners out for other sports.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 18th, 2017, 9:17 am

Doug Elgin works for the University Presidents. He can't do a damn thing without their go ahead...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 18th, 2017, 9:35 am

BCPanther wrote:

Doug Elgin works for the University Presidents. He can't do a damn thing without their go ahead...

Elgin does get a lot of blame that he may not deserve.

It's why a school like Loyola gets added. The privates wouldn't vote for a bigger public school with football. Thus the public/football schools have no choice but to go along with Loyola, UIC, UMKC,etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball