MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team league

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC targeting Valpo & Murray State to create 11 team lea

Postby ValpoTX » April 20th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Drakey wrote:Milwaukee spends more, has a 10,000 seat arena and appears to be committed. They may be the best overall choice.

You might want to research their athletic department troubles over the last few years, before you suggest such a thing. They look good on paper, until you peel back several really negative instances over the last 3-4 years, which included a postseason ban due to APR...

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pant ... 29831.html

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/rob- ... 01751.html

http://www.greenberglawoffice.com/uwm-b ... nder-fire/

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/coll ... c1f52.html

http://fox6now.com/2016/03/29/uwm-athle ... rob-jeter/
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lakesbison » April 20th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Mikovio wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:ps- I get it , this what UNI did to NDSU before in football, and they don't want to see NDSU do the same in basketball. I understand. NDSU is big enough to be a Football & Basketball school, trust me.

Then prove it. Here's a list of basketball budgets for expansion candidates:

134) University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2,877,237
143) Valparaiso University 2,666,213
157) Wright State University-Main Campus 2,445,427
176) University of Illinois at Chicago 2,231,609
177) Murray State University 2,218,712
216) University of Missouri-Kansas City 1,815,762
274) South Dakota State University 1,443,001
278) North Dakota State University-Main Campus 1,417,450

That's pathetic. Their coach they have now is paid $190k and his only experience is being a former NDSU assistant. UIC has Steve McClain, former Wyoming coach and Indiana assistant, and pays him $375k. UWM has LaVall Jordan, former Butler, Iowa and Michigan assistant, and pays him $350k.

NDSU can apply later when they decide their head basketball coach is worth more than their football coordinators. Adding them now makes zero sense because every dollar of revenue the athletic department generates is diverted to football. Their greatest player is Lawrence Alexander, a kid from Peoria who all Valley schools passed on (which is in itself a crime but illustrates how flukish their modest recent success has been).

Ben woodside is best player ever. Put up 38 vs #3 Kansas 1st round NCAA. Had 60 vs drake in a holiday tourney & got a standing o. He's Last NCAA guy to have 60 or more (2009). Game wining shot v Oakland w 4 secs left to get NDSU into ncaas on their 1st time eligible beat #8 Wisconsin on their floor to break 66 game non conf win streak. Last 7 years in euro ball
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » April 21st, 2017, 11:31 am

From what I've been hearing it sounds like there is about a 99.99% chance that Murray State joins the MVC based on what happened at their big meeting this morning. I'm very happy with this decision.

I bet that Valparaiso also joins the MVC. It's just a matter of time I think. I really hope both are able to be in our conference for basketball starting next season with a 20 game conference schedule. I'm ready for this!!!

Hopefully the MVFC goes to divisions too (assuming Murray St joins the MVFC). I also think there's a good chance that UND and Murray St both join for football at the beginning of the 2018 season. I know the schedules have been made, and UND isn't supposed to join until 2020, but at the FCS level they can be changed pretty easily.
MVFC West= NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, UNI, MSU
MVFC East= YSU, INST, ILST, Murray, WIU, SIU

Adding any of the Dakota schools simply wasn't an option. The MVC and the Summit League basically have an agreement that their scholarship football teams will play in the MVFC.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » April 21st, 2017, 11:52 am

mvfcfan wrote:From what I've been hearing it sounds like there is about a 99.99% chance that Murray State joins the MVC based on what happened at their big meeting this morning. I'm very happy with this decision.

I bet that Valparaiso also joins the MVC. It's just a matter of time I think. I really hope both are able to be in our conference for basketball starting next season with a 20 game conference schedule. I'm ready for this!!!

Hopefully the MVFC goes to divisions too (assuming Murray St joins the MVFC). I also think there's a good chance that UND and Murray St both join for football at the beginning of the 2018 season. I know the schedules have been made, and UND isn't supposed to join until 2020, but at the FCS level they can be changed pretty easily.

Adding any of the Dakota schools simply wasn't an option. The MVC and the Summit League basically have an agreement that their scholarship football teams will play in the MVFC.

I think a lot of the football angst could be cured if we just changed the damn name of the league and moved on. Call it The Great Plains Conference and move on.

*It'll never happen, but it would greatly help NDSU with the inferiority complex that they continue to have for some unexplained reason.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SMUfan » April 21st, 2017, 11:58 am

mvfcfan wrote:From what I've been hearing it sounds like there is about a 99.99% chance that Murray State joins the MVC based on what happened at their big meeting this morning. I'm very happy with this decision.

What commitments does ND and Murray have for the 2018 schedule?
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2017, 12:24 pm

SMUfan wrote:

What commitments does ND and Murray have for the 2018 schedule?

They won't be joining before 2020.

UND isn't joining until 2020 even though they are joining The Summit in 2018. MVFC schedules are already set through the 2019 season.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherU » April 21st, 2017, 12:29 pm

ValpoTX wrote:
Drakey wrote:Milwaukee spends more, has a 10,000 seat arena and appears to be committed. They may be the best overall choice.

You might want to research their athletic department troubles over the last few years, before you suggest such a thing. They look good on paper, until you peel back several really negative instances over the last 3-4 years, which included a postseason ban due to APR...

How did I know I'd find you here?

Anyone who is close to the Milwaukee program (unless they're naive) knows that the athletic director sabotaged the team during the final years of the Rob Jeter era in order to fire Rob Jeter. That happened a year ago. Her job is tied to the success of the new coach, LaVall Jordan, who has 100% support from the community and fan base. She would be absolutely nuts to do anything but try her hardest to support the basketball program now.

The APR ban was due to mishandled paperwork by a former compliance officer who left in 2013. He failed to file paperwork on several players who had been playing pro ball and would be exempt from the APR score (including Chiefs TE Demetrius Harris, who has since gotten his degree). He also failed to file paperwork on subsequent appeals, and was the only employee in athletics to be aware of it (as he was both the only person in compliance and the administrator overseeing academics in MBB). He left in summer 2013. Since they discovered the problem, the basketball team has put up a perfect 1000 APR score. Academics are not an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I want the AD in the unemployment line in a minute, but there's something else to consider: in the three years that Amanda Braun was trying to stop the basketball program from succeeding so she could fire Rob Jeter, and the team still won 55 games and went to the NCAA Tournament in that time. How are they going to do now that she has gotten out of the way?

Panther Arena is a 10,000-seat facility that is practically a landmark. It was built in the early 1950's to house the Milwaukee Hawks (now Atlanta) and was home to the Bucks, Panthers and Marquette until we dropped out of D-I for the 1980's and the Bucks and Marquette moved across the street to the Bradley Center.

It was talked about as a possible location for the new Milwaukee Bucks arena, but that is currently being built directly north of the Bradley Center. Once finished, there will be a full plaza and new buildings put up on the space of the current Bradley Center, which is right in between the new Bucks Arena and the Panther Arena.

Because the new Bucks Arena will not include the Milwaukee Admirals minor league hockey team, the Admirals moved to Panther Arena for the 2016-17 season. They also spent about $7 million upgrading the arena, with plans to spend more to bring it up to speed. This is in addition to the millions the Wisconsin Center District (the state entity that runs the Arena and the convention center across the street to the south) had already spent on brand new seats in Milwaukee Panthers school colors and on a brand new video board inside the arena.

Our basketball arena is as MVC as it gets:

Trust me when I say this: AD's are temporary. So are coaches, although I believe we've got a real winner at the moment - LaVall Jordan almost got the Butler job when they hired Holtmann, after all.

If the MVC goes with Milwaukee, they're getting a school that would be the biggest in the Missouri Valley (28,000), with a basketball arena that has been updated very recently and has more updates happening this offseason, and a winner in the NCAA Tournament. We're 3-4 in the Big Dance and we've done it under two head coaches.

You should take Valpo too. The ARC may be rough, but it's a great place to watch a game and the town loves the team. Remember that both of us used to kick the s*** out of Loyola on an annual basis.

Plus, by adding Milwaukee and Valpo, you bring in two Chicagoland schools and solidify that area for recruiting. We also have a relative hotbed of recruiting talent if you can get it.

In a survey a couple years ago, students and fans overwhelmingly cited "low level opponents" such as Youngstown State as why they wouldn't go to games. Moving to the MVC would eliminate that in a heartbeat. I'd be willing to bet we'd be in Top 3 in attendance by Year 3 in the MVC.

For big opponents, Milwaukee has always come out - this has included conference games like Valpo and Green Bay (who I'm assuming we'd maintain a rolling home-and-home if we moved to the MVC). Around here, MVC schools have names that will draw fans.

We went 2-2 in a series with UNI from 2010-11 to 2013-14. How was UNI in those years?

We're ready for the big time. So is Valpo - I could see them using the MVC move as a springboard to upgrading the ARC. Don't sweat their football team being bad - they're Pioneer League non-scholarship, so they wouldn't be dragging down the MVFC.

You guys may feel spurned by adding Loyola to the conference four years ago. They've gone 10th, 6th, 8th and 5th since joining the MVC. Well, they weren't the class of the Horizon League. In the six years before leaving the conference, Loyola was 7th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 10th and 7th. They were doormats. You know who was the class of the conference? Milwaukee and Valpo. Well, Butler is gone. But we were 3-3 in our last six games against Butler (including 2-1 in 2010-11 when they were in the Final Four), and Valpo won their last 4 games with Butler.

Pull in Milwaukee, Valpo and a third strong program, and you're set. We're not looking anymore. The MVC would be the forever home for both of our programs. I can't speak for Valpo fans, but at Milwaukee we've felt that way for a very long time.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 21st, 2017, 12:38 pm

Milwaukee Panther Arena is a great arena.

I am curious...since it now has the UWM name on it what are the finances? Do they still pay rent to play there every game? That attendance needs to get back in the 4,000K range though.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2017, 12:46 pm

PantherU wrote:We went 2-2 in a series with UNI from 2010-11 to 2013-14. How was UNI in those years?

We're ready for the big time. So is Valpo - I could see them using the MVC move as a springboard to upgrading the ARC. Don't sweat their football team being bad - they're Pioneer League non-scholarship, so they wouldn't be dragging down the MVFC.

UNI didn't make the NCAA tournament in any of those years.
13/14 UNI finished 16-15 - Milwaukee won that one
12/13 UNI finished 21-15 - UNI won that one
11/12 UNI finish 20-14 - UNI won that one
10/11 UNI finished 20-14 - Milwaukee won that one

The 10/11 team was coming of a S15 but had lost 4 of 5 starters. 2 of the 4 were 4 year starters including the MVC POY, another player that had finished in the top 3 in the POY voting (I think), one of the lost seniors is one of the best shooters in UNI history, and the final one was probably the most UNI UNI player ever in terms of work ethic.

No one has ever been worried about Valpo football.

Ready for the big time? No, you're not.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » April 21st, 2017, 1:21 pm

PantherU makes a lot of good points.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball